It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enlightenment - A point to be reached? ...or a way of life?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
My intuition tells me that 'enlightenment' is not a state that can be reached, but rather an endless way of life. We're here to learn, and though there may be many levels of learning, there will never be a line to cross in which I can then say "I'm enlightened".

I was curious to see what others feel about this? I think it's an important distinction to be made because to do so would mean eliminating a certain degree of ego from the mindset. In my opinion the ego is something we must strive to move away from, especially when trying to live a life of 'enlightenment'. Not doing so would mean there would be a direct conflict at some point in one's life between the ego and one's projected goal.

I suppose you could say while here in this existence (on Earth), there may be a peak that can be reached; but the universe is infinite, and I believe when one is finally ready to move on from one plane of existence to the next -- the process of enlightenment continues on.

To be enlightened, one must accept that there is no such noun as enlightenment -- just the verb. I suppose a similar argument was made by Thomas Jefferson when writing the Declaration of Independence, in regards to the "pursuit of happiness".

Perhaps happiness can also be experienced on infinite levels, forever expanding, therefore -- only a pursuit is possible. It must also be true on the opposite end of the spectrum, as to experience bliss you must first experience pain.

Thoughts?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
great post Navieko i have to agree with you as well, there is no reaching enlightenment in this "life" or on this "world" how every you chose to look at it.
i think people take too it as more of a challenge to see who can do it first. as you were stating with the involvement of the ego in the enlightening process.

but if you really think about it shouldn't there be and end to it?? or is it a never ending process??

in my own opinion i don't think it ever ends. after this life we go to another existence and continue working to better our souls.

infinity is a great way of looking at it, or those geometry pictures with the never ending designs
sorry the name eludes me.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by neonine

Thanks neonine. I think you're talking about fractals, which I agree is a good conceptual example of the universe in illustration!

[edit on 31/5/09 by Navieko]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Hi, I love your question and i think this is what we are all looking for. Enlightenment, what does it look like? Would we know it if we found it? Does it exist?
I think it is a real shame that we are told that we must wait till we die to get to heaven-rest in peace.
I believe heaven and hell are both here on earth and we have the choice in which we live. I have lived in both. I truely believe that I have experienced a rebirth (twice).
The first time, I was completely blown away, yet I didn`t know what had happened to me. I felt I wanted to wrap it up and give it to everyone, It was divine. I then lost it and had no idea how I lost it and no idea how to get it back. I felt a lot of grief after losing the contact.
It`s taken a long time but I feel I am home again and this time I know the formula. I found it a few weeks back and heaven is here again.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
thanks Navieko its been driving me absolutely crazy for the past 20mins

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Hi Itisnowagain,

An important thing to remember is that in order to learn, to gain enlightenment, it is necessary to experience both the high's and lows -- as well as the in between. The only way to reach new heights of happiness is to experience new depths of pain. We're here to learn, therefore we have to come to the realization that no matter what "state" we might reach in this world, both physical and spiritual, we can never expect to remain in that state.

Both heaven and hell are right here on Earth, and both are essential.

Pain must be accepted as a necessary obstacle in our paths to enlightenment and it should be expected. To do so would make the transitions from a state of bliss (heaven) to state of pain (hell) a lot easier to handle, and perhaps the pain better short-lived.

All the best!

[edit on 31/5/09 by Navieko]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

there are two very very big hurtles that we must cross on the path of enlightenment. one is the conflict between the many religions we have on this planet. I'm not trying to say religion is a bad thing, but i find it ends up bringing more bickering to process then its helps which is sad.

the second hurtle that needs to be crossed is the " my way is the right way".
i could never get why people don't understand that whats good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. you can guide but your cant pull someone around with a leash. it totally defeats the purpose.

haha sorry you feel me start to go off on a tangent just give me a good smack ant ill stop, and your going to have to forgive the mind goo up there. i just start typing, it never comes out in order.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Your thoughts are not u. Thoughts are not your friend. Thought can torture you, and does. It is not the world that makes us unhappy. Thoughts about the world make us unhappy. If you sat in comfortable surroudings on your own, thought is there chatting away disturbing you.
Remove thought. Thought makes problems.
When we can realise that we are not thought, that that, is not who we really are, life becomes very much easier.
We are so identified with the me that we think that is who we are. Me, (ego, thinking,) has to make otherness to exist. Otherness makes duality which in turn gives rise to conflict. You/me, them/us, right/wrong, good/bad.
The worst thought and most common is "I am not enough, I need to be more". This could be said by saying "I want to be enlightened". This type of thinking makes for great unhappiness. The ego, who always wants more is never satisfied, never.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
posted on 5/31/09 at 05:52

Enlightment to me is being satisfied with your senses. For these senses to be satisfied one has to learn that sometimes you make mistakes and sometimes you do not. I think the best things in life are just chillen in the backyard and talking about music and entertainment. Right now I feel that I have reached enlightment, and maybe I am one of the lucky few. A word I have heard thrown around in philosophy is horizon. My horizon's or capabilties right now are unknowable and are subject to change, and thus my current feeling of enlightment will defintley change for better or worse. My bold stance is that enlightment is knowing that things will change and that I must be strong enough to accept what happens in my world. It is possible that the point of life to be reached is understanding that life is complex, like Socrates said, "True wisdom is knowing that you know nothing at all." Good philsoophy quote eh?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
If only we could see that the only time, is now. Right now. Not tommorrow, yesterday, in a minute. All of that is illusion, made using thought. We are complete now, we have nothing to gain by thinking " I must be....". This is thinking causing problems that do not exist.
Living the enlightened life is saying " I am and it is."
To say anything else is pure madness. Stories. Stay here in the present moment.
The best present you can give is presence. This is the gift of life itself. Sharing the moment.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

I completely agree. Declaring one's self "enlightened" has always smacked of hubris to me and thusly not very "enlightened" after all.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I was surpised to find that the number zero was omitted during Roman times. Yet it`s not really a shock as we think of it as nothing, why include nothing? Infact, i can understand how it was missed, completely over looked-not visable. Formless.
We have over looked the formlessness, nothingness.
Before the big bang, they say there was only a pea sized lump of matter(form), it exploded into no-form. The no-form + the form is what we experience today(right now).
We do not see the wood from the trees. We see form. We have completly missed the no-form, the mathamatical zero. So funny.
Humans think they have no use for nothing, space, emptiness, without it though there would be nowhere for life to happen.
We are that space and without us, no experience.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I believe that within the now is the only place there is enlightenment. It`s the only place u will find light because no other time exists. It`s within the now that everything happens. If we can allow all things that come into our now to be and not argue with it, we will have peace.
Human thought wants to change things, to become more, to get away from now. If we look around at the beauty, instead of living in our heads, we would feel love and compassion.
Love and compassion live only in the now. Each time you catch your thoughts u will see they are fearful. Thought makes a problem about tomorrow and thought tries to solve it(just an example). Could spend a day juggling the thoughts, in the mean time it stumbles across other problems.
The human condition of suffering can not be solved with thought.
Thought is never in the now. Thought steals you away from now.
Thought is the anti christ.
Now, Space, Stillness,Emptiness, Presence, are where god is.
God said he is formless. I am that I am.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Spiritual Enlightenment is a point to be reached and a way of life.

After you reach it, you live that way. Various ways to go about it. Lots o' meditation and self inquiry, prayer, practice, reading, intellectual wrestling, baptism. All of this will lead to an eventual enlightenment.

Yes it is a state beyond ego, mind, thoughts, logic, reason. It's a state there are no longer words for, but the "you" is in that state beyond words. You simply sit back and rest in being, Is-ness, the now, love, transcendence.

This stuff is real my friend. I would put a zillion dollars to bet anyone so. I have this myself, though right now, the "I" that I'm using to write this is a temporary cloak/mask to use to communicate. Soon as this post is done, I'll take all that off and rest in infinity.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
To me it comes down to whether we see "enlightenment" as a state of illumination or a measure of weight.

If enlightenment is a light to illuminate the path, we work to keep that light burning.

If enlightenment is a measure of the weight we carry in this world, we only need set down what we don't want and choose not to pick it up again.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark
To me it comes down to whether we see "enlightenment" as a state of illumination or a measure of weight.

If enlightenment is a light to illuminate the path, we work to keep that light burning.

If enlightenment is a measure of the weight we carry in this world, we only need set down what we don't want and choose not to pick it up again.
I see it as both. As well as something we share with others to help "lighten" and help "illuminate".

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass

I see it as both. As well as something we share with others to help "lighten" and help "illuminate".

In which case, as both, we can burn what we don't want to carry any more and light our way with it

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass

In which case, as both, we can burn what we don't want to carry any more and light our way with it
Sounds efficient and practical. Let's do that.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
By the end of this post I think you might agree with me that "enlightenment" "illumination" and "weight" may hold different meanings, but in essence they are all connected.

What I find most interesting from this quote and thread is its influence in assembling my thought processes.

Is destruction, creation? Yes, destruction is creation. In my opinion all things are connected.

What about the idea of opposites*?

I question the term "opposites" because its definition has persuaded people to believe that some things are not connected in this world. Take for example someone's belief that burning something and extinguishing something are completely un-connected. It is true that they are opposites, but they are still connected. Like the genius above stated, we "burn" excess memories, weight, or baggage so that we may "grow" new and hopefully better dimensions; to me this sounds like a connection between opposites.

I have learned to love that I am lconnected to everything. In accordance I have grown strong in knowing that those connections will never truly leave me.

And to think this thread started from a simple word! Thanks OP.

Svesack

[edit on 6-6-2009 by thedude69]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
We as humans, with our duality and duplicity, are capable, and have experienced many degrees along those themes. We know we are capable of extreme opposites. We desire balance, but yet we are driven to experience all we can. So we do. We know we can be anything along the continuum. Where we choose feels good on there is different for everyone. Where we find the balance can be different. The energy can go either way, and does. A cop can be a criminal, a psychiatrist can be nuts. A calm person can get very angry. A sinner a saint and so on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join