It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US lab debuts super laser

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

US lab debuts super laser

news.yahoo.com

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) – A US weapons lab on Friday pulled back the curtain on a super laser with the power to burn as hot as a star.

The National Ignition Facility's main purpose is to serve as a tool for gauging the reliability and safety of the US nuclear weapons arsenal but scientists say it could deliver breakthroughs in safe fusion power.
(visit the link for the full news article)

MOD EDIT: Fixed thread title. Please review this link.

[edit on 21-6-2009 by TheBorg]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well isnt it about time this kind of thing happened. With the way the economy is headed its like a glimmer of hope. Absolute pure energy by fission and plenty of it to go around. What will happen next, hyperdemesional gate jumping? Scientist at the NIF are saying this could be the answer to many of the worlds existing woes. Sadly, with extreme power, facism in its full aspect usually will follow. If there is no avoiding this destiny now, the very road we took to avoid it is ending. Obviously the maker and owners of such a great technological corporation will soon have power far beyond that of any King or Emperor, but perhaps the very real power of a god. I am on the edge of my seat on this one.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Great, something else for me to steal. This will help in me conquring the world like I dreamed of.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Amazing.

Am I hearing this right? A real laser beam that can actually do something other than point? This is something right out of Sci-Fi. And as an added bonus we'll be able to harvest almost unlimited energy?

The only thing left to do is for a mad-scientist to steal this and hold the world for ransom. Now paging Dr. Evil.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Seems good but I bet they wont roll the energy out to the public.

It sounds very dangerous too, but when have we ever let that stop us?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
When I think about it, I get really creeped out. Whether or not ol Dr. Evil wants to hold the world for ransom in some simple one worldly desire for money, the real understanding of this power goes far beyond dollar signs and all commodity on the Earth. When at its full potential, this technology can emulate balck holes. Yes I am talking about those hyperdemensional portals to which would bring so much power beyond what the common criminal could decipher. How far could greed go on this one? I really think ol Adlof might get a little jealous in his grave as this power spreads and starts wars of ultimate possession and vanity. For some reason I think God was right to confine us here to this garden, so we would not destroy the good things in heaven, which we do not understand, but in so much chase after. It appears we have taken the first bite of the forbidden fruit, soon to see those ivory tyranical towers, once again.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
this is the line that really jumps out at me

A fusion reaction triggered by the super laser hitting hydrogen atoms will produce more energy than was required to prompt "ignition," according to NIF director Edward Moses.

thats pretty amazing.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
So this in theory could change the world and in the event the star grows it could destroy us from within, between this and the LHC, NK, Iran, 2013, I am going to start walking the streets with a "The End is Near" Sandwich boards

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
So this in theory could change the world and in the event the star grows it could destroy us from within, between this and the LHC, NK, Iran, 2013, I am going to start walking the streets with a "The End is Near" Sandwich boards

Yeah I know what you mean.

There are obviously other things that will be done with this to benefit mankind, like the possibility of being energy independent. But still the first thing that pops into the most of our minds (from the looks of it) is "Doomsday Machine".

Edited for Grammar!

[edit on 30-5-2009 by Shamrock87]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This is excellent news. I hope it's full potential is utilized for the benefit of all. I look forward to creating a smaller version and experimenting myself.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by inregardstoo
For some reason I think God was right to confine us here to this garden, so we would not destroy the good things in heaven, which we do not understand, but in so much chase after. It appears we have taken the first bite of the forbidden fruit, soon to see those ivory tyranical towers, once again.

Do not confuse the actions of the Lizard Hearted with those that a Human Heart would undertake.

The Human Hearted are loving, caring beings. The Lizard Hearted do evil and then blame it on "human nature" in the MSM. See the difference between these two groups. It is important in making sense of what we see in the world today (and in many years past).

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I am not trying to be the worry wart here, I am just saying I would feel bad for the niave people who disagree with the futuristic leaders associated with this type of technology.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
im going to keep this short and sweet. i dont believe in coincidence and the timing of this "unveiling" during the energy crisis seems to signal something else to me. if we are the only country capable of making this technology its a new way for us to take power out of the third worlds hands concerning oil and claim our standing on the top rung of the ladder of energy supply. just a thought.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
can someone tell the people at CULHAM that the fusion reactor there doesn`t work as everyone is waiting for NIF aparantly.

oh and the iranian torgue as wll doesn`t work (according to this movie)

[edit on 30/5/09 by Harlequin]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I once talk to some one who wanted to tell me more he had some crazy theories, but said that some people cared. He talked about the speed of light, gravity and time travel also i asked about teleportation. He said some theories should be mathematical reversed.Great find thanks.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Existing thread posted yesterday
Giant Laser Reactor Unveiled in California

-E-

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by justanothergangster2
im going to keep this short and sweet. i dont believe in coincidence and the timing of this "unveiling" during the energy crisis seems to signal something else to me. if we are the only country capable of making this technology its a new way for us to take power out of the third worlds hands concerning oil and claim our standing on the top rung of the ladder of energy supply. just a thought.

That thought had also crossed my mind. But what purpose would it serve? It would make more sense if it was a corporation like Exxon unveiling this, but it's the USAF.

Could it be that we would become totally dependent on the Govt. to supply us with all of our energy? Scary thought.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This should be they greatest news ever but alas what do you really think would come of this?Free energy?not on your life TPTB will see to it that the only ones that benefit are the elite.It would make no difference to the average person!If we are not even in control of our own money ie; the federal reserve, what makes you think TPTB are gonna let this benefit mankind?That is why we are doomed as a species,the ones in control are dirty and the rest are just stupid!.............................................Oh yeah then there's us,the real minority the Intelligent Impotent CHEERS!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The way I see it. If the technology is properly controlled it could bring cheap energy to everyone at little cost what so ever. When its looked at in the bigger picture, it would also drive down the cost of most of the commodities. At face value I am seeing many people getting interested in this quickley, with some politicing going on in the lobby as manufacturers start to see how big this really can be, once they see the off world dollar signs.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamrock87

yes but day by day it seems we are coming closer to that exact reality. but that really isnt a discussion for this thread. however if we were the only ones capable of free energy it could still be charged for and if we somehow managed not to allow the process to achieve it to leak.... well i think everyone knows what that would mean. america would always be a superpower regardless of any other situation.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join