It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Debuts New Super Laser

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This particular laser cant be fired into space or anywhere else, it is 192 lasers that are configured to hit a very small target in the center of a target chamber (the sphere). You can see the target chamber in the second link, and they are fired at a hohlraum that sits in the center of the sphere. This is the fuel inside the hohlraum

Here is the layout ofwhere the laser is stored

exterior of target chamber

[edit on 30-5-2009 by Echotebarknwhale]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Mirrors yes, they might work. But they have to be made of an alloy that is not instantly vaporised. So the laser should set to stun only.
Or a scattering and then relasering device should be up there.

Or, satellites, that's an idea. But hauling the whole building off while maintaining pinpoint accuracy ... well that's a challenge.

Seems like they're ready for some space war. O, trasnformation of existing nuke powers by zapping them? I don't know enough phĂ­sics if that is possible beyond scientific stuff in minute amounts.

Maybe a supersatellite is already under construction to forward the charges...

Or they got wind that the Goua'uld are on the move agaisnt the Earth already...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Focusing dozens of lasers on to a single point to create one really powerful freaking laser beam? If the idea can destroy Alderan then I don't see why it wouldn't work well for research into fusion power. Seems like a pretty cool concept to me. I'm anxious to see where the research takes us.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
This can be used as a weapon by taking out satellites, or other space based objects.

Maybe it could help deflect an asteroid were it on a space shuttle or stationed on the moon? Think, near instantaneous results would be seen by shooting a laser to deflect one, taking out a lot of guess work and allowing some tweaks. I say in the end this will be mostly used for energy research, the real weapon marvel that is going to change the battlefield that people should be paying attention to is "metal storm."

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
This is why the census bureau wants to gps your front door...cybersecurity will give out the gps coordinates once you are identified as a cyber terrorist...and..then ZAP!

[edit on 30-5-2009 by imitator]

Imitator,

You're the best imitator on the planet. You imitated my post before I could make it! I thought the exact same thing and was about to post it when I read your most definitive post to be headed by all on board at ATS.

It is obvious that similar technology is already space mounted and directed toward any target they choose. They need the front door GPS coordinates to determine which satellites to use depending upon the orientation of your house.

Few houses are round, most are somewhat rectangular. A front door location provides a general rectangle center point coordinate used to focus beams from 4 satellites, one aiming at each outer wall rather than risking using the wrong satellites which at suboptimal locations might aim instead at each corner of the house, giving poor quality targeting. Targeting accuracy is the name of the game. Otherwise why GPS a front door?

<< 1   >>

join