It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 dead in battle between Hamas, Palestinian police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

6 dead in battle between Hamas, Palestinian police

news.yahoo.com

Palestinian forces stormed a Hamas hideout in the northern West Bank, setting off a fierce battle that left six dead Sunday in the bloodiest factional violence since the Palestinian president launched a crackdown on the Islamic militant group two years ago.

Hamas militants lobbed grenades and fired automatic weapons to push back the raid, drawing dozens of government forces to the scene. After the battle, hundreds of spent bullet casings, puddles of blood and tear gas canisters were visible at the hideout, a two-story building in Qalqiliya, a West Bank town known for its strong Hamas presen
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-5-2009 by jam321]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I believe this article highlights some interesting points.

1) The US under Obama is still intent on backing Abbas and helping him to get rid of Hamas. I guess Obama and Abbas both realize that their will be no peace unless Hamas is eliminated.

2)Fatah and Hamas are still divided despite the recent Gaza war and this division could soon spark another bloody battle between the two sides as they fight for total power. Means the innocent Palestinian people will continue to suffer.

Does Hamas really have to be eliminated in order for their to be peace?

Abbas, Obama, Israel, Egypt, and Jordan seem to think so.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edited for source

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Jam,

Sadly, yes, Hamas must be completely removed before peace can exist.

Remember, those terrorists say Israel and it's people have no right to live much-less have a country.

They constantly attack Israel and cry like children when they get "COUNTER" attacked.

Equally sadly, the civilians on both sides are the ones who suffer.

remove the terrorists and both sides civilians will prosper.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Jam,

So you tryna say palestinians lived in peace before hamas came into power?

Millitary incursions and air-strikes took place before hamas's existance and still does under its existance.The only difference is palestinians are fed up of throwing rocks at tanks and have chosen an alternative.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by merkava

Good point. No they didn't live in peace before Hamas. But you must ask yourself if Arafat ever wanted peace or was he only seeking sympathy for the Palestinian plight.

IMO, Abbas has tried to bring peace, has not antagonized Israel like Hamas and Arafat. I believe Abbas wants to do what is necessary to bring about a two state solution. Something Hamas isn't all too happy about.

MBF

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I think that Fatah has seen the hand writing on the wall and decided that they are going to have to play nice in order to have peace. It's a lot cheaper in the long run. Hamas is nothing but a bunch of moronic nuts that want to stir trouble.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
From debkafiles... even if most of the time they post BS... may be linked... maybe a coincidence.

Hamas West Bank cells ordered to launch terror war on Abbas forces, Israel

We'll see what happens.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Interesting link Vitch. I got a feeling Hamas is going to go after Abbas and company.

And with Obama coming to the region soon, it could be a perfect time.

Would be kinda hard for Obama to get his message across to Muslims while all hell is breaking loose between Fatah and Hamas.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

This is the US raised national army in action.

You can argue that this force is doing a good thing by killing Hamas members, but you're going to alienate the Palestinian people real quick when US funded and trained forces are making raids in their hometowns.

Abbas' government will be seen as US and Israeli pawns and the stage will be set for a power struggle in the west bank.

What a classic divide and conquer tactic. Middle east politics = one big chessboard.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Hamas is nothing but a front for Iran and take there orders from Tehran.

Just like Hezbollah is a front for the Syrians and take there orders from Damascus.

Nether group really represents the Palestinians

Both countries are just using the Palestinians to fight there own war by proxy

[edit on 1-6-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by milesp

You can argue that this force is doing a good thing by killing Hamas members, but you're going to alienate the Palestinian people real quick when US funded and trained forces are making raids in their hometowns.

I can't really say it is a good thing. Many Palestinians support Hamas. And the point you make about alienation could be a real road block to any peace.

I am curious as to why Arab nations aren't training the Palestinian forces.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by merkava

Jam,

Millitary incursions and air-strikes took place before hamas's existance and still does under its existance.The only difference is palestinians are fed up of throwing rocks at tanks and have chosen an alternative.

No, however......

I think they are sick and tired of being killed because the Hamas terrorists are constantly attacking a country.

I think they are sick of not having most things, because Hamas uses almost everything as weapons/bombs.

I think you see where this is going...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

remove the terrorists and both sides civilians will prosper.

I am by no means pro-hamas
but that statement makes no sense

were palestinians prospering before Hamas lol?

Hamas = Bin Laden

Use him as an excuse for constant attacks but never ever ever find him and capture him..... ever

Did you see the pictures from the poundage of Gaza?
Hamas was NOT the target, civilians were, hospitals etc....

[edit on 1-6-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

The President said that the role that security personnel play, including “being active day and night in order to bring order and security and pursue adherence with the law,” will continue. He stressed that they will continue the national campaign to “deal harshly with anyone who threatens the security of the homeland and Palestinian citizens.”

He called on the Palestinian people of all factions to unite and rally behind a single leadership and acknowledge them as the “legitimate national leadership.”

english.pnn.ps...

It is all about the power. Neither Abbas or Hamas care about the Palestinian people. As the world tries time and time again to bring peace to this region, all three sides are intent on continuing as is.

new topics

top topics

join