It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child abuse rates to increase: agency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Child abuse rates to increase: agency

news.smh.com.au

A national child protection agency warns that as the recession bites deeper, child abuse and domestic violence will increase.

Australian Childhood Foundation chief Dr Joe Tucci says the current estimate of a 10 per cent rise over the next year was "conservative".

It could go higher, as the foundation has been reporting a 15 to 20 per cent increase in referrals to its counseling service.

"The last three months we've seen a real spike in the number of referrals to us, April and May in particular," Dr Tucci told AAP on Sunday.

"In the last couple of months, we've really seen a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This is an Australian story but I think it will resonate in most
Western countries as the economy continues to plunge.

When people seek escape thru alcohol and drugs for their seemingly hopeless economic situation, the stress is likely to
manifest itself in violence. Sadly it will be the family members that suffers most.

Another sad prospect is that agency's that help in domestic abuse cases will be underfunded or cut entirely and the situation will just get worse until their is some sort of economic upturn with jobs.

news.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-5-2009 by whaaa]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

When people seek escape thru alcohol and drugs for their seemingly hopeless economic situation, the stress is likely to
manifest itself in violence. Sadly it will be the family members that suffers most.

Stress can bring out the worst in people, even without alcohol or drugs. Add a dose of flu, and physical illness on top of financial/social/psychological stress and it looks like a recipe for real disaster.

Another sad prospect is that agency's that help in domestic abuse cases will be underfunded or cut entirely...

True. Very sad prospect... But if the violence spills out into the street and across the tracks - you can bet the $ will be there to deal with the 'abuser.'

S&F. Important topic, good comments.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Although I agree that a recession or any stressfull environment can result in bad choices.

I'm left to wonder how many of there referrals must be acted upon? Or how many are over-reactions by the general populace or parents themselves.

In fighting between parents can often lead to these types of situations where one reports the other.

I am sure they aren't only counting the claims that were valid.

~Keeper

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I don't care if you're crawling on the floor eating left overs from a garbage can at KFC, that gives you no excuse to abuse your children or family. Only people with primitive thinking would resort to that kind of action...If they need to release stress, they can go bang their head into a sidewalk until their skulls crack, but there's just no reason to harm innocent people because you're not having a good time.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I just posted a story about an agency overreacting, no - overreaching, and you should see the replies that absolutely HATE child protective services!

"Mom 'too stupid' to raise child"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am all for reasoned and timely intervention in situations endangering children. I am at the same time mindful of the potential for abuse BY the system, as well as in spite of it.

It is a difficult situation in EVERY case, warranting great expenditures of time, money, resources and judicial oversight/

Many states recognize this and act, many can or do not.

It can be fantstically rewarding and outrageously frustrating.

But, it is NECESSARY to civil society.

jw

S and F.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Unfortunately, in the U.S. we are already seeing the effects of the recession/depression--not just in number of abuse cases--but in spouse/children murder/suicide cases

MSM sensationalizes these cases on an almost weekly basis, but it makes one wonder about those that are unreported...because TPTB would likely want to tone down the effects of the economic downturn.

Unless "they" are hoping for a domino effect to avoid paying out unemployment claims, welfare, etc.

-

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
www.childhelp.org...

A report of child abuse in America is one every 10 seconds.

The above statistics are chilling.

new topics

top topics

join