It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Debuts New Super Laser

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   

US Debuts New Super Laser

news.yahoo.com

They say it will burn as hot as a star and will be used for military projects and energy development.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This kindof stuff scares the hell out of me because of it could be used in evil ways just as easily as for the good of mankind. We have a track record and it is not all that great. So, will it be used for good or evil? Also I really want one of these. I wonder what this one cost us (US).

The Dude Abides.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Very cool
An interesting little bit of trivia:

The area over LL is restricted and even if we hav a patient onboard we have to go around thier airspace. On the backside of the research facility dug into the hills are scores of bunkers that contain god knows what.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
This is the kind of stuff I expect to see some mad scientist in front of making a monologue about how the world has shunned him...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I am for a laser with pin point accuracy.

Less collateral damage than some sort of conventional weapon.

Also hard to deny who did it, if only the US has this technology.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Maby they will put em on the heads of sharks.........

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Scuse me for being ignorant, but how precisely this laser will be used?

The article says it is great for scientific experiements. I have no doubt of that. However, the way people are talking about it on the forum here sounds as if they assumed it was a weapon.

If it WERE used as a weapon, how precisely would you use it?
And against whom?

From the West Coast of the US, you cannot take shots at other parts of the globe. Laser beams are straight. As far as I know they cannot be reflected from clouds either as some type of radio waves.

So it will come in handy only if the Goa'uld is attacking San Francisco and its immediate environs...

But are they?
Any insider information?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
One step closer to GI Joe style laser guns. Or maybe it's the Hammer of God! Imagine killing entire armies with a satellites. Wars will be a lot shorter.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Kokatsi

Right now the laser would be used for fusion research and it also part of the nuclear weapons stewardship program here in the US.

It is not an offensive or defensive weapon

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The article stated that it would be used in weaponry. I don't know how but you know they will figure out a way. Now maybe we can get rid of all of those pesky aliens and North Korean nukes at the same time.

The Dude Abides.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Put them on somethig mobile. Ships, planes, whatever for offense.

Also ground based would be good to shoot down incoming warheads for defense.

Originally posted by Kokatsi
Scuse me for being ignorant, but how precisely this laser will be used?

The article says it is great for scientific experiements. I have no doubt of that. However, the way people are talking about it on the forum here sounds as if they assumed it was a weapon.

If it WERE used as a weapon, how precisely would you use it?
And against whom?

From the West Coast of the US, you cannot take shots at other parts of the globe. Laser beams are straight. As far as I know they cannot be reflected from clouds either as some type of radio waves.

So it will come in handy only if the Goa'uld is attacking San Francisco and its immediate environs...

But are they?
Any insider information?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Considering the sheer size, weight and delicate nature of the device, it would take quite some time to develop a battlefield version. Not to mention the moon sized stack of Duracel's needed to power it.

The main thing which prevents the deployment of laser weaponry is that lasers travel in a straight line. If you are close enough for line-of-sight, then the enemy is close enough to put a conventional weapon up your backside.

The technology isn't there yet.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Have you seen pictures of this? its way to huge to put on even an aircraft carrier. Thats why the ABL uses a COIL laser and even then it took a 747-400F to even get it airborn. In a few decades sure but the NIF laser system is simply too big.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

I have a dumb question. Can lasers be reflected by mirrors and directed in this manner.? I have no experience with them other than a pocket pointed one.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
Considering the sheer size, weight and delicate nature of the device, it would take quite some time to develop a battlefield version. Not to mention the moon sized stack of Duracel's needed to power it.

Yes it is:

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This is why the census bureau wants to gps your front door...cybersecurity will give out the gps coordinates once you are identified as a cyber terrorist...and..then ZAP!

[edit on 30-5-2009 by imitator]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Nothing good will come from this because the bad guys have control of it. And as for the mirrors, like in the movie "spies like us" why not, should work.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
this is nothing but inertial confinement fusion(ICF) device

its old failed thing rebranded again

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This can be used as a weapon by taking out satellites, or other space based objects.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Yes its huge now but in do time it will be miniaturized. Just like a lot of techonologies. Look at the first A bomb. That mug was as big as a Volkswagen Beetle. Now they have suitcase versions.

Plus as we know, "they" like to first unveil the techonology but not tell anyone that they are already generations ahead of what is first being publicized.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join