It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminism: Good or Bad?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by marklance30

Agreed, I'm all for women rights, I'm an advocate that they should also be on the top of the line when a draft is called in, as to not make them feel secluded or unequal.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Who knows what the human race will be like in centuries or thousands of years, i doubt we will be anything like us one day.

Just because you think that 2 genders are important and sex is important today, does not mean forever. Sexual energy plays a big part in so many of human beings thinking, and alot of the bad stuff is to do with this.

One day i think we will have stronger minds to eal with some thing more.

I think for most definite we are moving towards one gender, but we will not live to see it obviously.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Thanks, that was very kind of you. I've been married to the father of my children for almost 29 years now. We plan on being together the rest of our lives. When the kids come home to visit, they will have their old bedrooms the way they left them.

You were very fortunate to have a stay at home mom. My parents marriage was a victim of the "Me" generation. My mom bought the lie hook line and sinker. She filed for a divorce six weeks after she got her high paying job at GM. The system was all rigged in her favor. It took my dad years to recover financially for all that happened.

Now, my mom is truly sorry for what she put us kids through and wishes she still had my dad.

We practically raised ourselves. I was eight years old and responsible for getting my two younger sisters up, fed, dressed, lunches packed and on the bus. We never once missed the bus or a day of school, I was scared of my mom. She was NOT a nurturing mother.

Feminism gets a thumb down from me. I lived the bad parts of it.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by hardamber]

[edit on 30-5-2009 by hardamber]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This is such an emotive subject. Of course women should have equal opportunity in education and the workplace yet at the same time we should celebrate the differences and our differnt roles in life.
The feminist movement started with the Suffrage movement. Then the surge in the 60's. These were about equality and women having control over their own lives.
Now it has gone beyond that and imo it is government or who is behind the government taking control.
Here in the UK women are encouraged to work before their child reaches a year, often they have no choice, school starting age is getting lower and lower. Why? I believe it is so that the powers who be can start brainwashing us earlier.
Stay at home mums do not have the same status as those who work, yet what more important job is there than nurturing a child.
Why have a child if he/she is going to spend the majority of its life with someone else.
I remember reading how Communist countries took control of the children from babyhood now we are doing the same.
It is all about control.
Sorry for the rant.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Star for you!!

I totally agree and that was not a rant. It is the truth.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
When the economic situation forces women into the work place and not in the home; how do you expect women to compete with men unless they become more assertive. Feminism is a result of economics.

All my lovers were/are Feminist and they were/are as female as any non feminist. Possibly even more so because they aren't afraid to be sexually aggressive.

Only some kind of girly man or psuedomacho man would ever criticize a woman for being a feminist. Grow a pair dude!!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
[edit on 30-5-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
When the economic situation forces women into the work place and not in the home; how do you expect women to compete with men unless they become more assertive. Feminism is a result of economics.

All my lovers were/are Feminist and they were/are as female as any non feminist. Possibly even more so because they aren't afraid to be sexually aggressive.

Only some kind of girly man or psuedomacho man would ever criticize a woman for being a feminist. Grow a pair dude!!

I live in one of the most expensive cities in North America and I know many couples today who are raising families and the mom stays at home.

"Most" of the time I find that when both parents work it has more to do with trying to live beyond their means at the expense of their children rather than any "economic situation".

Further, not buying the feminist story hook line and sinker has nothing to do with a woman being strong and confident in herself.Feminism has everything to do with, "what's in it for me, and I could care less about the consequences of pursuing it".

Ps. The surge of feminism in the 1960's can be directly linked to the invention of the birth control pill.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by leo123

Ps. The surge of feminism in the 1960's can be directly linked to the invention of the birth control pill.

That's true but the roots of feminism sprouted and grew during WWII when women joined the workforce to do jobs usually reserved for men.
ex. Rosie the Riveter

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

That's true but the roots of feminism sprouted and grew during WWII when women joined the workforce to do jobs usually reserved for men.
ex. Rosie the Riveter

It goes back a lot further than. Here's a little history for you:

Feminism history

The pill simply kicked what I call the "selfish feminist era" into a crazed stage. Society's morals at the time that SIGNIFICANTLY frowned upon a woman getting pregnant outside of marriage kept a lid on things until the pill.

Suddenly, women had this massive new freedown that they could run around and screw anything in sight bareback without granny finding out and taking her out to the shed.

That said, shortly after the pill was introduced there was an exposion in STD's, so they quickly discovered there was no free lunch.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by leo123]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by marklance30
Feminism by definition is simply equal rights for women. Equal rights, is that radical?

marklance30:

That's very typical of lefty theories, they all have that touchy feelie sound bite to them, but when reality sets in and the rubber hits the road they never play out in the real world as originally advertised.

I can't think of a better example that proves this than feminism.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I grew up being taught that a marriage was two people working together towards a common goal no matter what the task at hand was,

And it still is. For most of us, we do what we can to keep the family afloat, but these days the family cannot float well in most families with just the salary of one. (Unless you can get the economy back to 1950, making women stay at home and be homemakers won't work in the least.)

Now, I am a feminist in the sense that if I am hired to do a job, and can do it well, I expect no pay variance from a male doing the same job as I am.

I am a feminist in the sense that I believe that I, and no one else, has full right to control of my body.

I am a feminist in that I expect no limit to what I may do if I choose - unless the job requires a penis. (I may suck at what I choose to do, but I expect to have the option.)

I am a feminist because I am an equal Individual of Sentience.

I am a partner with my husband. He and I are equals, and we work with one another to solve the issues in our lives.

I do not put him below me, but by the same courtesy, I expect not to be put beneath him.

Does this strip me of my feminist status?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

I am a feminist in the sense that I believe that I, and no one else, has full right to control of my body.

This is the one guys have so much trouble with. It's not so much they object to women having full control over their body, it's the fact that once an unwanted pregnancy occurs many women use their full control over their body against a man by denying him any say or choice about the outcome of the pregnancy - and the Stae fully sanctions this.

We call that trying to suck and blow at the same time.

Put another way, if you want full control of your body and all the choices during an unwanted pregnancy, why are you not willing to accept full responsibility for your decision?

(apologies for the edits - spelling)

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The problem with tackling a philosophy like feminism is that there are so many subcategories that you're liable to be "wrong" by somebody.

I see gender-bending as a product of generational values and gay acceptance, more than feminism. Let's face it, if it were not for generational values, gays wouldn't be allowed to be as ostentatious and flamboyant as they are. I think that female gender-bending can be attributed to a combination of dietary factors: soy consumption, veganism, and slimming down out of a fear of being physically unattractive, or even objectified (young women have a larger average breast size now than an any time in the past 100 years, and rape is on a sharp increase while other types of violent crime are decreasing).

The main issue I have with feminism is that it teaches women to value to power of their bodies in lieu of spiritual development. In fact, it teaches women that they are "goddesses," which totally has ties to humanism. What they neglect to mention is that the "goddess" actually represents the ovulating vagina rather than the whole woman as a complex person. When women do nude photography because it's supposed to be "artistic," "therapeutic" or "a subject of curiosity," I just cringe. There are Masonic codewords thrown in like "worshipping your temple" which makes me cringe further.

They also teach that pregnancy is an "unwanted consequence" of enjoying sexual pleasure!! WTF?? (Actually, this is how Venus/Aphrodite was described in Roman/Greek mythology.)

Girls and young women, apparently, are not even able to enjoy being young because they are having it forced onto them that they should be thinking about birth control before they have even lost their virginity. Lots of girls go on birth control to regulate their menstrual periods, which is absolutely ridiculous. That only tempts girls into satisfy their "curiosity," as well as enabling sexual predators. I've known a few girls who experimented with sex shortly after going on the pill for difficult menstrual periods. Difficult periods are normal for adolescent girls with fluctuating hormones. Additionally, a lot of them are malnourished because they are on a starvation "diet" which only exacerbates their problem, not to mention decreasing their immune response against diseases. It's sickening.

Feminists say that men think about sex once every 0.3 seconds or something, but at the same time feminist expression is loaded with shouting, emotional anchoring and sex talk. Indoctrinating a young girl into the feminist subculture should be considered a form of abuse; it seems like they come out spiritually scarred and disfigured rather than prepared for motherhood.

In a way, it's more of an insurance plan for older women who have become barren, than any sort of beneficial rite of passage for girls. You no longer hear "experts" talking about phenomena like "empty-nest syndrome." Now it's like having to raise a kid is the syndrome.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by vcwxvwligen]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Right on star for you!!!

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Leo, I have to agree with you.

Women needed to be made equal to men, which before feminism they definitely were not, but I think it went too far. Women became superior. This damaged the family structure. People have their own role to play, and when women began taking over men's roles, it was the family structure, and therefore the children, that suffered.

I think it has caused a lot of the world's problems including relationship problems and, btw, I am a woman.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Guess who hijacked the Dept. of Education 20+ years ago? The feminists.

Today, boys are so maginalized in the educational system in favour of girls, women now account for over 60% of all university students, obtain 35% more Bachelor's degrees than men and a WHOPPING 50% more Masters degrees than men.

But the most shocking statistic is less than 20% of women actually use their degree for a long term career.

What the current education system has created is a lost generation of men, yet their prime responsibility as an ecoinomic provider has not changed.

There is something VERY wrong with this picture.

Actually that would seem to be the men's fault for not stepping up and taking care of the woman who had their child. You are complaining about women taking over a man's life when they have a child. Hey... guess what. You put your precious "main" brain in that special place all on your own without a condom. So if your life sucks because you could not keep your "precious" in the pocket. Then you pay the price.

And if women are not following through with their education that probably means they had to stop THEIR career because the man in their life had too fragile an ego to let her bring the bacon home even though she probably had a better education and options for a better job.

However, because the woman is USUALLY the more compassionate and caring of a couple, the woman stays home to take care of the children irregardless of her educational background. It's a maternal instinct. Maybe the woman realizes a man might really mess up with the kids and the kids would not learn to be compassionate with the man as the main caregiver. It sounds like you would really raise a psycho if you were left that duty.

By the way, feminism started out as wanting to be equal in society. NOT take over. As with any group there are extremes. Personally I wouldn't burn my bra. I like having perkier boobs than women half my age.

I want a partner and equal in a relationship and we decide mutually what benefits each other and our relationship. It is not about one or the other being more dominant. There is always a more dominant person in a relationship. However, in an equal relationship there is give an take between both so that sometimes he will be the dominant partner and sometimes the woman will be the dominant partner. (Or if you are gay or lesbian... same concept different genders).

I can pay my own bills. I want a lover, confidant and best friend whom I can trust. You obviously will never have that with the machoist attitude you have. However, if that outlook suits you... then good for you. It means there is one less jerk I need to worry about and the gene pool will be a little bit deeper.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
OP i want the world to get down to 1 gender, so i do think it is worth it. The ends do justify it for me. Females are destroying themslves for the right to be more male.

I want there to be only one gender and i would bet my life, one day we will be one gender in real terms, and not just in some con like today, with feminism. Mankind will decide to goto one gender as science will have moved on.

Also there is lots of changes being done today.

But one day bye bye one of the genders and we will be a mixture of them both.

I really hope not. Sex is great just the way it is. However, knowing mankind he won't be satisfied until reproduction is done away with and suddenly mankind will die.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Are you serious? Yes, lets put all our blame on women because apparently you find yourself in company of a few unworthy females. It take two, to create a baby, man have a higher rate of infidelity leading to divorce and power to the single mom going it alone.

Lets think about men shall we.. Lets see, unbelievable amount of rape, kidnapping, child molestation and pedophilia, prostitution, perversions, Violences, gangs, arrogance, beating women...

I think the women come in looking pretty clean compared to men.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by marklance30

Agreed, I'm all for women rights, I'm an advocate that they should also be on the top of the line when a draft is called in, as to not make them feel secluded or unequal.

I am a woman and I agree with that statement except it should not be on gender selection but on either age, name, skillset, etc...

I never understood why women were excluded. If men were worried about losing the women at the war front then there are a multitude of other areas the women could work in. I personally did not join the military but if I had been forced to go then I would have and done it to the best of my ability.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join