It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Plant To Open Monday : 110mpg Engines

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Now this sounds great but I am skeptical. I am not saying it isnt true but the claims are hard to believe.

110mpg on E85...I almost chocked when I read that. In a car today designed to run on both fuels E85 gets horrible gas mileage! And E85 isnt doing our country any good. It raises the price of corn so that raises the price on a lot of other things as well.

OK say it is true and the guy has figured out what the rest of the world couldnt. (which I find very hard to believe)...I mean come on in todays world where fuel price are through the roof, there isnt a car co out there that couldnt/wouldnt have done this? Hello, I think that alone could have saved atleast one company from failing.

I hope it is true but there have been great claims in the past that just faded away or ended up with people on America's Most Wanted.

I hate being negative about it but there are always stories of this kind of thing...Like the guy that powers his car with water and has made cutting torches that "burn" water...where did they go? If it is true...how much will it cost? More than the average Joe can afford? Why not partner with a big auto company or all of them and make the technology available to the world. He could stand to make even more money and go down in history as the person that helped the planet.

It is frustrating to see such things and to have worked in a research and development center for engines and watching the thousands of hours or work that goes into fuel maps to optimize the engine for performance, economy and the mother of all things emissions. There is a whole lot to it that isn't really thought of from the types of injectors to the spray pattern of the injectors which affects the way the fuel atomizes and combusts in the cylinder and how little things like that have a big effect on everything. And tolerances is going to free us from foriegn oil...hard for me to swallow but hope its true

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
This gives me chills. I love this story. I hope this is History in the making. I want this to succeed.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
If this guy is showing this kind of promise with his work, the government ought to take every penny back of those bailouts, fire every executive at GM, and give this guy all of GM's employees as well as every last bit of the executive's pay and assets. How's THAT for some seed money with a thank you note from the American public?
It's true pioneers like him we need. Put our money where your mouth is Obama. Real change.

And NO the execs cannot be hired over there as janitors. We have a better place for them: Anti-greed class 101. NO the company cannot have overseas plants providing Mexicans and Chinese with jobs. And NO the government shouldn't own it- at ALL. He sweated for the technology, and he should benefit. Because the rest of the world will too, except for those greedy oil tycoons.

[edit on Mon Jun 1st 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
The fact it is still ran off gasoline is a bit of a joke.
After all these years to think it still has to be ran off gas is the conspiracy.
Who killed the electric car and why??
Oh well as long as they are finally throwing the dog a bone I shouldn't complain.

Edit to add.
In 1900 there were 4200 cars sold in the US.
Of these 38% were powered electrically,22% by gasoline and 40% by steam.
By 1924 not a single electric vehicle was exhibited at the National Automobile Show.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
yep and he will be bought off, discredited or killed to keep the oil barons in power.

Do you think the oil kings will take this laying down! Wars with 1000's of American lives have been lost in the name of oil.

One vision does not have a chance.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I hope many of you re-visit this thread in two years and learn a lesson. No, the "big evil" oil companies will not have this man killed, and no one will "shut him up", lol. But nothing will come of this, something any car guy already knows.

And to say that modern engine controls have not done anything for gas mileage just shows that you know nothing about cars. Sure, it has not done the wonders it can, but it has done a lot for sure.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I'd like to see what this guy can do for a VW bug engine. I have a 70, and I'd LOVE to see the ridiculous gas mileage it could get! if it's 110 in a regular car, I am betting 120-140 in a bug.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
If this is indeed true, the the Big (small) three will try to buy the idea and just shelf it like they have with so many ideas and designs/engines already.
But can someone please explain this to me. With at least 2 major vehicle manufacturing companies failing, where are these Huge oil companies to bail them out? You would think they have a vested interest in these companies to suceed. Cause they didnt like Saturn when they started up. and they certainly wont like any vechicles being made that can have a 100+ MPG. Why is the Govts bailing these companies out when the oil companies are bringing in Billion$$ profits? Why are these companies not interested in buying vehicle manufacturing companies. Especially now where the stock prices are so low, they would be a steal to buy them and produce the same cars still. I think Govts should be looking at this and making sure that the Oil companies are left behind and stop secretly giving bonuses/ gifts to the CEO's and boardroom members of these car companies for not making fuel effecient vehicles.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This seems like a pile of hog-wash just like any other "It gets over 100 MPG". For him saying the thermal efficiency of modern engines is only 8% is entirely incorrect. Try in the 20 to almost 30 percent range. Second... the tolerances that he supposedly has tightened must be under a microscope when assembling the engine, as todays tolerances are about 2 to 4 thousandths of an inch between cylinder wall and pistons, and crankshaft to main bearings. The emissions equipment forced onto vehicles by our wonderful government actually hurt efficiency as well as the tuning of the engine computer. I own a 2001 chevy 3/4 ton with a duramax diesel engine. I consistently get over 20 MPG as I have custom tuned the engine computer for not only maximum efficiency, but maximum power. Gasoline engines are a bit different, there is a limit to how lean you can run the air fuel ratio without cylinder temperatures being too hot and melting things. I call BS on this guy's claims until there is an independent verification of what he says.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by imeddieone4202003
When we look at the automotive industry as a whole since its inception one can notice two things:

-Engines have gotten exponentially more complicated and advanced with the integration of computer components

-These advancements have NOT translated into any sizable contributions to the efficiency of MPG

With our technological advancements the MPGs should have skyrocketed along with decreased emissions. But NO, it seems the auto industry is moving at a snails pace when it comes to going farther with less fuel. I honestly hope this engine does produce the 100+ miles per gallon, ill keep my fingers crossed.

IMO opinion engines have become much more efficient. The only problem is that cars keep getting heavier due to health and safety regulations, which in turn makes the engine less efficient...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This is great but as soon as the majority of the people have them, the powers that control the oil will just raise prices accordingly.

Never ending, unless their is a true free power source that is discovered.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I'm curious to know if this new engine involves the use of the 'Pogue Carberator'. It was patented in like 1928 I do believe.

The carburator was designed to vaporize your fuel with the use of the engines cooling system thus only introducing a purely gaseous fuel to be combusted.

Honda and some other manufacturers use a simular idea by preheating the fuel as to evaporate quicker once inside the combustion chamber which gives them their exceptional mileage.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I couldnt of said it better myself. We need to be rewarding innovation and not incompetence. Our nation would be better off for it. It is this mindset that has set us back 30 years. We need to get that bailout money back and put it into people like this....

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
He gave part of the answer in one of the interviews. High compression.
Ethanol is harder to ignite that gas. You can do it with higher compression, but controlling when the spark hits and when it combusts under compression is the tricky part that he has a handle on.
Ethanol, like Methanol runs cooler than gas, so you can run it under more compression with less fuel and not have an over heat problem.

This is real, this is the time, and the oil assholes can't do anything about it.
They are getting our money to help them this time.

Honda has already done this right in front of everybody and they all just stand there and go, duuugggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Try the Indycar series. 100% Ethanol, and it get four times the mileage then did Methanol.

They have been running this for three years. Honda won't let the team even touch the engines. They get to check the oil and that is about it.
The Foyts are good friends of mine, so I have it first hand.

If ATS reporter wants an interview with them, I can make it happen. Why not find out what the top family in all of Motorsports thinks of this deal.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
double post, sorry, and why does it say I have a Flag? I did not get a u2u on that!

In fact everyone on this page has a flag now. What gives on the software glich?

Hey Mods!!!!!

[edit on 1-6-2009 by j2000]

[edit on 1-6-2009 by j2000]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The oil barrons are flagging this thread.

How is that for Conspiracy?!!

They will leave no place untouched!!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This is just awesome! I will be contacting this company. I want to buy an engine or a car. I want to supply technical assistance. I want to help them market. I want to provide counseling when the big oil money comes calling for the buyout.

Let's all show our support for this guy's cause, and anyone else who is making a difference with ingenuity in today's climate.

This is exactly what built America during the last two centuries, but lately we have been content to let other countries be the innovators, while our big corporations, unions, and politicians tell us it is impossible.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SKUNK2

IMO opinion engines have become much more efficient. The only problem is that cars keep getting heavier due to health and safety regulations, which in turn makes the engine less efficient...

Cars are lighter than ever! Some gigantor SUV's are on the market, but compare a Toyota Camry 4 door to an old LeSabre or Impala. Better yet compare a new Cadillac or Lincoln to an old Cadillac or Lincoln.

I was in the automotive industry for the past decade or so, and all the "improvements" served was to run the backyard mechanic out of business under the guise of emission control. Emissions have gotten a little better of the years, but not to the tune of the drastic engine and electronic overhauls.

I give the car makers big kudos for safety, cars are immensely safer. Everything else is a shameful waste of technology and money!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
There is so much conspiracy in the auto industry sometimes I'm surprised cars don't just dissolve by themselves after 5 years.

Everything we have on modern auto drivetrains is underperforming technology. This is true of the much more efficient european model cars and so much truer in the USA. So it's refreshing to hear of these cases.

The real trick is getting over the memetic manipulation. People are trained to think they are getting the best there is, and naturally get very angry when someone basically proves them they were ripped off. Between shame and denial most people chose denial. Get over yourselves.

You have the Tesla(s). You have the FCX clarity. You have the Aptera. You have the Scorpion. You have the (rather crappy tbh) Volt. You have the compressed air car. You have the electric smart. You have the Zapp city. You have the Tezzarini. You have the IMiev and soon it's Peugeot sister car. You have the electric mini. You have videos on youtube with Jack Nicholson showing off a hydrogen car 20 bloody years ago.

Get it through your thick skulls that there is indeed a better option than current internal combustion technology. And once you have finally retuned your missfiring brains, demand that technology from the mainstream.

GM going bankrupt? Good. I feel for the employees, who are victims of decade of psychopathic management, but it really does need to happen.

I drive a diesel. It's much better than my previous gasoline car. But, given the option to swap out the drivetrain, and really engines and transmissions should be upgradeable, I would gladly go greener if a few years.

You hear that industry? There's a market out there for green crate engines. Make it happen...

Between ethanol, water and electricity we could have global climate change (which is not even a real problem) peak oil (which might not even be a real problem) and energy monopoly (which sure as hell is a real problem) beat.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Is this the same as the MYT engine? I found the MYT engine technology to be rather intriguing.

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join