It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother asks: 'Do you have a flush toilet?'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

What's with the labels, man? (SHEEP, DIS-INFO AGENT).

I swear - I respect your opinion and your reasons for your perspective, I just don't personally see things the same way. I don't understand the mentality. I never have, I never will. I have friends with the same perspective as you, but I still don't "get it".

In response to your question pertaining to my direct experience with welfare situations....the past 12 years or so, due to a wealth of personal circumstances I won't get into here.

Back to the point:

It's the sense of entitlement I don't understand. The "free ride" mentality.

People DEMAND the Government SERVE them.

They COMPLAIN when the Government doesn't do what they feel need to be done in the manner or timeframe they feel it should be done.

They ATTACK people who work for the government or support the institution because this, that or the other.

How many of us here have been in a crappy job where we got so stressed out by being treated like lesser beings and "slave labor" that we eventually lost ALL RESPECT for our fellow men and women?

It's ridiculous. It's unrealistic. They are human beings as well doing the best they can with the information GIVEN THEM.

I've said more than I should have in my past posts, when what I should have said was simply THIS:

If you don't wish to answer the census, please just give those poor SOB's a break and tell them nicely you choose not to participate.

WE DON'T HAVE TO REACT LIKE ANIMALS!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

If everyone thought as you do, what would that make us?

One big heard either way. I guess you feel your heard is the right choice?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
The penalties for giving false statements is even worse. Don't break the law. Instead, start asking your attorneys about the constitutionality of this.

Even getting a lawyer to dig into how constitutional this is, and hoping to get any kind of result seems kind of optimistic. Judges tend to take a dim view of citizens "fluffing their feathers up" in cases like this. They view it (unfortunately) as wasting court time.

If everybody could decide as as a single massive group, not to put up with this kind of thing, then it might be worth protesting. As it is now, we're all just risking potential fines. Having our garbage analyzed by the government. Our facebooks visited. Emails read. Terror and no fly lists. And all of the other joyful things, governments use to keep down problem citizens.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I'm not asking people to think as I do, I'm asking people to, for once, think for themselves.

The entire reason that we have become what we are today is simply BECAUSE government has gotten involved in every aspect whether they felt we NEEDED them to solve every one of our problems, or whether they are simply trying to get a penny or two by pretending to help.

If government as a whole wouldn't have decided to solve problems by taking easy ways out instead of fixing the REAL problems, we wouldn't be in the situation where we had to constantly figure out where we stand on trusting the government. If they had just stayed out of personal matters, and worried about the one thing they are supposed to (our protection within and from afar) we wouldn't have the screwed up country we have today.

For instance the entire creation of the welfare system and government handouts, was probably the biggest mistake they ever made. Instead of focusing on rehabilatation of a failing job market, and instead of keeping a close watch on the monster they created, they have created a system where people get free rides and most who actually need help get nothing.

We as a society have come so entwined with the belief that we NEED government but the truth be told, government NEEDS us. Without us they are nothing. We are the ones that determine the power and hold they have on us.

You take something like this census where they go against basic rights of privacy, without any permissions and with risks of penalties for not going along with it, then they have us in the palm of their hand, where they have the power.

What some people fail to realize is that when a government takes your privacy, they take your life. They take your thoughts, your ideas, your hopes, yours goals, your family, your careers - all of that - they can do whatever they want with that. See: "1984" by George Orwell.

I'm not calling this the end of the world, but I can truthfully say that this is how it begins.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Our we could just eat their livers with a little fava beans and a nice chianti. No seriously about the answering the door in your underwear idea. I did that once and it turned out the saleman was gay and came by every day for a week after that. I finally asked a gay co-worker to come over and he answered the door for me and I haven't seen the saleman since. Match maker match maker make me a match find me a find catch me a catch. Just answer the d@mn questions will ya. I don't want to end up paying more for services. And thats what will happen. I mean I'm as paranoid as the next guy but I don't want my paranoia to cost anyone extra money.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

If someone thinks differant then you do why throw the sheeple label at them?

Maybe they feel the government isn't this big bad boogeyman as you do. That isn't such a bad thing. The government isn't the problem, its the people in the government.

People keep saying that sheeple don't think for themselves when their way of thinking is differant than the ones who are throwing out that stupid term.

I'm tired of people like you who call others sheeple because their view is differant from yours. Then just like you, when called out on it, they say that they just want them to think for themselves.

Thats a cop out.

You and others who use this term don't like it when people think differantly than you do.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I can summarize your argument by using the following:

"The Nazi party was not bad, it was just the Nazi's in it."

The point is, as a generalization government has done MUCH MORE HARM than any good it has done. Any worthwhile GOOD acts in the history of this world have been done by civilians and/or civil servants.

If you believe the government to be a heralding savior than, yes, you are a sheeple. They hold they staff and you are believing exactly what they want you to believe.

Sounds like a sheeple to me.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I don't know your age, however, I've found -- to my delight -- that after crossing 50 I am able to use nudity as a weapon. One, I really don't have a shread of modesty about such things, and two, it's really off-putting to people who want to intrude upon your humble abode.

Now, not to say I prance out in the front yard naked; I might caution a roving group first, politely, that I'm not interested in whatever they're selling. If that is unsuccessful, however.........

To your amazingly eclectic person-repulsing outfit, I'd suggest not including the firearm for this reason: Rather than scare someone away, sometimes it's better and more enduring to "freak" them away. To this end, I suggest you add one of those furry hats with flaps -- you know, the kind wherein the flaps can be tied up on top of the hat. Leave the flaps down and untied. As an extra bonus, one can insert a candied cherry in their navel.

To the OP -- I think this kind of census should be cenSURED. It's intrusive, and I can't remember any guarantee signed by anyone of power that the confidentiality of the data is kept secure, not that they would be believed. It seems unconstitutional, along the lines of illegal search and seizure -- of data and personal information.

Glad I live in a small place where nudity in ones own home and own property is not yet considered assault.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Fair enough statement.

But in the same respect - the government (as I undestand it) is merely there to provide the framework and base foundation of operations that ALLOW THE POPULACE ITSELF to make said changes, a difference in their communities, etc...

Wouldn't it be accurate to blame those members of said populace who are more interested in keeping up with the Jonses over trivial things like cars, houses, income brackets, etc...yet never contribute time or money to the less fortunate...than it would to attack a system trying to take care of not only that selfish class but also the people that are generally overlooked by the majority of the population?

I mean, face it - people have shown time immemorial that unless push comes to shove, they're going to pursue their own interests first.

Not a lot of people these days have much compassion for those in need, especially in our national boundaries - a predominant mentality being along the lines of: "they're lazy and it's their own fault. I picked myself up by my own bootstraps, they should to".

While these are valid perspective in and of themselves - they are not lways applicable in some socio-economic and/or special case scenarios.

The issue of the mental health questions, as I see it, are to help gain an understanding of a demogrphic that may not be able to go about the usual social help programs that are available to the rest of us.

Maybe they're social phobics, who can't leave the house for one reason or another - even to get the simplest things nessecary for life.

Maybe the situation within the household is such that the caregiver can't leave their charge for even a moment, much less take them out in public.

Maybe the household is so worried about your "american-nazi agenda" that even though the could greatly benefit from assistance, they refuse to do so out of fear....or pride.

There are so many variables at work that it's unrealistic to think that anything but the census could gain information on that level.

_________

Honestly, I understand your concern about the misuse of such information.

But for the life of me, I simply can't see our great nation and it's government going the same direction as Hitler and Himmlers brutal "final solution" on good people simply because they are going through certain life difficulties beyond their control.

We are Americans. There are a LOT OF US who have a long and proud history of beating the putukus out of people who pick on the innocent and weak.

If anything like what you fear were to go down, you can bet your buns there would be a public backlash the likes of which none has ever seen...ad I'm not talking stopping at letters to the editor and an angry array of picket signs and little action.

And I'm pretty sure those in power damn well know it.

(*edit - clarity)

[edit on 5/31/09 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Absolutely bloody brilliant.

My husband has mentioned wanting to try that aversion tactic on occassion himself. Left to his own devices....I'm sure he would.

I love him dearly, but...oh god - the horror!

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
As I mentioned in another Census thread, I ran the operations in 1990 for a major portion of the Northeast. These questions were on the survey then too. As intrusive as the questions may seem to be there actually is a reason for them. First, no one can see your answers for 72 years. The data is aggregated to the 'block' level at its most granular and public access to data is restricted to 'block-group' and above (about 250-400 housing units).

Why ask these questions? It provides important insight into changing quality of life across the country. This data is used in the public sector to determine what kinds of resources are needed and where they should be focused. Chnges over time yield significant population and lifestyle trend information. The private sector uses this data as well.

An example, cars in the household. By looking at cars per household, household density and distances to commercial sectors specific areas can be prioritized for public transportation investment. Asking prices for homes, viewed over subsequent Censuses (Censii?) trends population shifts in the country. And on, and on...

I am a huge critic of the government. My posts make that abundantly clear. But from my personal, first-hand experience running the Census as well as my professional life using the data, it is a most worthwhile endeavor. I have worked in Europe where this kind of data is not collected and will tell you from first-hand experience that public planning suffers as a result.

Believe what you will but this is nothing new. It has gone on for decades and to my knowledge there hasn't been any untoward use of the data.

And seriously, WorldNutDaily as a source?? Please...

[edit on 30-5-2009 by jtma508]

This was very interesting information to learn. Thank you for posting this; it makes a lot of sense. The living situation in my neighborhood and even in my home has changed drastically just in the past year and moreso from the last time the census was taken.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

It's particulary effective if it's colder than hell outside. One has to be able to portray that they are unaffected by the cold.
Oh, go ahead, turn him loose. Worst case is, you get a fabulous laugh that you both enjoy for years.

Appreciate the point of view you bring to this discussion. You remind me that the messengers are not the problem. Thank you. When the messenger carries a sermon and judgement, perhaps I am a little more willing to shock them.

News travels fast on this little rock. I think pretty much everyone is wary of approaching our door.

We haven't been subject to a census in 10 years. Coincidence?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus

We haven't been subject to a census in 10 years. Coincidence?

LOL!

KINDA!
United States Census

Cliff note version (from source):

The United States Census is a decennial census mandated by the United States Constitution. The population is enumerated every 10 years and the results are used to allocate Congressional seats (congressional apportionment), electoral votes, and government program funding.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join