It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama asks Australia to take Guantanamo detainees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Obama asks Australia to take Guantanamo detainees

www.reuters.com

SYDNEY (Reuters) - The United States has made a new request for Australia to accept a group of detainees from Guantanamo Bay for resettlement, a government spokeswoman said on Saturday.

The request is the first by President Barack Obama's administration, which plans to close down the detention camp in Cuba within the next year.

Media reports have said the request involves a group of Uighurs from China's largely Muslim western province of Xinjiang. Beijing has reportedly been pressing Washington to return them to China, but U.S. officials have expressed concerns about their likely treat
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It's the last sentence of this article that puzzles me.

If the detainees aren't involved in terrorism, why are they still detainees that need to be detained even further.

Have they been convicted of other crimes besides terrorism?

Are they just potential terrorist?

Are the PTB afraid that if released, they might detail the treatment they received in Gitmo.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Is Obama really concerned about how China will treat the detainees or are they more concerned how China will use the detainees as propaganda against the US?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Sounds fishy as hell to me as well.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Botany Bay anyone? Sounds like a plan to me. History repeating itself.

Sometimes I wonder if we'll ever learn.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
What ?

They want us to accept extemist muslim terrorists ? And do what with them ? reform them in our community ?

Have them convert peaceful muslims into extremists ?

Why don't they send them BACK TO CHINA or wherever it is they came from!

I hate america more and more every single day, I once wanted to be american, now I couldn't care less if yoy get blown to hell, your governments screw everything up for everyone else.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkitzoFrenic
What ?

They want us to accept extemist muslim terrorists ? And do what with them ? reform them in our community ?

I hate america more and more every single day, I once wanted to be american, now I couldn't care less if yoy get blown to hell, your governments screw everything up for everyone else.

You wouldn't care if we got blown to hell?!

Screw you buddy!!!

[edit on 30-5-2009 by FrankWhite222]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The US Administration just wants to get rid of these guys, but under the condition that they will never go public with their tales about torture in Gitmo. They can never just be released in America or China, it would be just too awful for Americans to hear the real truth. Like the child torture and rape pictures, Americans just do not want to see.

To show American war heroes as complete moral degenerates, war criminals, and cowards would not sit well with most Americans.

What will probably happen is these guys will eventually be resettled in Australia but they will be told, talk to a journalist or anyone else, and you go straight back into prison.
That is exactly what they did with David Hicks.
O/k Hicks is a scum bag, but even a scum bag deserves some sort of trail, with proper legal representation, and justice in an open court room.

Who says these Gitmo prisoners are actually guilty of anything at all ?

Just because the totally evil and corrupt Bush Administration claimed they were enemy combatants, does not make them so.

How about when Americans are rounded up under martial law and placed into FEMA Camps.
Should foreigners all just assume every single one of you is a dangerous lawless terrorist, just because the US government says that you all are ?

I would like to hear their side of events, and what evidence the US government actually holds against them before just assuming that they are the dangerous scum everyone seems to assume that they are.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SkitzoFrenic

Didn't somebody in your government stand up and tell the muslims that are trying to change the law in your country to go home or something like that?

I highly doubt any country is going to take these detainees, Obama knows he has a political mess on his hands. He ran before he could even crawl on this issue.

He knows the political backlash of trying them in America is even to great for him to handle. Honestly I wouldn't care if the terrorist were tried here had the FBI or the cops arrested them.

As it stand the military arrested them and they are fighting a war. Chances are they would be set free the first day in court here in America because they don't have the proper evidence. He knows that as well as everybody else. That is why he is stalling.

I hope Australia turns him down, and forces him to keep gitmo open. The reason why they won't return them to China is because the second the step off that plane they will be swept into cars and we will never know what happen to them. Chances are they would be tortured and die a slow antagonizing death that even they don't deserve.

The reason why we are holding them is because they were picked up in a War Zone, they were probably hanging around some real terrorist and got caught up in guilt by association, when you are at war that is all the evidence you need is guilt by association, and then they are militant they might not be fighting against us, but that is a few more people off the battle field that have the will to fire at our troops if they intended too or not.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkitzoFrenic
What ?

The reason is one of 2 reasons either they were spies and turned double agent and gave up information on oh i dont know china. Or these individuals asked for asylum and there is valid concerns for turning them over to china. As far as hiding any abuse thats just silliy the red cross has access to gitno and will take messages to relatives etc it is a common practice.So if they wanted to tell they wouldn't have to wait and trust ne the red cross would be all over it.
As for hating Americans im sorry you generalize and luckily most of your country doesn't agree with you Ive been to Australia twice now its a great country and i love the people i met (Well except the cab driver in Sydney but thats another story)and will go back again.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Yeah I have to admit I have had enough of this Nazi American Junta telling everyone what to do. If it falls into financial ruin then I for one say the world will be a better place as it was when Rome fell.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I really can't fathom why this is anyone else's problem. If I were pres I would order them moved to Bush's new giant mansion.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Yes.

Both sides of politics here in Australia have read the riot act to militant Muslims.

Basically we are an English speaking Christian nation that does not accept Sharia law, or the oppression of women. If you do not like that, tough luck, go back to where you came from.

And likewise many Americans that wish to immigrate here and bring with them their collection of high powered hand guns, assault weapons, and a typically American attitude of might s right are not welcome here either.

We do not like American or Muslim aggression here, and BOTH are met with fierce opposition by both ordinary Australians, and the government that represents our interests.

new topics

top topics

join