It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is revenge bad?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

You don't know the half of it. In the past couple of generations, we have raised the biggest bunch of fairies to ever exist.

We're all sensitive now. We're understanding. And forgiving. Tolerant. Inclusive.

As a nation.

Not me.

It took several months and a few thousand dollars, but I just ****ed up the life of my SOB ex-son-in-law.

His dream job? Down the toilet. Forever.

After the mean, cruel things he's done, let's just say I feel a whole lot better.

I never go looking for trouble, I never do anyone wrong.

But I'll be damned if I'll just bend over and take a rooting.

I'll set things right - and unfortunately - to remain within the confines of the law just makes it longer to accomplish, and a bit more difficult.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

dammmmm thats taken it up a notch lol guess he messed with the wrong fam lol if he knows its you would he not want revenge?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Insubordinate Soul

He knows me, having been in the family, knows my history, my background, and states very clearly to my daughter that he's afraid of me. I seriously doubt he says that in public, as he's in Special Ops, but not anything like my background.

He's not completely stupid.

Unfortunately for me.

His every move was anticipated, and that too scares him a bit.

You are entirely right about one thing. He started **** with the wrong family.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
No wonder you Americans won't fight, because you won't even stand up for yourselves on a personal level.

Ive never heard a bunch of more weak as piss fruits in my life.

"Oh no - revenge is bad."

"Its just makes you like them."

"The police and law should do it, because we are weak as piss and won't do anything even if our balls are twisted off."

You have been turned into a nation of weak as piss panzies - I can't believe what I'm hearing on this thread. Then you say your going to go fight for your country and freedom? With what - maybe some harshly worded letters? All they have to say is "Your breaking the law!" And you will drop your guns and your pants and let them do what they like to you.

What the hell does it take to make you losers mad?

Harden the fk up you soft little baby ass panzies - try turning the other cheek you milksops - because you'll just get it harder on the other side of your face, then a boot up your ass for being stupid.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Amagnon]

THANKS! Needed that slap in the face. I had almost talked myself into believing revenge was bad. J/K. I do like the harsh smack back to reality though. I wish more people in on the edges of America would read this and understand. I am originally from the Midwest, now I'm on the GA/FL line. The real pansiness seems to spread from California and the NE and bleed into everywhere else. How do we stop them from poisoning our values?!?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

No wonder you Americans won't fight, because you won't even stand up for yourselves on a personal level.

[...]

Harden the fk up you soft little baby ass panzies - try turning the other cheek you milksops - because you'll just get it harder on the other side of your face, then a boot up your ass for being stupid.

Fighting back against something is not the same as revenge. Stopping tyranny is not revenge, retribution is revenge. It would be like the USA population has overtrown the government but after the dust has settled they kill off the family of the ones overtrown. That is revenge, taking up arms and fighting back in whatever way is just coming up for your own liberties.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harman

[...]

Fighting back against something is not the same as revenge. Stopping tyranny is not revenge, retribution is revenge. It would be like the USA population has overtrown the government but after the dust has settled they kill off the family of the ones overtrown. That is revenge, taking up arms and fighting back in whatever way is just coming up for your own liberties.

No - revenge is standing your ground and saying

"I will NOT let others take away my right to see justice done. I will NOT be silenced, I will NOT let injustice rule me. I KNOW what justice looks like, and I am PERSONALLY responsible to see it done. If I see wrong, or I am wronged I WILL see it set right - not by others who couldn't care less - but through myself, my friends and my family - I will see justice done"

Revenge is simply taking back the act of justice from those who have no business usurping it from your hands in the first place.

You have been told - its not about punishing bad people - its about protecting society. Is that justice? No - thats not justice - thats just BS.

Get up and defend yourselves - when you are pushed, push back - insist that you are treated fairly - insist that you have safety and freedom - and insist with your gun in your hands.

Without revenge, the world is ruled by the wolves - and the sheep just bleat and bleat and never DO anything.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by Dark Ghost

We've had a case here in Holland a couple of years ago were a small girl was taken, raped, killed and left for garbage.....
The father of this little girl went to the prison the man was being held at and asked for a one-on-one with the murderer of his daughter.
He sat in the room with this man and the only thing he said was:" i forgive you..."

How powerfull of a statement is that!!!

This man, being in jail for some time, has to go to bed every night knowing he did what he did and yet somebody cares enough to forgive him, no less the father of his victim......

Now that's what i call revence.......

Peace

Peace

This person has a staggeringly high threshold for forgiveness. That really is unbelievable that he could respond in such a manner. Although, I would not call this revenge. I don't think the father did this to make the criminal feel bad. He did it because he knows a higher power would admire his response as opposed to slitting the guy's throat. (Maybe peaceful revenge
)

[edit on 4/6/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

is it bad when I really wish sprite/ball lightning incinerates all my neighbors? Can anyone here with psi abilities grant it?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by reject
is it bad when I really wish sprite/ball lightning incinerates all my neighbors? Can anyone here with psi abilities grant it?

Instant revenge .. yes I'm sure that's something that many of us have wished for. However, I have to say that I have thanked God a few times that I didn't have such power. I know my Irish temper. I'd surely abuse it.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Fantastic post, kosmic.

In a word: revenge is a soulkiller.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I suppose one of the reasons the act of revenge is seen as something 'bad' or 'negative' is because, in the minds of many people, it proves a person to be no better than the initial perpetrator.

You're no better then they are.

This would imply then, that it is how the act of revenge, specifically or generally, is perceived by an individual person.

Personally, I'm a strong believer in karma. So my hope is, that if a wrong is done to me, no matter how small or major, I would be 'big' enough to forgive and forget, because i know that that experience of wrong-doing will come back to them.

You get out what you put in.

I don't believe that 'an eye for an eye' in most, if not all, instances is the best course of action that one could take. This includes the death penalty.

I know I've mentioned it many times already here on this site, but I feel something wholehearted in this quote from Martin Luther King Jr - this is an idea that would ultimately be in all our best interests:

Somehow we must be able to stand up before our most bitter opponents and say:

"We shall match your capacity to inflict suffering by our capacity to endure suffering. We will meet your physical force with soulforce. Do to us what you will and we will still love you... But be assured that we'll wear you down by our capacity to suffer, and one day we will win our freedom. We will not only win freedom for ourselves; we will so appeal to your heart and conscience that we will win you in the process, and our victory will be a double victory."

[edit on 5/6/09 by pretty_vacant]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Revenge is bad because most evil acts in some way or another are a product of it.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I think that "revenge is bad" because the reason why people want revenge in the first place, is to justify what happened to them, to "make it all alright," but the truth is, if you take revenge, it means you still haven't gotten over what's happened to you, it's proof that it's still damaging you on the inside- the same way that you wish to damage the person.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
*shameless bump* Discussion is going on about revenge vs justice in regards to the trial of the 9/11 co-conspirators. This thread is now being dusted off in case people want to discuss this again ...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
revenge is the only right reaction to objective negative state forced from else

u dont admit that fact bc u dont care about true existence when u care for taking advantage of existence as objective positive fact

u cant b right but free constant u cant b free constant but out of being true reality u cant b true reality but objective positive constant

it doesnt matter what or who forced the right to fall down, it is a matter of fact, as long as the right is aware the only way to get up is to get back his right to existence, the same right out of same existence then to stay in truth when only truth exist

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Philosophical question (for the philosophy forum) .... Why is revenge bad?

You hear it all the time ..... 'that's not justice, that's just revenge' .... and the bible - 'revenge is Mine sayith the Lord' .... etc etc. But why is revenge a bad thing? Isn't it a natural thing?

I understand that revenge can get out of control.
That families can get into feuds and have revenge killings for years.
I understand that could happen.

But what I'm asking is this .... WITHIN THE LAW ... why is revenge always put forth as bad and to be avoided?

Example - if someone killed your child and you say that you want to be the one to flip the switch on the electric chair after the killer is convicted ... why is that bad?
[color=cyan] you have just KILLED and may be judged for it in a period you may not know exist. SOMTHING TO CONSIDER--DO YOU THINK WHEN PEOPLE ARE MURDERED THEY ARE GIVEN A CHANCE TO ATTACK THE MURDER FROM ANOTHER LOCATION/DIMENSION ALSO DO YOU THINK MOST GIVEN THE CHANCE WHY RECOGNIZING THEIR LOCATIONS DO SO OR LEAVE IT UP TO GOD TO HANDLE???
Example - Germany invades Poland in WWII and wipes out large numbers of people. At the end of the war the Polish survivors want to witness the executions of those who mass murdered their fellow countrymen. Why is that bad?
[color=cyan]low vibrating activities only lower those vibrations of those participating who may be scheduled for higher phases of existence ITS LIKE IF LUCIFER FOUND NATAS KINGDOM HIDDEN IN DARK AND ATTACKED IT AND ALL CREATIONS WITHIN NATAS KINGDOM BECAUSE NATAS ATTACKED LUCIFERS KINGDOMS AND ALL CREATIONS WITHIN DOES THAT NOT MAKE THE SAME ENERGIES/ACTIVITIES JUST DISTRIBUTED FROM ANOTHER ANGEL. SO IT WOULD BE WISE TO LEARN FROM THE ANGEL OF FALSE AND NOT DO AS IT DOES.. JUST SAYEN.
Example - Timothy McVeigh set off a bomb that killed dozens of preschool children. The parents of the dead children want him dead and push to view the execution. Why is that bad?
[color=cyan]Timothey will be judged by laws he has no site of that will govern his souls directions
Doesn't revenge give anger a place to constructively go and give closure to victims?
[color=cyan] to 1 it does not it only allows evol to be spread twice or more.
Or does it make things worse for the soul and that's why God says - 'revenge is Mine' and 'forgiveness is divine', etc etc ...
[color=cyan] MAKES SENSE AS GOD CAN *SEE *READ BRAINWAVE ACTIVITY AND KNOWS YOUR *INNERTHOUGHTS WHICH INTURN MAKES THE THE BEST JUDGMENT CALL.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
anyways u never mean anything u say, u just say to pretend getting smthg or anything from what u know exist

if someone harm u, revenge is not by harming it, on the contrary u r becoming him so making him more alive while confirming ur possession or destruction

anything is of its constancy

re venge, is the constancy of forcing objective superiority of right over what meant to deal with rights as being nothing, by forcing them to b the nothing they meant about rights

only rights are superior bc superiority is to objectivity

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Sorry for the thread necro, but this subject is on my mind. I DON'T believe revenge, properly carried out, against the correct target, and PROPORTIONAL TO THE CRIME COMMITTED is a bad thing. When attacked, you must defend. If you don't, you will be attacked even more, and not just by the original "bad guy", but by any who witnessed(so to speak) this attack against you, and saw you DO NOTHING ABOUT IT. I know from personal experience what will happen to you once people get it into their heads that you're a weakling, and its all bad. People are like sharks.

Don't be a bleeding fish when surrounded by sharks. It ends badly for the fish every time..
edit on 18-3-2013 by LightsideAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
If the system was already ideal, then revenge would never be justified, although the system is far from being ideal.

I understand if the parents of the children whom Breivik murdered wanted death penalty. Any person would say that for killing over 80 children anyone should deserve death penalty and that shows that the system is not ideal.

Overally revenge is not a productive action. Let us take a situation where you were humiliated by person X in front of a large group of people. Would you say that getting back at X would do anything else than satisfying your ego?. 99% of situation where people would want to get back are simply not worth the effort. You can not turn back time, you can not change the laws, so the best solution would be learning from the situation and simply letting go.

It is important to understand that often the people performing actions which can be considered worthful of revenge might actually suffer the most. Extreme actions require extreme suffering.Most of us have some kind of trigger, often something we are not even aware of, although when this trigger is pushed, when things are taken too far, we might break and this can lead to extreme actions.

I believe one of the reasons why Breivik did such a was simply due to no one being able to listen to him. He tried to spread his word, but no one would even listen to him or be able to respond intellectually.

If we took a horror movie situation where some redneck family is killing everybody in the forest, would you say that it is the kids fault that they were taught that this is the right thing to do?

Often serial killers have had extreme abuse during their childhood, which has made them who they are.

Life is not black and white. Human nature is extremely complicated and often it is not directly the fault of the person who performed the action,but the reasons that influenced him in the past and at some point the trigger simply got loose.

Letting go and forgiving are extremely hard to do, although being able to do them shows the true power.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join