It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US violated Geneva Conventions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

US violated Geneva Conventions

rawstory.com

The head of the US Central Command, General David Petraeus, said Friday that the US had violated the Geneva Conventions in a stunning admission from President Bush’s onetime top general in Iraq that the US may have violated international law.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Interesting report but I highly doubt that much will come from this .
The U.S is currently at war on 2 fronts , is troubled by an economical crises , faces a real probability of fighting on 2 , perhaps 3 more fronts and is also facing government regulations that infringe on peoples rights . The public simply can not deal with to much more , just imagine if an ex president was brought up on charges and brought before a world government .

But .... will stories such as this , or the issue of torture , be effected at all in future policy ? I doubt that too but who knows ?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Whilst not condoning it, it's always a healthy sign when anyone or any organisation owns up to making mistakes.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Our General just admitted that the USA violated the geneva convention treaty.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

United States Constitution, article VI, paragraph 2

It's amazing that talking heads in government, empty suits if you will, still see no reason to prosecute these people that smeared our countries good name.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Do you think anything will come of this report ?

For some reason I don't think much will change .

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Hmmm. Perhaps he is planning a run for President in 2012... He certainly could be a contender if he continues to espouse the truth and do the right thing.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
So the terrorist obey the Geneva Convention right?
Fight fire with fire, kill em all...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

The head of the US Central Command, General David Petraeus, said Friday that the US had violated the Geneva Conventions in a stunning admission from President Bush’s onetime top general in Iraq that [bold]the US may have violated international law.[/bold]

Wait, I'm confused. May have? It is obvious they did, tourture isn't allowed in the Geneva Convention.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Hilter killed himself but majority of the Nazi administration were tried (Nuremberg). So why should the Bush administration be any different? They need to be put on trial. You can't move forward until you heal the past. Where is the justice?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTallRedOne83
So the terrorist obey the Geneva Convention right?
Fight fire with fire, kill em all...

Well then...when American values are reduced to those set by the bad guys...then the bad guys have won.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Using torture is not the only breach of the Geneva Conventions, how about use of mercenaries? Or targeting civilians? How about destruction of hospitals? Or that old chestnut invading a sovereign country for no reason? Use of Depleted Uranium and Phosphorus munitions? The list goes on and on and on.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I hope something changes. I even voted for Democrats in 2006 just to get Bush impeached. That was the beginning of my awakening, when Democrats won by a landslide and then they all backed off their promise to impeach.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

Yet who cares. Were the terrorists signers of the Geneva convention? If they didn't sign then why should we be bound? When you are confronted with force you meet it with greater force and determination, not this wimpy ass attitude that plays to our enemy. The founding fathers were considered criminals for their methods of guerrilla warfare and the use of rifled barrels, the English called them widow makers. Maybe we should go back and hold court to prosecute George Washington and others through history that did what it took to win the battles and wars. I love how high and mighty all you pansy asses get about this. All it really is is hatred for Bush and self loathing because we have it good. I love all this talk about illegal wars and rules of wars, how the hell can you have rules for war? I say F$$k the made up rules and lets kill our enemies before they kill us.

I still don't understand why anyone gives a sh$t.

Anyways if we prosecute our former administration do we start with the whole of Congress because they knew and allowed it? Then do we move on and take out the rest of the feds? Do we let Pelosi and company set up their "truth commission", which of course will be appointed by Pelosi who is as dirty as the rest? Do we let the feds prosecute themselves for crimes they allowed? Do we then go after all the civilians that knew and kept their mouths shut, where should we stop?

Or do we get the 50 Governors to dissolve the feds so that a new fed can be set up to prosecute the old? If your going to do it I say go all the way. Those FEMA camps are just waiting to be used!!!

If all you Bush haters want to just go after Bush and Cheney then all you are doing is setting up a court that will make a mockery of our country.

Oh and for all you idiots that keep bringing up the Nazis. If you didn't notice Hitler lost the war. We haven't lost yet! so quit acting like losers!!! and lets go kick some ass!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by clcreek
Oh and for all you idiots that keep bringing up the Nazis. If you didn't notice Hitler lost the war. We haven't lost yet! so quit acting like losers!!! and lets go kick some ass!

I notice Rummy and his ilk are avoiding Spain these days...ya don't have to lose the war to be held to account.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Oh but you have lost clcreek, lost all respect around the world and put your nation in grave danger. Bullies always get their comeuppance. America is in the process of pulling down their trousers and adopting the position.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SOXMIS
Oh but you have lost clcreek, lost all respect around the world and put your nation in grave danger. Bullies always get their comeuppance. America is in the process of pulling down their trousers and adopting the position.

because we have an apologetic pansy in office that wants to pull his pants down...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Politicians are puppets, when you wake up to that fact maybe you'll see things with a little more clarity.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SOXMIS
Politicians are puppets, when you wake up to that fact maybe you'll see things with a little more clarity.

That is no excuse for being weak...

So then who do you think is pulling the strings?

new topics

top topics

join