It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Subliminal Advertising Works

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

How Subliminal Advertising Works

www.parade.com

Subliminal advertising--hidden messages embedded in ads--is considered a deceptive business practice by the Federal Trade Commission. Yet a legal kind of "subliminal" persuasion happens every day. Shoppers are regularly encouraged to buy by appeals to their senses or unconscious assumptions. I recently carried out a series of research experiments to uncover the ways advertisers burrow beneath our rational minds to get us to pull out our wallets. Here are five techniques used to mess with our minds that you should know about.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I thought i should open this thread on the off chance that perhaps even one or two or perhaps more could begin to realize how important this is and methods that are used in our daily lives. Methods that you as an individual can verify by your self in your own home town or city without any expensive equipment by the simple method of observing.

This may be obvious to some and not so obvious to others. You could also try several methods on your friends and see how this actually works. The mind is yet to be explored but we have explored the reactions to certairn external stimulations.

I will provide two videos for now, the first being a simple test you can partake in and the second being an example onto people who are actively engaged in Subliminal messaging.
Fell free to post your responses, look forward to hearing from you all.

www.parade.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Test number 1

Test on live subjects

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Glad you are bringing this up. We need the info to be awake.
In another thread on acetaminophen and liver damage, I pointed out how I remember Tylenol commercials targeting woman. The commercials showed a hospital setting (authority on the effectiveness and safety of the drug) and new mothers (who would do anything wrong to a new mother?). It said nothing about the mother imbibing wine, beer, or a martini and causing liver damage. Or as more products with the drug as an ingredient came on the market, nothing was mentioned about cumulative effects of the overworked mother trying to get sleep by taking a sleep inducer or symptom reliever.

Commercials with sick children implied what an unfit parent you would be if you couldn't administer the drug to your own flesh and blood.

Since we are no longer seen as citizens but as "consumers", we need to understand how advertising works in politics. We are not patients but consumers of health care. Are we religious faithful or merely consumers of religion? No matter, you better be aware of the truth of advertising, so you can be set free.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I guessed carrot :-( ....haha it is pretty cool how these things work. except that those using them are using them for the wrong reasons.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Thanks, tristar. I have been aware of subliminal advertising for several decades. Still, that last vid, with the ad dudes. Brilliant!

I was amazed at how well that worked.

Gotta watch what ya watch, eh?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
i picked apple i swear i couldnt think of anything and didnt realize they meant a vegetable lol

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I do hope you enjoyed the test and the example of the test on live subjects who are responsible for such methods.

I do look forward into reading the results from all members and non members.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Words - the power of language, as a tool
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Sad to say did not even notice that you had posted such an thread :-( , although i did feel how you must have felt when no one replied to it, as your last post does shed clarity in more way than one.

"ps. See what too much word manipulation causes, in this post:"

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I guessed celery. Not too far off. About the second link? Is that the anti-Christ?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Um, No

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I guessed celery. Not too far off. About the second link? Is that the anti-Christ?

rofl

reply to post by tristar

just thought it I'd share, thought it was cool we were on the same trail

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
i said green pepper to test #1, guess im not implantable..

second line..

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreaken1993
i picked apple i swear i couldnt think of anything and didnt realize they meant a vegetable lol

LOL! I picked zucchini! Almost changed my mind and went with tomato, but stuck with my first thought.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Awesome post, thanks! I picked a radish. Wonder how that happened

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Another small insight to help you along in understanding several methods used.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Yeah, I think it's ghastly that big corps can still get away with the subliminals, despite its being illegal.

Thanks for this latest example of what they do to us.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Great Thread, tristar and a topic that I feel strongly about. The chasm of difference between those who are educated and understand this level of manipulation and those who are intended to merely react to it is currently huge and only getting wider...

We need to start educating ourselves as Madison avenue spends Billions of Dollars researching how better to create a basic general message that will evoke a personal response and subsequent desired action from each individual to interact with it...

A few threads I have done on the topic...

Proof That The Advertising Industry Is A Form Of Mind Control Part 2

A look at the level of sophistication "Neuro-Marketers" have. Very impressive with a glimpse at their study regarding the advertisements that people are exposed to (and possibly made to react to) when 'fast fowarding' through the commericials of their Tivo. An oppurtunity for Subliminals...

A post where I show the physoilogical reasons Subliminals can and do have effect.

A few Studies that empirically prove Subliminals can and do have effect.

Great topic, in my opinion...and a topic that needs to be studied and discussed by the general population.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I remember a while back, when AT&T wireless was launching their GSM network they had a commercial featuring a sheep herder talking on his mobile phone while the "sheep" were following along.

That of course is probably more overliminal than subliminal depending on one's ability to recognize such imagery.

The British do it so much better, heck half the time I don't even know what they're advertising.

Now that's subliminal!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join