It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JUST IN: Good Samaritan pleads not guilty to charges stemming from mowing city park

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

JUST IN: Good Samaritan pleads not guilty to charges stemming from mowing city park

www.sanduskyregister.com

Authorities arrested Hamilton at 8:30 a.m. Thursday as the 48-year-old mowed the foot-high grass at Central Park. Police charged the Sunset Drive resident with obstructing official business and persistent disorderly conduct.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
You have got to be kidding me. The "authorities" who arrested Hamilton should be charged with a crime! Jesus Christ, what are these dim witted SOB's thinking.

Just to summarize, John Hamilton got tired of the grass and garbage at the central park and decided to take action by cleaning up the park and cutting the grass. The police then arrested Mr. Hamilton and charged him with obstructing official business and persistent disorderly conduct!

www.sanduskyregister.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
He's an eco terrorist.
He destroyed a micro climate based on his own selfish standards of neatness.

Call the Sierra Club.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mudman21

That just takes the cake doesn't it? Unless he mowed the lawn in the nude,or was drunk out of his mind,I would consider what he did a public service.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45

That just takes the cake doesn't it? Unless he mowed the lawn in the nude,or was drunk out of his mind,I would consider what he did a public service.

How big was the area that he mowed? He should send a bill for the gas he used in the lawnmower!

I thought I'd get to read the rest of article, but it wants 5.99 to read it.

Central Park, that is New York City, right?

[edit on 5/30/2009 by Jessicamsa]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I've heard one like this before. The public employees say that such action 'jeopardizes their jobs'. They don't want us to do it, even though they're too lazy. I say, the judge should let him go scot free.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
You live in tyranny. Resistance is futile. Obey or you will be tazed. Do not show signs of pain or you will be tazed again... OBEY OBEY OBEY

Yup thats what the world is coming too... kinda gives new meaning to the old saying no good deed goes unpunished...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Here is a couple of other news sources with the same story. Each has some details the other doesn't.

Ohio man arrested for cutting grass in public park

Good Samaritan pleads not guilty to charges stemming from mowing city park

What gets me is that the grass hasn't been mowed, because they are way understaffed. The workers claimed it was scheduled to be mowed, but they didn't say when. When were they going to get around to mowing it? Maybe in a month, two months, at the tail end of summer, or sometime next year?

The gull that they also said he had to adopt a section of the park in order to clean it up. Grrrrrrr
The government constantly asks you to volunteer, and Obama wants to start this volunteer army. I guess you can't volunteer and help unless it is under their guidelines with a ton of red tape.

How many bet that if he tried to adopt the section of park he wanted to mow, that they would turn him down for that? Besides, why should anyone have to adopt anything to clean it up? If you really want to clean up a part of the highway, why not just do it?

Too much red tape, and too much insanity.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Unbelievable

Apparently three cops were called onto the scene to deal with the perpetrator.

I think they charged him with 'mowing without a permit'.

If found guilty, Hamilton could face up to 90 days in jail and $1,000 in fines.

idoxlr8.blogspot.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11d5f5278911.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 30-5-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well folks, this all boils down to local government extortion . The lawns are not getting mowed because the new tax levee was most likely not passed and they are punishing the locality by not maintaining parks. When the people see the grass 3 feet tall and restrooms not cleaned and garbage not kept up, for a year or two maybe , just maybe they will get the people to vote to raise taxes.

When the normal citizen goes out to mow the lawn, he is really getting in the way of the extortion scheme, and they will put an end to it quickly, for taxes sake.!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I would like to know what official business was obstructed, and how this is considered disorderly conduct.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This is completely ridiculous. You'd think the local government would be more supportive of someone cleaning up a park. He should've graffitied something; he might've gotten a medal and the key to the city.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

You hit the nail on top of the head my friend! They damn sure want their money and don't dare try to cut into their money. This should be spread all over every media outlet in the US.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
This is where the citizens of the city should show their power by rallying against the court to drop the charges against him.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

This world is totally crazy.

The man was tryng to help.

This illustrates how far people are removed from each other, doesn't it?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
This is so insane are we sure the original news source is reputable or know for sure where it originated at?

Just asking because what idiot would report him? He does your job for you for free and you get paid to let him do it come on who wouldn't want that?

Another question might be if the parks lawn wasn't within the city's code requirement then who would get the fine, the city fine itself? (assuming it was as tall as it said)

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
hmmm i wonder if anyone living in the area could sue the local governement for failing to maintain central park?

local housing communes happily sue you if you don`t mow your own lawn every day

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This was one of the comments left on the story. Very good information.

Here is something you might find interesting. In 1960 in a case Thompson versus NYPD. Mr. Thompson was standing on a street corner talking in a normal voice, to no-one in particular. A patrolman came by and watched for awhile then approched the man and asked him to stop. The man did not listen to the officer and continued to talk. The officer again asked him to stop and he refused and thereafter was arrested on disordly conduct and failure to obey a lowful order. It went all the way to the Supreme Court which ruled in favor of the citizen. The ruling stated that no law officer of a township, village, city, state, or federal government may give an order to a citizen to desist, refrain, stop or any other order that is not backed up by a ordinance, law or proclamation and therefore cannot be arrested for failure to obey a law enforcement officer. The reason behind the ruling was to prevent the establishment of a police state which could control all facets of ones life.

The moral of this is that the officers who arrested Mr. Hamilton illegally asked him to stop, since there is no law governing a citizen cutting the grass at a public park. The officers should have told that busy body who called them they had no grounds to arrest. Telling him to stop was an illegal command since there is no law backing up those commands, i.e. Officer; stop what you are doing, citizen: stop what, officer; stop cutting the grass, bleeeeeep an illegal command by the officer. Falsely arresting someone on an illegal command and then having to call the idiot prosecutor to ask what they can charge him with is also unlawful. They have to inform the citizen at the time of arrest what he being arrested for. Since the command to stop cutting the grass was an illegal command, his subsequent arrest is also illegal. Just thought you might like to know the rights of a citizen. "

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Let's see, I work on average 70hrs a week, plus all the other resposibilities to familly, so what do y'all think would happen to me if I let my grass get over a foot tall, and when the county came by I showed them a to-do list, and explained that I was overworked and "understaffed" and that I would get around to it when I could???

Well at least he didn't try to feed the hungry, he might have gotten life for that...

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
this is the kind of thing that could make a fine upstanding citizen go totally postal.

thats bureaucracy for ya'.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join