It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminism: Good or Bad?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 30 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Here's my cut.

I am in the camp that thinks feminism has done a phenomenal amount of damage to our society, to the extent that if it were to return to the 50’S tomorrow it would likely take 3 or 4 generations just to repair the damage.

I grew up being taught that a marriage was two people working together towards a common goal no matter what the task at hand was, and that somehow got thrown out the door with feminism to mean women have all the choice and men have none. Namely, men still have only one choice in life today and that is, “Get your fanny out of bed and get to work”. Sadly, the feminists in our world never factored in how it would impact the children and the facts are now in. Every single family and child statistic you look at compared to 1970 paints to one hell of an ugly picture. Divorce rate, serious crime by young women, single never married mothers raising children, the marriage rate declining and the age at which they do get married advancing significantly, male suicide owing to unfair court rulings, on and on. Those are the facts, here and now.

I feel most sorry for the generation behind us. Time and again I see women who were raised where the number one priorities drilled into them by our society is an education and career and nowhere on the radar is having a husband and family. Then they wake up at 35 and realize the clock is running out and many find their only real option at that point is a single parent life after a trip to the fertility clinic. Men, particularly urban single men in the 30-35 year old range are now having vasectomies in record numbers because they realize that if they get a woman pregnant, accidentally or intentionally, they have zero control over their life from that moment on and are relegated to a puppet on a string. Most have experienced directly or indirectly the utter car wreck the courts today impose on men and when asked whether they want to get married, their answer is, “Are you out of your mind?”

Finally, I literally see feminism as sowing the seeds of destruction for our way of life. Our birth rates are now so low compared to more traditional societies in the world today we are certain to become irrelevant in numbers within only a few generations.

I consider myself very fortunate in that I am happy, very comfortable financially, and have a wonderful assortment of truly lovely ladies to keep me company or to travel the world with, but would never dream of getting married again or even living with a lady. That said, if a generation is measured by the generation that follows them, we have failed miserably.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Oh, please, do not blame feminists for our society troubles.

Raw, unprocessed and cruel version of Capitalism we have in USA is what really is eating it up from inside.

But, hey, whatever excuse you have for not getting married works for ya, lol

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 5thElement

5thElement:

How you can correlate the utterly disasterous family and child statistics I referred to since 1970 to a purported, "Raw, unprocessed and cruel version of Capitalism", completely escapes me.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by leo123]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5thElement

But, hey, whatever excuse you have for not getting married works for ya, lol

see thats a major problem, feminists are sexists plain and simple

you think if your anti-feminist, that you possibly couldnt get married??

HAHA my WIFE is Anti-Feminist (i guess you think shes a traitor??)

Anyways. She agrees 100% that Feminism or Machoism are both sexist and totally ignorant mind sets that simple feeble minded people dwell on

Anyways, did you know that the person who started the feminist movement had links with the CIA? Ya the CIA caused the feminist movement to become fringe and ludicrous.

Thats why all of their philosophies are ignorant and backwards now.

Feminism or Machoism are no better than Nazism IMHO

What better way to turn all the women into industrial slaves (oh they deserve to be slaves, they fought hard for this right!)
And what better way to destroy the "Family" perhaps the only thing strong enough to hold off the Brave New World?
What better way to create twice as many taxpayers?

You tell me.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
You blame things like high divorce rates and low birth rates on women. I'm not sure if it's because of women but we'll assume it is and I'd ask how you see it as a bad thing in general? Maybe divorce rates are higher because women now have the courage to get themselves out of a bad relationship. There was once a time when women were forced to stay in bad marriages because the man was their sole support and society frowned upon independent women. That's not so anymore. So if a women is in a bad relationship she feels more empowered to leave it and be on her own. Many women don't feel they have to have a man to make them complete. But I do see some women taking that to the extreme and it bothers me.

You seem to have a contempt for strong women who don't rely on a man for their worth. While you seem to see that as a bad thing, don't you see that you are on the opposite side of the coin? I would think that would make you able to understand the line of thinking more. You've made a point to say you will not tie yourself to one women. You sound like that is empowering to you. Can't you see how the same thing can go for a woman?

As for lower birth rates, I'd also ask why that is a bad thing? Women were previously seen as having only a purpose of reproducing and keeping the home. I'm sorry, I have a heck of a lot more worth than that. My existence on this planet is not solely to produce a lineage for a man. Also, the world's population has been out of control because women have felt that was their purpose and now they realize it's not all there is to being a women. I don't see a problem with slowing the increase in populations. It would have dire consequences if not.

Extreme feminism is just as bad as extreme machoism. You need a balance of both energies in order for things to work the way they are supposed to.

So is feminism bad? To an extent. Just as our male dominated society has been a drag on the positive progression of the world, feminism run amok will have it's consequences also. The reason feminism may seem bad in general is because it challenges the status quo of our male dominated society. Of course you're going to have upset when the balance starts to shift and the formerly dominating energy has to give up some of it's power. You can't expect everything to be peaches and cream when after years of supression, one energy is suddenly given some power. Just like with all things, you give a little to something that once had nothing, it will take a lot more than intended.

I am a woman and sometimes the feminist movement gets on my nerves. Not because it empowers women. Women shouldn't be confined to the home and to do their husbands bidding if that's not what works for them. But sometimes the feminist movement has an undertone of a hatred for men in general that I don't like at all.

i also think that some women have become overcome by the movement feeling it's their duty to all women to work outside the home and be independent. Sometimes, and I do mean sometimes, it's to the detriment of the family.

You can't generalize how family structures should work. It depends on the circumstances.

I am of the opinion that eventually, and I'm sure it will take decades or possibly centuries, the male/female energies will balance out.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
"Chicks can't hold their smoke, that's what it is"
Weird Science

Society is to blame for trying to redefine our roles in society. If you want to blame someone specifically, I'd start with the Dept. of Education.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
"Chicks can't hold their smoke, that's what it is"
Weird Science

Society is to blame for trying to redefine our roles in society. If you want to blame someone specifically, I'd start with the Dept. of Education.

Guess who hijacked the Dept. of Education 20+ years ago? The feminists.

Today, boys are so maginalized in the educational system in favour of girls, women now account for over 60% of all university students, obtain 35% more Bachelor's degrees than men and a WHOPPING 50% more Masters degrees than men.

But the most shocking statistic is less than 20% of women actually use their degree for a long term career.

What the current education system has created is a lost generation of men, yet their prime responsibility as an ecoinomic provider has not changed.

There is something VERY wrong with this picture.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Its good,but the extremist feminists where everything and anything somehow gets tied into it just annoy the living hell out of me,i know someone like this and she is just a royal PITA.Im all for it, but the extremist go out their way to make a big deal out of anything under the sun.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It's good. It creates more homosexual males.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Does this not constitute "hate speech" like any other bigotry. Why is it OK to attach feminism with prejudice. Feminism by definition is simply equal rights for women. In my opinion, those who disagree, are intolerant. I expected more from you guys!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by marklance30

You can't possible be ok with every single group out there, should we all also be super nice and okay with the KKK and Black Panthers. I mean they just want equal treatment too, and things to go back the way they were in the old days.

Everyones a little bigot and racist, it's how the world works, to think in a supersensitive way is going to be a big downfall.

It's not hate speech, the OP simple suggested that maybe the feminist movement does more harm then good, and listed facts to support the arguement, so that makes this a hate speech, c'mon get real.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by Republican08]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Aaron Russo said he was told by a Rockefeller feminism was all about getting a broader tax base. It makes the elite richer. They manipulated women with movies, magazines, literature etc....and they fell for it.

I planned on going back to work after I had my first child, but honestly I couldn't do it. I was in love with that child and couldn't bear to pay a stranger to raise him. We had to sacrifice financially, but we did it. I'm glad I didn't let society succeed in making me feel like I was not a contributer. I raised some awesome kds who are college educated and doing well.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by marklance30
Does this not constitute "hate speech" like any other bigotry. Why is it OK to attach feminism with prejudice. Feminism by definition is simply equal rights for women. In my opinion, those who disagree, are intolerant. I expected more from you guys!

This is a typical response from a radical left winger. Anyone who doesn't agree with them 100% or points out flaws with their agenda endures a personal attack in a pathetic attempt to deflect away from the facts.

But the facts aren't going to change.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
OP i want the world to get down to 1 gender, so i do think it is worth it. The ends do justify it for me. Females are destroying themslves for the right to be more male.

I want there to be only one gender and i would bet my life, one day we will be one gender in real terms, and not just in some con like today, with feminism. Mankind will decide to goto one gender as science will have moved on.

Also there is lots of changes being done today.

But one day bye bye one of the genders and we will be a mixture of them both.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I really hope not- and believe not either that will be the case. Several, different genders? Yes. One, singel? No.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Really one gender? But I love women, they make the world go round, and other stuff! I find them very useful to society!

I think the world would be mighty boring with just one gender, asexual reproduction doesn't sound very fun to me.... well I suppose I wouldn't be around for that.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Another thing we need to look at is women working.

Without a mom at home, kids are raised by TV, video games, gangs or worse.

I'm 25, but when I was in school, we ALL went to the kids house after school who's parents were both at work, or who was being raised by a single mom and she was at work.

That is where you'd smoke pot and drink, have sex and all that other great stuff kids do these days.

With so many kids being raised without parents, and so many boys raised by only women, there is nothing but problems to come!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

I see your point there, especially in my town, the girls are very ungirly, and the dudes are girly as all hell, their even getting their jeans from girls pant shops! Wearing eyeliner and makeup, I don't think their gay, but this metrosexual thing is really awkward in society.

Girls are becoming more well guyish, not wearing makeup anymore, probably cause the dudes bought out all the local stores

It's weird awkward times, I don't get when being a drag queen was hip...... that's what it is right, if a guy is wearing girls clothes, he's a drag queen right....

My town = Super Bizarre.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by hardamber
Aaron Russo said he was told by a Rockefeller feminism was all about getting a broader tax base. It makes the elite richer. They manipulated women with movies, magazines, literature etc....and they fell for it.

I planned on going back to work after I had my first child, but honestly I couldn't do it. I was in love with that child and couldn't bear to pay a stranger to raise him. We had to sacrifice financially, but we did it. I'm glad I didn't let society succeed in making me feel like I was not a contributer. I raised some awesome kds who are college educated and doing well.

hardamber:

Congratulations on your decisions in life you are obviously enjoying the rewards of having your head screwed on right and not letting a "noise" send you in the wrong direction.

I was raised in a traditional stay at home mom house and I thank them to this day for providing this environment for me.

That said, my mom was obviously very loving to us kids and showed it, but she always put my dad as number one in her life (and vice-versa) and that is largely the reason they are still together today after 55 years, I believe.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Feminism by definition is simply equal rights for women. Equal rights, is that radical?

Look, this is not gender issue. Most women would love to stay at home and take good care of the kids (or men). Men and Women both are the targets of consumerism. Lets look to the marketing of a consumer driven society, and not to a human rights campaign. Feminism does not strive to lesson the quality of child care, it aims for equal rights. This is more likely the fault of distorted and aggressive capitalism.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join