It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Freest States

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Woot! Number 1 baby!!

I think last year NH was a little lower in the top 5. I doubt this means we are more free than we were last year but rather the other state are less free than they were last year.

Now to go buy some whiskey, fireworks (tax free) and fire my no-ban evil black rifle into the air while I scoff at state income taxes.

Oh, and I wont wear my seatbelt while driving my uninsured truck to the fireworks shop.

Freest is a sad term. It means not one us is actually free and that drives me nuts.

Forgot to mention I'll be openly carrying the whole time.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
Being a native of California for 56 years and having long hair I never encountered any real problems, other then all the bums from the 49 other states come there for all the handouts and nice weather, I recently moved to Arizona, here you are on camera, and will be followed by police, also my parents lived in Colorado, me and brother went to visit, we encountered police checkpoints on dirt roads, so as far as that goes in some aspects California would be more lax, thing that drove me out is the environmental laws and taxes on anything, it has turned into a tree hugger state

YEP! Exactly as you say.

I find California a place to be "free of mind" - - not so much Arizona.

Except I'm not going to put down environmental laws. However - if they were nation wide - businesses wouldn't be leaving CA to find cheaper areas. Its one reason the south has become a big business center.

I think most people when they talk about CA - they are talking about the southern half - - which has a large population - - and requires more people control.

In the 50 years I lived there - - I've been stopped maybe 5 times - - and let go with a warning every time.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert

Decades ago an outing to a National/State/regional Park here was less stressful, not the hordes of campers, hikers, etc.

I had local law enforcement check up on me at first, friendly but I'm sure they were running my plates to see if I was wanted
, and they in turn would let me know that the person encamped down the road apiece checked out ok and nothing to fear.

Ahhhhhhh Yes! I was born and raised in SOCA - - did a lot of camping. Became friendly with the "patrols" - - and that is exactly what they were looking for - vagrants. Once they got to know us - they never bothered us.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
WOW! Interesting article!

If I'm reading correctly - I'm in #4 (Arkansas).

Makes sense. It's very conservative and "traditonal" here, they're highly resistant to change, but it's a nice contrast to the more liberal areas I've been because it's much more stable. The landscape doesn't change overnight, and I kind of dig that.

(although it did take some time to convince the locals not to run me out of town when they smelled the Liberal North on me. Thank gods for my Southern Roots!)

[edit on 5/30/09 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I think most people when they talk about CA - they are talking about the southern half - - which has a large population - - and requires more people control.

Yes, the North-South split. Recently I saw on some program that, ideologically, CA should be an East-West split. interesting.
Anyway, SoCal growth/sprawl! was dependent on the car, so it is fitting that we have so many rules for autos and driving (although any idiot here can get a license, and cheaply, unlike I think Germany, for ex). Click it or ticket...jeez, my husband and I were just saying the other day how automatic it's become, the same as turning the key --or pressing the button--to start the car. Safety and car insurance have to be stressed with so many vehicles on the road.
Jeez, I was in another state that didn't seem to have any law for covering loads of rocks, etc, that could fly out and crack a windshield, which used to happen before CA enacted such a law!. Sure enough our car was hit by flying bits of rock the truck was carrying.

OTOH
my son was pissed when he got a ticket in Humboldt County for cycling down the wrong way on a one way street. Bikes rule where he lives

Here's my vote why CA is the freest state
I can buy rum and orange juice and the rest of my groceries in one store.

OTOH I can't buy fireworks and orange juice in the same store. Bummer
But I can go any weekend to my spot and set some off if I had some and no one says a thing. Maybe it's good we don't have fireworks for sale here, as we have enough fires already started accidentally in the dry brush.

"Free of mind" for sure.
Every thought that's been thought and every thought that's been expressed publicly has probably been thought and said here. CA has been a place where East meets West, North meets South. And every place in between.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I found it most enlightening to see that New York is the least free. They sure got that right.

Oh...wait a minute...I live in NY. Damn.

The only problem I see with that is that NY is actually two very distinct entities. There is NY City and, well, everything else. Yes, there is a NY that has nothing to do with the "Big Apple", which name by the way is pretty misleading as the bulk of apple production is centered on the shores of Lake Ontario, over 500 miles from "the city".
Northern NY contains the Adirondack Park which at 6.1 million acres (about the size of Vermont) can hold Yellowstone, Yosemite, The Grand Canyon, Glacier, and Great Smoky Mountains National Parks combined.

en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">en.wikipedia.org...

So as usual, "upstate" as we fondly refer to ourselves, pay once again for the evils of being associated with NYC. I have prayed for years that people would someday wake up and just split NYC off into its own, separate distinction, similar to Washington DC. Let 'em fend for themselves. The only product they produce is laws, taxes, and garbage that the rest of us have to pay for. They will say that they have to pay separate taxes just for living in NYC, and to that I respond, too bad. We can fend for ourselves in the great white North and no tears will be shed when you slowly sink beneath the waves of the Atlantic.

(man, guess I haven't embedded a link in awhile)

[edit on 30-5-2009 by zlots331]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert

Originally posted by Annee

Yes, the North-South split. Recently I saw on some program that, ideologically, CA should be an East-West split. interesting.

"Free of mind" for sure.
Every thought that's been thought and every thought that's been expressed publicly has probably been thought and said here. CA has been a place where East meets West, North meets South. And every place in between.

Loved your post. Finally someone who actually "knows" California. Personally I will take the "Free of Mind" over the criteria this report used.

Yes California East/West split. I posted that on the California split thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

New Hampshire sounds like a great place

It's hard to believe that there is still someplace where they actually allow people to still think for themselves

We don't have to pay taxes on fireworks either, because they're illegal here
We have to drive to Indiana to get them, but now they've taken to putting up checkpionts as the 4th approaches and if you get caught bringing them back they confiscate them along with a fine and sometimes impound your car

Do you have any big lakes up there ?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Wow I live in the least free state in the country.... isn't that just peachy...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

We have some decent lakes right in the middle of the state. Lake Winnipesaukee being like 300 square miles. Its a resort area of sorts for the poor bastatds in Mass. Further North we have a hearty mountain range. The Presidential range inclusive of Mt. Washington and to the East some decent coastline. It' sort of like Alaska-lite. Anything you'd ever want to do if you're the outdoors type is all a day trip away and you're free to do it.

Vis-a-vie the Free State Project I encourage all liberty minded folk to move on in. We don't have much by way of money or musical theater and don't want any of either.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Lakes, mountains, a coastline and Freedom
what more could anybody want
Makes me wanna take a road trip and check it out

We don't have much by way of money or musical theater and don't want any of either.

That's fine, niether do i

Thanks for replying

top topics

<< 1   >>

join