It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last Titanic survivor dies at 97

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Last Titanic survivor dies at 97

news.bbc.co.uk

The last survivor of the sinking of the Titanic has died aged 97.

Millvina Dean was nine weeks old when the liner sank after hitting an iceberg in the early hours of 15 April 1912, on its maiden voyage from Southampton.

The disaster resulted in the deaths of 1,517 people in the north Atlantic, largely due to a lack of lifeboats.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The end of an era, at least this old woman had a good run unlike some of the souls who were aboard that ship. What is annoying is that towards the end of her life when she should have been relaxing she was being forced to sell her mementoes to fund the £3000 a month bill's from here nursing home, something that in my mind should have been covered by the state

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Agreed...
She shouldn’t have had to cover those costs...

Eeek, I hate to admit I’ve scenes of her walking through the door of the Ship to meet her friends like in the movie.

Then again who’s to say that isn’t exactly what she’s doin...

End of an era for sure.

Wow, seems strange that...

Well, I hope she rests in peace...

[edit on 31-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Some of the other people involved in the movie production took over paying her expenses recently. THere was an interesting story about it on Yahoo last week.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Do you think that all nursing home care should be paid for by the state or just for Titanic survivors? lol.

I haven't heard too many interviews with survivors and that's something that would be pretty interesting, maybe I'll look on google video.

She was only 9 weeks old, so I don't consider it an "end of an era", she obviously didn't even remember any of it.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
Do you think that all nursing home care should be paid for by the state or just for Titanic survivors? lol.

As the British taxpayer generally contributes to the NHS then yes all nursing home care should be payed for by the state in fact these are the core principles

"The NHS was born out of a long-held ideal that good healthcare should be available to all, regardless of wealth. At its launch by the then minister of health, Aneurin Bevan, on July 5 1948, it had at its heart three core principles: * That it meet the needs of everyone * That it be free at the point of delivery * That it be based on clinical need, not ability to pay

WIKI

new topics

top topics

join