It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Saying "Global Warming"!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The problem with global warming, some environmentalists believe, is “global warming.”

The term turns people off, fostering images of shaggy-haired liberals, economic sacrifice and complex scientific disputes, according to extensive polling and focus group sessions conducted by ecoAmerica, a nonprofit environmental marketing and messaging firm in Washington.

Instead of grim warnings about global warming, the firm advises, talk about “our deteriorating atmosphere.” Drop discussions of carbon dioxide and bring up “moving away from the dirty fuels of the past.” Don’t confuse people with cap and trade; use terms like “cap and cash back” or “pollution reduction refund.”

www.nytimes.com...

Not sure if this topic has been posted yet. If it has, moderators, feel free to remove it.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
using the term "Global Warming" is heresy now , it's climate change !

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Well looking at the average temperature for the past decade, the temperatures are actually falling, not rising. Which makes sense, somehow, if smoke covers the sun, the temperature drops. When anything blocks the sun, it gets colder. And if you didn't know, since the sudden drop in temperature during the Dark Ages we have lived in what geologists call "the Little Iceage".If we go 1000 years back the climate was way warmer than today, and yet another thousand years back, and the Sea of Gallilee frose over during winter. Stop this haywire-talk about man made climate change due to CO2. The amount of so called greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere rise when and after the Sun has been hotter than usual, and drops equally when the Sun is colder than normal. It should be common sense. There are basically two things which control the temperature here on earth. That is the Sun and the Earth itself.

Man's contribution to the greenhouse gasses is about 0.28% That's like 400 vs 401. Comeon, do the simple maths and understand that this whole climate madness is a scam. We can change the climate, but we don't do it with CO2, that's for damn sure.

[edit on 31/5/2009 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
So instead of calling the big money schemes for what they are, we should call them things that "sound" better?

Uhh, no people need to continue to call it how people see it. Because Cap and trade means cap and more money in the corporations pocket. "Climate Change" is about retarded because the Climate is continually changing. The atmosphere is continually deteriorating. Doesn't matter if we didn't have all this technology.

The whole issue with Global Warming is it assumes that the only thing that affects the climate is humans. It completely ignores everything outside of earth.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The phrase "global warming" was corrected to "global climate change" at least 15 years ago. Maybe more. I have a vague memory of being at a lecture when I was in high school where people were talking about the inaccuracy of the term "global warming" and how it should be replaced. That would have been no later than 1990.

In recent years, however, the phrase has re-emerged, largely through the efforts of certain American media outlets, who are fond of saying "so much for global warming" when a freak snowstorm hits in June, as opposed to "so much for global climate change". Go figure.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Forget the terminology, remove the politics from the science of the earth and everyone will know the truth.

Politics are the cause of the problems, remove that from this equation and you'll see how badly flawed these politicized theories (no matter what you call them) really are.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
The phrase "global warming" was corrected to "global climate change" at least 15 years ago. Maybe more. I have a vague memory of being at a lecture when I was in high school where people were talking about the inaccuracy of the term "global warming" and how it should be replaced. That would have been no later than 1990.

Global warming is merely part of climate change, rather than the entire phenomenon whilst "Climate Change" is the whole range of events including global warming, cooling and whatever else.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
They don't want to use the term 'global warming' anymore because people are waking up to the fact that 'global warming' is a natural cyclical event and therefore Al Gore and those that want the 'carbon credit' scam to work can't use the term 'global warming' anymore.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Piranha

"Cap and Cash Back"

Got to love the efforts to try and make cap and trade seem like something everyone would want. To try and hide the fact that organizations that deal with carbon credits (like the one Al Gore chairs) stand to make huge profits from Global War... Sorry "Climate Change".

After looking into AGW for a while now, its incredible the amount of money and effort that has been put into the whole 'green' movement. For instance, over 15 years ago, the UN was talking about using a "pollution tax" (carbon tax) to fund reform of the UN, NOT to combat "climate change". Little wonder then, that the UN's IPCC is urging for urgent action (carbon taxes) in the name of climate change.

If you look into the past and see how little CO2 effected our climate then, its hard to see how there is still so much support for efforts to cut CO2. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for reducing pollution, but there are much bigger fish to fry than CO2 ( the element that plants, therfore us rely on to survive.) Deforestation, extensive fertilization wreaking havoc with natural eco-systems, pharmaceuticals and chemicals in water supply.

But there's much more money to be made off CO2 as practiclally all our major fuel sources release it in one form or another. Let's just hope governments wake up to the pressure from scientists saying that carbon taxes will not solve anything

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Um haven't you watched Inconvenient truth I'm willing to wager Gore uses the term global worming more that once. I've see Canada's Ale Gore, David Suzuki use the term recently and other media using the term who are on side of the belief that man is responsible for made global worming.
BTW the sun is going through a lower period of activity , this is a fact, I spoke to a professor on this and yeah you'll have to take my word

[edit on 7-6-2009 by OpusMarkII]

[edit on 7-6-2009 by OpusMarkII]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OpusMarkII

I thought I'd post this which ElectricUniverse posted on this thread.

Evidence for Climate Variations Induced by the Solar Cycle
William Bruckman1, Elio Ramos2
Department of Physics and Electronics1 and Department of Mathematics2
University of Puerto Rico at Humacao
CUH Station
100 Route 908
Humacao PR 00791-4300
Abstract
We argue that the solar activity cycle induce periodic variations in rain-snow precipitation and sea-air temperatures, that cause mean sea level oscillations. We present observational evidence in favor of the above hypothesis, starting with a brief historical background of studies of solar cycle influence on climate. The evidence indicate that the Solar and Cosmic rays cycles are correlated with changes in temperature and precipitation. We analyzed data for the monthly mean sea level at San Juan and Magueyes Island in Puerto Rico, seeking correlations between sea level fluctuations and solar, cosmic rays and temperature cycles. Our analysis suggest that a solar activity cycle minimum (cosmic ray intensity maximum) correlates with lower than average temperatures and mean sea levels. We discussed, as a posible explanation of the above correlations, that the solar and cosmic rays cycles could cause larger than average accumulation of continental water and snow with lower temperatures contracting the oceans, thus implying lower mean sea levels. If this is the case, we predict that lower than average temperatures and mean sea levels will occur around the year 2009,with a delay of about 2 year after the 2007 solar activity minimum.

mate.uprh.edu...

Could this mean we'll see further global cooling over the next few years? No doubt we'll still keep seeing the 'climate change scare stories' in the MSM over the next few months, culminating in the signing of the new 'kyoto' treaty in copenhagen this Christmas.
Then if we do see further cooling, it would almost be funny, except for the fact that each and every one of us will be paying for it.

top topics

join