It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea could unleash land invasion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

North Korea could unleash land invasion

news.yahoo.com

North Korea's nuclear threats are grabbing the world's attention. But if the North were to strike South Korea today, it would probably first try to savage Seoul with the men and missiles of its huge conventional army.

The attack might well begin with artillery and missiles capable of hitting South Korea's capital with little or no warning. North Korea's vast cadre of commandos could try to infiltrate and cause chaos while the South tried to respond.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The article outlines the basic strategy that North Korea would take if inclined too.

I found the whole thing to be very spot on and an interesting read for anyone interested in this current stand off between North Korea and the world.

One point I found interesting was this:

Sharp said North Korea's army is the world's fourth largest with 1.2 million troops on active duty, backed by as many as 7 million reserves, with an estimated 1,700 military aircraft, 800 naval vessels and more than 13,000 artillery pieces. The numbers do not tell the entire story, though. Much of the North's equipment is old and decrepit, and it lacks the high-tech reconnaissance capabilities of the South.

An extremely large Army.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Yeah right. Just TRY it. Just TRY to break the DMZ. You won't be able to do so. Even if you do, you'll be crushed within days by air superiority and we'll bring you back to your third world cesspit.

Then invading may come later, but it would be deadly... more deadly than anything else. It would be Vietnam X10. In North Korea, there's a lot of tunnels and underground bases and the whole country is totally brainwashed. And that is if China don't support NK in arms and troops.

You would need the whole SK army, the 75K US troops in the area... and maybe you could achieve it... but I'm not that sure... 750.000 troops, top notch tanks and air superiority... against over 8 millions troops... MAYBE.

IMO he can't do it.

Yes he can kill a million SK civilians, but after that, NK is toast.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

South Korea is pretty crazy, you never know what they might do!

I for one am enjoying the play out of this conflict so far. Dont take that the wrong way. It's from a historians point of view.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I hate to be a voice of reason here.

I'm currently stationed in South Korea. I have been here for nearly 2 years. As of this point in time -

1) We are not on any kind of alert status whatsoever.
2) There have been no further aggressive actions taken toward either us or the south.
3) NK has not made any major troop movements towards the border.

The media is hyping this situation just like they did w/ the swine flu.

Take the public's attention away from O's failure to fix the economy like he said he would. Take the attention away from the billions of tax dollars that are wasted now.

We're not going to war any time in the foreseeable future.

It would have to be one hell of a surprise attack.

Cheers!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The one thing I keep wondering is if the NK military has heart and the will to fight. It is easy to fire missiles from a control panel, but I think they will find it hard to shoot at their own kind.

I say this because they haven't fought a major combat since the end of the Korean war. I assume it is a different generation with different views. I question whether they really believe in their governments propaganda.

IMO, heart and will to fight is something to ponder about.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Honestly I wish this situation would just snap...one way or the other.
I kinda hope when all is said and done NK is out of the 55+ year self induced hell

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder

I hate to be a voice of reason here.

I'm currently stationed in South Korea. I have been here for nearly 2 years. As of this point in time -

1) We are not on any kind of alert status whatsoever.
2) There have been no further aggressive actions taken toward either us or the south.

Thanks for inserting some well informed sanity into this thread. So many people here are just convinced that some catastrophic event is lurking around the corner that any situation is viewed as the match that will set the world on fire....

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

It would have to be one hell of a surprise attack.

It would be easy since you're not on alert.

Of course. Most of them are already at the border. They had a hard time feeding the soldiers when they were dispersed all around the country so a few years back they put them up all at the same place, at the border, in the mountains. So they wouldn't need much troop buildup.

And let's not forget the underground tunnels all around.

But yep, most of it is hype. NK can't attack Japan for real. They likely won't attack SK. So nothing will happen unless SK or the US start something.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Much gratitude to you good sir!!!

Thank you for doing what you do!!! I was reg. army for 4 years, I have a lot of respect sir!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Heh.

I said "we're" not on alert.

The South Korean army is - I believe.

As far as troops being near the border.

I can't go any further into this - but - we know where they are.

And it's not at the border.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I'm so glad we have you in this thread. A voice of reason is always appreciated.

That all said, I'm not afraid of Kim Jong Ill having nuclear weapons. I don't think the will use them. The only country Im really concerned about is Iran.. since they are just crazy and believe they are doing a favor to god by commiting violence.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
True about the surprise attack thing.

But we're pretty informed on the movements of their major combat divisions and thus far, they aren't amassing near any of the 3 main corridors of approach for a land based attack.

The most aggressive moves I know of were some naval moves - but nothing on the lines of a all-out assault.

Thanks for the kind remarks about the military thing - but don't let me make Tentickles out to seem like she was creating hype w/ this thread.

The fault lies solely w/ the media.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
North Korea needs to hurry with there land invasion.

The US has a large stockpile of cluster bombs they need to use before they are banned in 8 years.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
NK is just crying wolf and bluffing as usual. Yes they are going a little further than normal right now, but a lot of that has to do with they know they can push the Obama administration much further than most.

A lot of this is for Iran's comsumption as well. One can believe they are playing close attention to how the US and world responds to this as that will give them an idea of what to expect if/when they test the bomb.

Nothing (militarily) will come of this. Just lots of posturing right now and its mainly being done by N Koreans.

They are like a swarming bumbe bee. Of course you dont want to get stung so you keep and eye on it, but there is no need to rush our grab cans of Raid and just start spraying. Its just a bee.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
and America is in EVERY countries business...Because WHY?!
Come on America has become like the global gossip/bully...
For many reasons im sure most will agree with me when I say
its time to BUTT OUT and worry about ourselves...

WHo cares about these third world countries while our own is not even up to par with all this ACORN corruption and FED issues its all a BIG distraction from the more important issues our country is facing

WAKE UP

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by xratedbarbie

Wow.

It is inevitable that someone like you would eventually show up.

Yeah.... it's our fault the North decided to nullify the armistice of 1953 - oh - of which was our fault because they decided to invade and again - our fault they're testing nuclear weapons.

Do your homework.

We're only here because the ROK (Republic of Korea) - South Korea - so there is no confusion requests that we stay as part of the alliance.

There have been tons of base closures in the country and our forces are moving out of certain areas getting ready to pull back.

You people act like we're here just because "we can be." That, my dear - is not the case.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

You people act like we're here just because "we can be." That, my dear - is not the case.

Luder, I too must do my *homework* as you put it and I thank you and stand corrected.

I too have been guilty of accusing the USA of nosing in where they don’t belong.

I see sometimes that isn’t the case and I repeat, I’ll do my homework.

In the mean time there’re no words to adequately thank you for the job you’re doing.
You bring back the face of the soldiers to me, and, once again remind me it’s real men and women out there risking their lives, so the rest of us don’t have to.

With most humble thanks.
Stay well and stay safe,

gracie

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

North Korea's nuclear threats are grabbing the world's attention.

Oh really. Who have they threatened? Who have they invaded in the past to assume that they will conduct a land invasion now? Who are they going to invade, China, South Korea or maybe the US?

I don't know too much about North Korean strategic thinking but I know when we are being propagandised.

I do recall that North Korean did shut down its nuclear facilities in an agreement with the US in exchange for the US lifting its economic embargo and containment policy. Unfortunately the US reneged which makes me think that this 'crisis' was formulated by policy makers south of the Potomac.

[edit on 063131p://am3101 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join