It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Alignments Cause 'Manhattanhenge' This Weekend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Solar Alignments Cause 'Manhattanhenge' This Weekend

For 15 minutes around sunset on two days this summer, the sun will set in exact alignment with the cross streets of Manhattan's street grid, making the city's towering buildings function something like a modern-day Stonehenge.

They call it Manhattanhenge.

The first Manhattanhenge opportunity comes this weekend: On Saturday (May 30) at 8:17 p.m. EDT the ball of the sun will be half above the horizon, half below if you look west down a major cross-street (34th Street and 42nd Street are good viewing locations). On Sunday, May 31, the entire solar sphere will be visible just above the horizon at 8:17 p.m. EDT.

The second opportunity comes later in the summer, with another half-sphere sunset on Sunday, July 12, at 8:25 p.m. EDT and a whole-sphere viewing on Saturday, July 11, at 8:25 p.m. EDT.

Sounds pretty cool. Is there anyone here on ATS that would be able to take pictures of it?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Interesting, I never knew about this. I have indeed been to Stonehenge and witnessed the sun phenomena there, but I have never witnessed "Manhattanhenge"

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Very wicked story! Starred and flagged!

I can't help but wonder, though, if like Stonehenge, this was built like that on purpose. I doubt it, but it could be very possible.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Ahhh, the 'sun worshippers' architectures coming into play..

Or not !!

Hope there will be posted on youtube, I want to see this..

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I have yet to be able to find any pictures from this year's Manhattanhenge, but I was able to use a Google Image search and I found this picture from 2007

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2faeb79a54b7.jpg[/atsimg]

Looks pretty cool.

Edit: Found two more

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fcc59b2cf3c9.jpg[/atsimg]

From 2008

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3853ed46c483.jpg[/atsimg]

From 2004

[edit on 31-5-2009 by riddle6]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I think one of the 'Three Amigos' was from Manhattan, but I forget which one. We likely have quite a few members from that area.

Several years ago I did some research into Stonehenge for a school paper. Stonehenge has quite a few interesting astronomical alignments, but in my reading I came across some skeptics who claimed that the alignments it had were flukes and not designed into the site by the builders, much as 'Manhattanhenge' is a fluke. It certainly goes to show how that theory is at least possible.

top topics

join