It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea may launch intercontinental missile: report

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

I would certainly not like to see them get that last 1800km, which is why I stated that I would rather see the war start on their soil than ours. I have always felt that war with North Korea is inevitable. Not because of communism vs. democracy, but because the man running it is certifiably insane.

I would prefer that the war be started before they can attack our homeland, not after. This isn't like Iraq, where there's a few people showing off some blurry photographs and one Administration telling the whole world "Oh no, WMDs!" This is North Korea, they have nuclear weapons, they've stated they have them, they've detonated them, and now they're actively developing missiles in full view of the world. We are not being deceived this time.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Actually, they don't have the right to threaten the entire world with nuclear war every time their demands aren't met. They don't have the right to threaten nuclear war because nobody will build them reactors. They don't have the right to threaten nuclear war because South Korea, a sovereign nation, enters into agreements that they don't like. They don't have the right to aim tens of thousands of artillery pieces at South Korean civilians in order to force the world to allow them to fire missiles over Japan as an intimidation tactic.

North Korea has very little rights at this point, because they relinquished the vast majority of them by being completely insane. Kim Jong Il has the right to die so the people in his country can someday become free and happy.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
So it's ok for other countries to do threaten war but not them? How come? Are they somehow better than NK?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
It's certainly enough to make you loose some sleep over... Except for some that claim NK has every right to own a nuke... Ahem, If they had a prosperous self sustaining economy and weren't so [color=gold]needy perhaps more people would agree that poor lil' kim is absolutely entitled.

They aren't; NK is utterly dependent on many nations. Where do you think our tax money has been going, in the order of billions, for decades? It wouldn't surprise me abit if Bush cut massive aid to a number of countries when he got into office. Many countries went sour after he was elected. If they get boatloads of cash they could care less who's in office. When the cash ceases, which it has in just about ever economy, people scream foul.

In NK's case they rattle sabre's because, as it's been reported elsewhere, even their buds in China are fed up with them.

Someone else asked a bunch of supposedly rhetorical questions... They made no sense at all. Anti-stars for your post. The United States is the only country ever to nuke a population. Seemed like the thing to do at the time.

It was horrific (and probably regrettable, considering the devastation) but it would come as no surprise to me were we to carpet bomb NK with China's Russia's and France's blessing.

Carpet bombing 1.2 million NK soldiers with nukes. We've been down that road ... an evil road ... If NK and lil' Kim doesn't stop his crying he'll be walking through a solar flare on earth... unfortunately, so will his soldiers and his gov't.

I certainly can't imagine the world, as a whole, tolerating this behavior and yet another long drawn out ground conflict. Everyone is warred out.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Yes, they are all better than NK. Get over it... they are squealing little [color=gold]needy countries that can't sustain themselves and it's been decided by just about every country that they shouldn't possess nukes.

Don't be a thoughtless Beavis. Your argument screams that you don't understand.

Just because they are a country with a gov't too doesn't mean they are entitled. Just as in a family, if they do nothing and take from everyone else, they'll be respected (kinda, more like tolerated)... BUT not as much as if they are really pulling their own weight. NK needs to find a niche in the world that they can fill...

Being the best negotiators; developing the finest architecture; having the finest pimento's for your martini olive... Something for cryin' out loud.

They offer nothing. Lil' Kim is a tyrant dictator like Bush.
They are [color=gold]needy. They have no leg to stand on, the world owes them nothing and the more they scream ... (the population is NOT at fault) they being Lil' Kim, the more the world will twist his arm.

Unfortunately, NK is probably bankrupt. There's the reason for crying.

EDIT: Typos

[edit on 6·1·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
is Kim a brilliant politician or did he almost and now realizes that he just don't give a #?!
Either is bad...

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Darkpraetorian]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
is Kim a brilliant politician or did he almost and now realizes that he just don't give a #?!
Either is bad...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Absolutely. Most countries that threaten war, do so in defense of their country. Even Iran only threatens to go to war if they have to. Lil Kim threatens war if you fart while you're on the phone with him. Furthermore, most countries don't threaten nuclear war, except as a retaliation for the same.

Please, quit being obtuse about it. I know it's fun to play "devil's advocate" and everybody wants to be the person who made everyone go "Oh, I never thought of it from *that* point of view," but you're failing miserably at it by throwing your support to arguably the most brutal tyrant dictator who lives on the planet today.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I am on the bandwagon with those who feel Kim is itching to go out with a BANG!

He is showing a lust for war, and is behaving as though he has no regard for the repurcussions of his actions should he continue in this direction. IDK, he could possibly have an ally that no one is aware of, one that has great capabilities in war, even in nuclear weapons. I feel like he wants someone to say 'hit me' and he will!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
First of all NK is a sovereign country. They can do whatever they please. Other countries are in no position to say otherwise. They dont have the authority to decide what other countries do. Especially the ones who rattle their own sabers and one in particular which doesn't just threaten war, but actually does it.
You're calling NK insane? Is it not insane to make up lies about WMDS and then level a whole country killing thousands and thousands? You call that "defense of their country". There's a word for that, it's hypocrisy.
Of course they have to play tough, the "free" worls is ganging up against them and black painting them in the media constantly.
Get off your moral high ground. This is what countries do, they make sure they can defend themselves and rattle their sabers to those who are hostile against them. That's their right.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
I am on the bandwagon with those who feel Kim is itching to go out with a BANG!

He is showing a lust for war, and is behaving as though he has no regard for the repurcussions of his actions should he continue in this direction. IDK, he could possibly have an ally that no one is aware of, one that has great capabilities in war, even in nuclear weapons. I feel like he wants someone to say 'hit me' and he will!

it may be something as simple as internal power struggles and kim wanting to insure his sons succession , after all nk is packed full of military and i remember a famous guy warning of the military machine.... think what it must be like in NK.

just this time it all feels a little different to me...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

imho i think you and most people are approaching this from the wrong direction ... we should not be arguing the rights of other states to have nuclear weapons , we should be arguing that NO ONE should have them

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that the definition of sovereignty was "The right to threaten war with every country in the region and nobody's allowed to threaten war back." And you talk to me about "hypocrisy..."

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

I dont think a country which has invaded two countries in the past 8 years and killed over a million people should be lecturing anyone about anything..considering N.korea has not invaded anyone or killed any civilians on foreign soil in that time.Pretty much amounts to a serial killer telling someone not to squash a bug,that is hypocrisy.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Yes, because Iraq and Afghanistan are the topic of this thread. Keep discussing it, because you aren't derailing anything at all. No, not at all.

By the way, I think you should do a bit more research on North Korea before you talk about what they have, and have not done to foreign civilians.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Nothing to do with iraq/afghanistan correct,everything to do with a country which has invaded two countries and killed over a million people lecturing to a country for testing missiles.Im well aware of N.koreas history also,which is why i said in the past 8 years.You should brush up on your reading skills.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
So back on topic, when's the last time anyone read the contents of UN Resolution 1718? Let's not forget who originally signed off on it shall we?

Endorsing the Joint Statement issued on 19 September 2005 by China, the DPRK, Japan, the Republic of Korea, the Russian Federation and the United States,

Link to UN Resolution 1718

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Ah. So because one of the many countries that North Korea routinely threatens is currently involved in other wars, nobody has the right to be concerned?

You're just like the last guy I was arguing with. You're so intent on putting forth the "devil's advocate" opinion that you don't realize exactly what you're advocating: The destabilization of Eastern Asia, due to the nuclearization of that region's most violent, despotic, and threatening dictators.

But hey, the destabilization of half of the world's most populated continent is okay because the U.S. is in some wars in the Middle East. That's actually the argument you're putting forward right now, and it's flat out asinine.

We aren't discussing the U.S.'s crimes in this thread, we are discussing North Korea's. They are a threat to many, many countries other than the United States, so kindly discuss the U.S. elsewhere.

What's your response to Russia, China, Japan, South Korea, and the United Nations Security Counsel's condemnations of North Korea's actions? Are *they* fighting wars in the Middle East? No. They aren't. You're just using the North Korean crisis as an issue to side against the United States on, and that's not merely off-topic, it's pathetic.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
If someone's going to play "devils advocate," one should put a little more effort into it.

Personally, I think the situation has spiraled into a no win situation no matter how you slice it.

PAK GIL YON (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea) said that his country totally rejected resolution 1718 and found it unjustifiable. It was “gangster-like” for the Security Council to adopt such a coercive resolution against the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, while neglecting the nuclear threat posed by the United States against his country. It was a clear testament that the Council had completely lost its impartiality and was persisting in applying double standards to its work. The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea was disappointed that the Council was incapable of offering a single word of concern when the United States threatened to launch nuclear pre-emptive attacks, reinforced its armed forces and conducted large-scale military exercises near the Korean peninsula.

He said that, on 9 October, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea had successfully conducted underground nuclear tests under secure conditions, as a way of bolstering the country’s self-defence. His country’s nuclear test was entirely attributable to United States threats, sanctions and pressure, and every possible effort had been expanded to settle the nuclear issue through dialogue and negotiation.

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea indeed wished to denuclearize the Korean peninsula, he said; yet, the Bush Administration had responded to his country’s patient and sincere efforts with sanctions and blockades. His country had, therefore, felt compelled to prove its possession of nuclear weapons to protect itself from the danger of war from the United States. Also, although his country had conducted a nuclear test -- due to American provocation -- it still remained unchanged in its will to denuclearize the Korean peninsula through dialogue and negotiation, as that had been President Kim Il Sung’s last instruction.

He said the test did not contradict the Joint Statement of the six-party talks to dismantle nuclear weapons and existing nuclear programmes. Rather, it constituted a positive measure for its implementation. The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea had clarified more than once that it would have no need for even a single nuclear weapon as long as the United States dropped its hostile policies towards his country, and as long as confidence was built between the two countries. Instead, the United States had manipulated the Security Council into adopting a resolution pressurizing Pyongyang.

He said the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea was ready for both dialogue and confrontation. If the United States persisted in increasing pressure upon his country, it would continue to take physical countermeasures, considering it as a declaration of war.

Link to Source

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

You are correct about the state of affairs from WW2 and now.
However, grudges like that do not go away.
The USA was the first and only entity to use that terrible device on an actual population.
Do you think that the world has forgotten that?
A lot of ties there with other Asian countries.

I do agree, that taking a proactive stance is the better move.
We should not be waiting around like sitting ducks, but where does this all end?
We are going to stick our noses into someone else's business and they are going to have the balls to do something about it.
They are making their intentions known, by hostile posturing.
A warning shot if you will.
The point is, is a halfway intelligent person going to let "anyone" know their full capability?
Sure, publicly, their LRM program is a failure, however, that does not mean they lack capability.
And like some other responders have stated, NK is just nuts enough to swim a nuke right up our back door.

So I say, NK absolutely has the capability.
I also fear they are nuts enough to do something about it if we try to stop them by bringing the fight to them.
KJ2 will let slip the dogs of war.
The timing could not be more perfect actually, with our interests occupied elsewhere.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join