It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ariz. halts use of uncovered outdoor prison holding cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Ariz. halts use of uncovered outdoor prison holding cells

www.azcentral.com

The Arizona Department of Corrections has halted the practice of holding Arizona state prison inmates in outdoor cages so workers can retrofit the cages to provide shade and water.

Charles L. Ryan, the department's director, ordered the temporary suspension last week after the death of Marcia Powell at Arizona State Prison Complex-Perryville. Powell, 48, died of heat-related causes after spending four hours in temperatures that reached 107.5 degrees.

Powell's death has led to the suspension of three prison officials and a criminal investigation into their conduct.

The state pris
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
what I find most disturbing about this story is that here in az. we have laws that prosecute people for leaving their animals outside in the summer months w/o shade and water.The story also cites the fact that she has a history of mental illness, and alot of the prescription drugs that treat mental illness contain a warning about unnecessary exposure to sunlight...so do prisoners deserve the same humane treatment that animals do?
Another unnamed fact in the story is that the gop controlled az. legislature wants to sell all the prisons to private companies and contract all their prisoners to them...how can this help with accountability and oversight?

www.azcentral.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by glevel

First of all the name of the article is:

"Ariz. halts use of uncovered outdoor prison holding cells"

What do dogs have to do with it?

Putting animals or humans in 107 degree heat until they die is criminal and rightfully so.

I'm glad to see that those responsible are under criminal investigation.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

i choose that title because in the ars(arizona revised statutes) there are statutes in effect which allow for prosecution of a person if they allow their
animal to be kept outside in the summer months without shade or water for any extended period, but that does not appear to be the case with prisoners.
here is the entire ars for your enjoyment, and in it you will not find one law, act or statute that protects prisoners to the extent that animals are protected...that is what it has to do with it

www.azleg.state.az.us...

also, these people are not being charged or prosecuted as of yet, and if you read the article it states as much, as well as saying they are being investigated for violating internal procedure.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by glevel

i choose that title ...

Except that on ATS the T&C states that you're not allowed to change the title of the cited article in the breaking news forum. I'm just giving you a heads up because unless you change/edit it yourself it will be changed by staff that's all.

also, these people are not being charged or prosecuted as of yet, and if you read the article it states as much, as well as saying they are being investigated for violating internal procedure.

Well, the article says:

Powell's death has led to the suspension of three prison officials and a criminal investigation into their conduct.

Hopefully they will charge those responsible accordingly.

[edit on 30 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by glevel
Another unnamed fact in the story is that the gop controlled az. legislature wants to sell all the prisons to private companies and contract all their prisoners to them...how can this help with accountability and oversight?

Actually, it will help. It will transfer the liability to the contractor. Don't you think that private businesses who run the chance of being bankrupted by a lawsuit will be more careful than the government? I do.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The title of your thread is highly misleading, there is no mention of dogs, or their treatment as opposed to that of prisoners in that article.

Now that that's out of the way no person or animal should be left outside in extreme temperatures like that, especially in a cage

They should all be charged with criminal manslaughter.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This is why I'll keep eatin' and wearin' animals to avenge the humans. Yummmy!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

sorry... i take full responsibility for that mistake and assure you that it will not happen again..thanks for the heads up!

new topics

top topics

join