It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where's the points

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I'm kind of conflicted on this one.

A.) I enjoyed the "Bronze" status, but purely for aesthetic reasons.

Oddly enough, I just like that particular metal, so it was a nice synthesis for me. I actually got a little nervous thinking about "bumping up" to silver or gold over the next few years.

Pretty metals, all nice and shiny - but it's more what you do with those metals than just the virtue of owning them that matters to me.

...and I can see how people might overlook the quality of the post and be completely distracted by the member "rating". That's just human nature, I guess. Caught myself a few times taking note, and quickly refocused to the import of the subject/postings so as not to allow myself to become affected by associations.

Tricky situation.

Recognition is nice - but how to make sure newcomers and infrequent posters with exceptional ideas don't get overlooked just because they don't have the "status awards"?

Man. I'm stumped.

Maybe a silent vote system where we can rate the quality of individual posts and then on the main profile page, have the "medals" in respect to the members depth of knowledge and insight on various topics there?

The medals could be just for moderator applause and an additional ratings system in the board topics based on member votes?

(sorry - I'm brainstorming again...didn't mean to ramble.)

[edit on 5/31/09 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
If there is a need for a vote or a poll Admin will take care of it.

In the meantime just relax.

Sheesh! 26 pages of complaining and whining when this was introduced (not to mention the issues thread) and how many now that it may be gone? :shk:

Oh and it seems I'm some kind of clairvoyant:

Posted two weeks ago:

I'm making a prediction here.

Admin will end up taking this away from us because we're not mature enough to handle it.

You must all bow down to me now.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Couldn't have put it better myself, Intrepid.

We just need to let the official business take place and wait until then.

As long as the site is still here and we can still debate things and discuss things and rant and rave it's all good.

Whatever happens, happens with regards to points, ratings, whatever.

Doesn't make much of a difference to me really. I know that what is decided will have the interests of ATS at the core, and that's that.

Let the amigos do their job.

Peace,

MGGG

Edit to add - Gools, I don't want to bow down to you coz I can't assess whether you're worthy because I can't tell your 'rating.'

Oh yeah - better point out - that was a joke :-)

MGGG

[edit on 31-5-2009 by machinegun_go_go]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Or we could just chill until we get an official announcement. SkepticOverlord is always tweaking things. Maybe this is temp. maybe not. That's of course assuming that I missed an official announcement.

This was posted in the "Issues" thread...

SkepticOverlord....

The status displays have been removed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

(It's down the page a bit. Don't know how to do that thing that takes you straight to the exact quote)

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin

the only tag I need is ATS/BTS/MATS member.
as for the points LOL poo

[edit on 31-5-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

I star and flag if a thread is good but if it isnt I whont. Hey get rid of it all why not.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by Mr Green]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527
I valued being able to know who is a seasoned poster and who may just be a first post spammer.

I'm using this quote merely as a demonstration of irony and am not aiming it at deadline527 exclusively. Though (s)he is apparently gone in protest, so what does it matter. Apparently (s)he thinks (s)he'll be missed, and so I wish him/her well.

At ATS I believed people took pride and pleasure in making their own judgment of value. In not being told what is good or bad. In making up their own minds. Those arguing for the title system seem to be doing little more than saying, "I can't figure this on my own. Will you please tell me who is a valuable member and who isn't?"

Seriously disappointing.

Whether the system is in place or not is irrelevant to me. What is relevant is that some people here apparently don't want to bother to think for themselves, take the time and effort to read more than two lines of blurb to determine a contributor's value and make up their own mind about what exactly determines quality of contribution for them.

But then I didn't really need to look further than the political threads to know that. So I'm pretty dense myself, I guess.

[edit on 31/5/09 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Seems we have the same discussion taking place in two threads.

Please add your thoughts to The ATS Issues Thread.

Thanks

Thread Closed.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join