It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taguba Denies Telegraph 'Rape Photos' Story, White House Urges Coverage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Taguba Denies Telegraph 'Rape Photos' Story, White House Urges Coverage

www.huffingtonpost.com

White House reporters received an unusual email on Saturday, with a subject line stating, "Important Please Read: From White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs."

In the email body, Gibbs wrote:

A number of you have asked about or reported on a recent article in the Telegraph that inaccurately described photos which are the subject of an ongoing lawsuit. Both the Department of Defense and the White House have said the article was wrong, and now the individual who was purported to be the source of the article has said it's inaccurate. Given that this false report has been repeated around the world, and given the impact these negative reports have on our troops, I felt it was important for you to see this correction.

Gibbs included the full text of a story by Salon.com's Mark Benjamin, which features retired Army Maj. Gen. Antonio Taguba denying reports that he has seen the photos of prisoner abuse that the Obama administration is trying to keep secret.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-5-2009 by grover]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The important thing about this is:

... and now the individual who was purported to be the source of the article has said its inaccurate...

All I can say is that there have been reports of such things as these since the whole Abu Ghraib story first broke and I for one hope this is true...

Because if the reports of prisoner and child rape at the US run prison is true it is a serious black eye and shame for the nation.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-5-2009 by grover]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
And around and around and around. ooohhh, I'm getting all spinnie.

That's just the way the news flows in this age of way too many people trying to report way too few things. Rumors and/or incomplete information gets reported by someone, then someone else quotes that person as the source, which is then picked up by somebody else, until you never know just what the heck is going on. It started years ago when the networks began trying to pick who won the election before the other guy.

My absolute favorite for dependable info: "Reported on condition of anonymity as they are not authorized to speak on the subject". Go to any news source and I swear at least 25% of the articles you read will be based on these "anonymous" sources.

Thank heavens we have places like ATS to get the true, unbiased, and totally believable scoop on things....wait a minute.....

join