It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monetising ATS for members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I think this may be appropriate timing to discuss $$$, as the points system seems to be rocking a few boats.

What if it's possible to redeem your points for money?

Perhaps set up some kind of account, where you can cash in your points and equate them as 100points = $1.

You'd probably ask why ATS would dish out money? Well they get solid contributions by intelligent members of the public and some kind of payback mechanism would encourage these contributions.

This could work both ways as well. If i wanted quick and detailed info from a member, i could create a thread asking for info about the "atmospheric composition of Saturns moon Titan" for example, and say i am willing to pay 2000points which i'd have by putting $20 into my account.

Just a thought, but creating a forum where members are paid would set ATS apart from any other forum and i suspect you'd see a ten-fold increase in traffic as people would do substantial & qualitative research and go out their way to help others, knowing they will get paid for their efforts.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I would respond but ...show me the points first

Then I will be more than happy to respond

~holds hand out...impatiently of course~

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

I will pay you 10 points for your response, as i see you are part of the furniture in ATS

Perhaps set up a dedicated area for monetisation, for respected researchers to divulge their works.

It's fluffy thinking i know, but money makes the World go round, or atleast it used to

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

What if it's possible to redeem your points for money?

I remember when they started that ATS Press Corps that it was stated that the authors of posts there would get a cut of ad revenue.

I don't think handing out money for points would be a good thing. We get them for essentially doing nothing. If I happen to find a good article and post it in the Breaking Alternative News Section, I can rack up a ton of points--in fact, once I got 3000 points for an article! ATS would then pay me for someone else's work that people could've just found for free.

What caused the big stink with the point system/labeling system anyway? I thought both were fine. Each gave people something to strive for. In the end, this will get straightened out I'm sure.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
There is no need to turn ATS into some capitalist system of points and rewards.

It doesn't make sense that people who "willingly" contribute good information and informative discussions get paid, while others who simply read and reply get nothing.

In order to pay for such things, ATS would need to have a pay membership, which would actually decrease traffic, and remove any lurkers the ability to post anonamously.

It looks good on paper, but we must realize that people would try to take advantage of system to get more money. Think Gold Farming.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
any scheme that stipulates ` do X , recieve Y ` is open to systematic abuse

just cast your mind back to the ` points for tags ` scheme that was introduced when ATS thread tags were launched

it seemed like a good idea - to encourage people to go back and tag old threads

heck i even did it - to get RATS membership points

but i can honestly say that i read each thread i tagged - and thought about the tags it needed

of course other people just tagged for points - using the tread title as a tag - was the silliest abuse

heck - there was even aggegations that people were using scripts to auto generate tags

now back to the `cash for points `issue - yes it will reward people who make ATS the best conspicacy website in the world - but it will also encourage every idiot and his sock puppet to create threads JUST to get replies and create points - that are turned into cash

EPIC FAIL

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Regardless of the fact that this will never happen, I don't think it is a good idea.

Posting quality material on ATS is something people do for a meaningful purpose. People post quality material that they have learned in the hope that it will educate others, and in the hope that the ensuing discussion may spark new ideas and reveal newer and even better information.

This is done out of the thirst for knowledge and enjoyment of discussion and debate. But when you throw money in to the mix, the thirst and enjoyment is forgotten and the quality of the information is sacrificed.

I suppose on paper this could be a good system, but these things never work out the way they are intended to. You are never going to have complete benevolence on the part of those participating. Some people would begin mass posting watered down material containing only basic research and possibly erroneous information for the sole purpose of being rewarded with points and money.

I'd rather ATS use their ad revenue on constantly adding new features and improvements to the site and also paying the people who participate in ATS-operated activities such as the ATS Press Corps than paying people to make positive contributions to a site they are a part of.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
In order to pay for such things, ATS would need to have a pay membership, which would actually decrease traffic, and remove any lurkers the ability to post anonamously.

I left Project Avalon when they went "Pay to Post" membership at 5.00 a month...

I just did not see the 'wisdom' in me PAYING a membership to give them content that they could sell...

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom We get them for essentially doing nothing.

Not all of us do nothing

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I am just posting so I can hang out in Zorgon's shadow for a minute.

I dont care for this moneytising idea.......I could get on board if it was about Tshirts, mugs and hats

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I am just posting so I can hang out in Zorgon's shadow for a minute.

I dont care for this moneytising idea.......I could get on board if it was about Tshirts, mugs and hats

Ahah!
My ears perked up on that one. Swag!
It should be t-shirts, mugs etc. that can NOT be purchased or aquired in any other way shape or form. (even from the ATS store)This would give it maximum geek value.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
no, this should be in the other thread, where you add your ideas.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Who'd put up the capital to fund this project?
The $$$ has to come from somewhere.

Sorry, but ATS is a hobby for us, not a job.
(except the management, of course)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
cant think of anything worse!! You would get even more pointless threads where the OP is obviously just trying to get as many flags and stars and responses as possible, rather than geuinely posting an informative or speculative topic

Just my 2 cents
( or 2 points, whichever!)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm sorry but the day money and members mix on ATS is the day I'll wave goodbye. There's a good reason why we have sayings like "Money is the root of all evil"... I would never expect a cent from ATS. Heck some folks are under the illusion that staff members get paid.

I'm here for the love of it. Not for rewards.

(I suppose if we're talking rewards the reward is the wisdom and insight from my fellow members...)

Some things money can't buy. (For the rest there's Master Card...
)

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I was told they'd be punch and pie ...

It was lies!

There is however all the learning, friendships, fun, and junk.

And the merriment ... oh the merriment!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

We can't even come to a consensus on points, stars and flags - if we start trying to divvy up money we'll likely kill each other.

But I will pay someone to give me my "mood" back on my mini-profile.

[edit on 2/6/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
At the potential exponential rate that the dollar will be devalued, in a year or two ATS points could be more valuable.

I suggest you hang on to those points.

[edit on 2-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
So, you think that ATS points are worth about as much as the Japanese Yen?
Getting money for my time is a wonderful idea, but I am here for just fun. I do not need an incentive of points or money to enjoy ATS.

new topics

top topics

join