It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers Bill Taxpayers For TVs, Cameras, Lexus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

WASHINGTON -- Florida Rep. Alcee Hastings spent $24,730 in taxpayer money last year to lease a 2008 luxury Lexus hybrid sedan. Ohio Rep. Michael Turner expensed a $1,435 digital camera. Eni Faleomavaega, the House delegate from American Samoa, bought two 46-inch Sony TVs.

The expenditures were legal, properly accounted for and drawn from allowances the U.S. government grants to lawmakers. Equipment purchased with office expense accounts must be returned to the House or the federal General Services Administration when a lawmaker leaves office.

But as British politicians come under widening scorn for spending public money on everything from candy bars to moat-dredging, an examination of U.S. lawmakers' expense claims shows Washington's elected officials have also used public funds for eye-catching purchases.

[url online.wsj.com...]

In a time when Washington has failed us to no extent this comes out. I think most of us know this happens but I guess to see it in reality one just can't help but want to hit someone. Now I don't give a damn about the statement that the government officials cant use this for personal goods you know and I know it still ends up being used personally in one way or another. If one adds up the allowances for each senator and house rep this is around $1 billion dollars that is used for crap. Is it not enough these guys get paid way to much as it is and get paid for LIFE we have to give them a $4 million dollar expense account? Is it me or is this just another way we are being kicked in the balls and slapped in the face at the same time?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The problem is we already know these things happen, all the time.

And we let them continue.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The fact is this news is on a Saturday and the WSJ is the only one reporting it on their front page. I have to hand it to the UK press they DO hold their peeps accountable over there. It wasnt to long ago one of their main parliamentary guys stepped down over a scandal. Our politicians are in MANY scandals and blinders and NONE of them are EVER held accountable by themselves, us, or the so called media.

new topics

join