It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists Secretly Believe In God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
honestly, i've lost count of the amount of times that i have been told by a christian that i do believe in god but i'm choosing to reject him.
this is one of the most stupid catchphrases amongst religious people. If i believed in something i certainly wouldn't reject it, and i think i speak for most people there.
true, if i believed in the biblical god then i would reject him as lovng or just but i wouldn't reject his existence.
i'm not an atheist and im not a christian, nor am i suggesting that all christians are like this as that is thankfully not the case.
i consider this to be one of the things that turns people away from christianity the most. (with the exception of the disgusting things in the bible)
i seriously have a problem with christians telling atheists and agnostics that they do believe in God when they bloody dont.
anyone else had this?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I've never even had anyone adequately define what this "God" is I'm supposed to believe in, so it's doubtful that I do. How can I believe in something that even the people who believe in it don't know what they're even talking about?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
There is a gray area but first you would have to define what believing in God is. I don't believe in the monotheistic god that has wandered around on earth.

We are genetically programmed so the actual encoder could be called God for all I know but as for creation, that is a biological program. We are all creators.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SlayerRock

this is one of the most stupid catchphrases amongst religious people....
i seriously have a problem with christians telling atheists and agnostics that they do believe in God when they bloody dont. anyone else had this?

And I thought I had issues with organized religion and/or the Bible...

How 'bout this..?

Stop letting people live in your head without paying rent...if you truly despise that ideology, ignore it.

But, I have a feeling that if there was an Ignore button here specifically for Religious posts (wow, what an idea...), you wouldn't use it...you like the drama, huh..?

BTW - a little more effort and diligence would be appreciated when creating a thread that may represent those who are like-minded...just a thought.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Organized religion is nothing but an opiate for the masses.

Karl Marx

Well i am proud to declare myself an atheist; in fact i believe in polytheism where we are all Gods unto ourselves.

Religious people are a strange bunch. They are very tenacious to bombast their beliefs on you until you 'see the light', little realising that they have no substance to their belief system.

I decided there was no God after reading the first page of the bible, when God created the Earth and Heavens and said let there be light. The sun is 4.57 billion years old and the Earth is 4.54 billion years old, so how can He have created light AFTER Earth's creation.

I'll let Ricky Gervais explain it best. His routine is brilliant...

Edit: Added quote

[edit on 29-5-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

look im gonna try really hard to stay calm as i did nothing to deserve this unprovoked attack. why the hell would i like it when christians say that to me? i like being left alone but christians neve do that.
the poiint of this thread is to point out how stupid and arrogant some religious people are.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlayerRock
reply to post by chapter29

...the point of this thread is to point out how stupid and arrogant some religious people are.

You don't need a thread to realise that

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
OP -

Yep. Been there. It's inevitable, really. Myself, I try to steer clear of religious conversations whenever I can, but I do get cornered sometimes.

I've always thought that when people really start digging at me for being atheist -especially people who know me, they're really questioning their own beliefs. It's like they're somehow trying to work out how someone could lead a happy, productive life within the boundaries of morality and the law and not be religious.

Yes, it's mildly frustrating when people do that, or worse still pull out that Pascal's Wager chestnut, but there's nothing you can do. Let 'em have their fun. They'll work it out eventually.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12
There is a gray area but first you would have to define what believing in God is. I don't believe in the monotheistic god that has wandered around on earth.

We are genetically programmed so the actual encoder could be called God for all I know but as for creation, that is a biological program. We are all creators.

If I could give you a hundred stars for this I would!

Yeah, Ea is "God" along with the Nin-Hur-Sag Orion princess, who worked together to create our genetics.

But do I worship them? No. Thank them, maybe, and appreciate their art, but not worship.

We are all "God" creating Now between us. We co-create this Universe.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I think we (we as in the human race) don't know enough yet to say whether or not there is a god. I would like to think that there is another plane of existence when we leave this one. When I look at people like Gacey, Hitler, and their ilk, I want to believe that there is an Evil, but again, I don't know. I'm a lapsed catholic, but I keep faith every time I look at my wife or my kids.
Is there evidence, dunno.
But for me, just me, I'm going to keep the faith. Some faith. ANY faith.

A joke. . .
Jesus comes back, and the Vatican is scrambling, Bishops running everywhere, Priests scrambling. . .they all finally end up at the foot of the Pope.
They all say, "Holy Father what are we to do?"
The Pope thinks, and thinks, and thinks.
He finally leans over, and in a small voice says, "Look busy."

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The question we really need to ask is do professed believers really practice their beliefs ?

If they led by example there would be no debate would there ?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'm certain that I do not believe in god. I want to believe in something, but I have not found anything that makes sense to me. I need more than blind faith and books written by humans.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SlayerRock

Yeah, I've heard this. It's silly. The best is from teenage girls who don't know any better. I've explained to them why they and their beliefs are silly using their own supposed texts.

If you're going to confront an agnostic, you better make sure that they haven't actually read the holy babble, because if they have.. then you know why they are an atheist/agnostic.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I don't believe in faith.. But I don't deny God exists. But how could I know?! I've never met God, never seen him, never heard him.. So I can't really believe in something that I can't see.

I'd be glad to live beyond my body, but just believing I will won't really change anything if there is no after life.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
How does one define trolling?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'd like to think of myself as a bit of a "truther" in this. I'm not a christian etc. and I don't believe in deities. But I am open to logical and proven data that supports any claim. I'm not saying that the first faith to provide proof gets my soul, but I'm hopeful that someday something will make sense to me.

So far, the closest I've found was a description of a 'force that unites the entire universe'. This force is beyond the comprehension of man (in a similar way that the distance between stars is so incredible that we have no real ability to really compare to anything we know). We just couldn't wrap our tiny little brains around it. It certainly cannot be personified, and it definitely didn't write ANY books. One day I may find myself beginning to understand it - perhaps on a another vibration (another story). Perhaps not.

No buildings could ever be built in it's name (it doesn't have one), and it cannot be worshipped. Nice, huh. If that's "God", great. It would not be the Christian god, or the Islamic god, or any of the other gods that man has put a name/face/personality to.

I think that faith is a terrific thing, and I do have more than a passing respect for those who truly believe in something if it completes their life. I have zero respect for the establishments that have grown around religions, and the spin that has been put on things.

Mythology is certainly a powerful tool for telling allegorical stories, but shouldn't been seen as truth.

I'd like to know the truth. Sadly, nobody has come close. Perhaps I'll never truly understand. I'll keep looking and listening, but somebody needs to come up with something better than a Jewish carpenter being my salvation because he said some nice things.

As for the spoutings of the pious, I let it roll off. I listen to their stories, but there's always something wrong that doesn't make any sense. The stories always start off nice, but then they'll start getting a bit silly an including magic tricks.
I've also been told that I secretly believe in their god/s. It's quite funny really.

I think it says more about them than it does about me. Like they need to revalidate their own feelings by projecting. Like they feel a little nagging doubt in the back of their mind. Like, perhaps, the stories they believe are a bit far fetched.

If you were to translate the books (the main ones) into everyday language rather than the "behold", "look ye not" and "lo" stuff (very theatrical, but fantastic for keeping an illiterate audience rapt), they're pretty mundane on the whole. If you remove all the magic and illogical stuff, they are pretty boring. May as well read some nice archeological text books. Nice sentiments, but so has Aesop's fables.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety

Organized religion is nothing but an opiate for the masses.

Karl Marx

Religious people are a strange bunch. They are very tenacious to bombast their beliefs on you until you 'see the light', little realising that they have no substance to their belief system.

I decided there was no God after reading the first page of the bible, when God created the Earth and Heavens and said let there be light. The sun is 4.57 billion years old and the Earth is 4.54 billion years old, so how can He have created light AFTER Earth's creation.

Hi/
I guess it's your choice in decision making, but let's see what is written in the Bible.
"And God said, let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness... "(Gen. 1:3-5).

It may seem strange that light could appear and that day and night could follow one another from the first day of creation when the sun and other heavenly luminaries did not yet exist.
This gave an excuse for the atheists of the eighteenth century (Voltaire, the encyclopedists and others) to mock the Holy Bible.
These poor men did not suspect that their ignorant mockery would turn back against them.
Light, by its nature, is entirely independent of the sun (fire, electricity). Light, but not all of it, was concentrated in the heavenly luminaries only later, at the will of God.

read more

For the original Poster....
Hi Badgered1/

but I'm hopeful that someday something will make sense to me.

Keep being hopeful and don't let other people influence the way you think.

I think that faith is a terrific thing, and I do have more than a passing respect for those who truly believe in something if it completes their life.

And as for Faith....Respect and remain hopeful!
Faith, Hope and Love.
Dont ever allow yourself to be influenced by what looks good on the outside....practise goodness in all things...to your best abilities.

Mythology is certainly a powerful tool for telling allegorical stories, but shouldn't been seen as truth.

No it shouldn't be seen as truth, but it has to have come from somewhere.

I wish you well in finding what it is, your soul is searching for.

helen.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Ha!!!!! That's like deciding that ice cream must be bad because I read a bad review about it, written by a lactose intolerant.

I would never make a huge decision such as that because of an abstraction.

Wow!!! I still luv ya, but wow!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This was on ripley's believe it or not a while ago. This is actually an excerpt from the episode.

Tell me if this is possible why wouldn't god be?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I've actually never been told that I secretly believe in God. Kind of funny.

Probably because they know deep down that I don't, wouldn't, and that I'm not a good person to debate religion with anyway.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join