It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six discoveries that science can't explain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Exoviewer

i already knew about these discoveries, and if i was seeing them for the first, time, i wouldnt find this very funny, and would probably think that most of it was made up, and be put off the subject.

also it makes a mokery out of the items.

The writing style is terrible, and they cant seem to go three sentances without having to have a deep think, so add loads of swearing.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
You just said you already knew of them so there are other sources on same subject matter therefor if I went to that site and hadnt seen them before, I would look for other sources on that same material, find it and read further into it. No harm no foul. If it educates then its all good to me.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by Exoviewer

i already knew about these discoveries, and if i was seeing them for the first, time, i wouldnt find this very funny, and would probably think that most of it was made up, and be put off the subject.

also it makes a mokery out of the items.

The writing style is terrible, and they cant seem to go three sentances without having to have a deep think, so add loads of swearing.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by MR BOB]

I read this site daily at work.
It's actually a pretty good site, and the writings aren't supposed to be works of art. They're just observations made funny.
And yes, they do joke about how they get their material from google and google image search. So?
They even joke about their own spelling and grammar errors.

I love the articles they do on historical topics, they're great.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Its a comedy website mate and some of the articles are well written and put together, you need to lighten up
. The article was put together to be educational and also entertaining and it achieved both in my opinion.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

You are probably right in the first thing you pointed at, but why can`t he swear?. Don´t say you believe in the stupid Bible and all of it`s threats?
Pitiful.....

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Pretty badly written, with no real insight into anyof the discovories. seems to me that he has just looked up some ooparts, took a few notes from someof the millions of webpages, and added loads of swearing.

Did you just tell somebody that their post was badly written?

Anyhow, I've (somewhat) researched most of these topics and agree that they are strange. However, just as other posters have mentioned, I haven't heard of the #1 story. I shall do some searching and return if I find anything worth noting. Starred.

Cheers,

Strype

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Strype

ooh, sorry if i am more adept to writing thing on actual paper.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

reply to post by Strype

ooh, sorry if i am more adept to writing thing on actual paper.

likely excuse, but still doesn't explain your apparent lack of humor. Or is it that you usually have to put down every non pedantic writing in an effort to feel somehow superior? I'm sure someone who is supposedly as well read as you would also know that there are things called satire and humor publications in circulation.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This site attracts people of all emotional states and some people are just plain morose and jaded. When you feel morose and jaded, you coat everything you experience in your life with that emotional perspective. If your feeling like crap then everything in your life is crap. Feeling good and all is good.
We all just need to lighten up and stop being such prudes. Not us here on this site, but everyone in general. Everything has become so PC over the last 20 years. What ever happened to the sixeties.
And I miss fire cracker night

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Pretty badly written, with no real insight into anyof the discovories. seems to me that he has just looked up some ooparts, took a few notes from someof the millions of webpages, and added loads of swearing.

Well someone has no sense of humor

but really, I love Cracked.

Good find, S&F

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I enjoy their site for the most part, but they pretty much lifted most of those from OOPART sites without looking at 'em.
The Antikythera mechanism isn't surprising, really. It's complexity cast it in doubt for a time, but seriously, with all of the other mechanics that Rome had, a primitive calculator isn't to far out.

The Baijong pipes are natural formations, they have similar ones out in the Navajo desert.

The Baghdad batteries just weren't batteries. The people who decided to test them found initially they wouldn't work, so redesigned them.

These have all been beaten to death on ATS before.
Now they have risen as zombies, and they are after your RAM.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
whether or not the articles are written in a way that some people object to is not the main point here. I found the article quite light hearted and has made me go out and look further into a few things I had never heard of before.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Then thats brings it all together because thats all that matters. It made you curious enough to look further. Profanity or no profanity. It served its purpose.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I remember hearing about the 'bloop', maybe even here on ATS. But besides that, I love the writers comedic approach, his sarcasm made me want to read the entire thing word by word (which I did). Seriously, it is nice to read an article like this, instead of always reading the blatant ones we get from almost every other website. His style makes me remember the information instead of just forgetting it 30 seconds later.

-Jimmy-

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I think that text in the first story kind of looked like some kind of song chart.
Maybe it is music.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by 281011
I searched for this article on here but couldn't see it so apologies if it has already "done the rounds"

I thought this was a very interesting article with some items I have never heard of before. The number one seems a bit stupid, but the others are very intriguing.

www.cracked.com...

[edit on 29-5-2009 by 281011]

nice avatar.. we are similar

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Some say they are a hoax. We must politely remind those people that you can't wipe your ass in China without the government knowing, let alone set up a #ing iron forge and start burying pipes in the ground for the purpose of confusing passers-by.

Funniest quote from the article lmao!

[edit on 30-5-2009 by Ketzer22]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 281011

Interesting video, makes me wonder why this technology died out. If it was continued at the same pace who knows what kind of civilisation we'd be in now!

This is why.

Well... partially. Part of it was also that the scientific method wasn't really discovered until Ibn Al-Haytham and Galileo.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
That was good for a laugh! Thanks for posting the link.

The Baghdad batteries just weren't batteries. The people who decided to test them found initially they wouldn't work, so redesigned them.

en.wikipedia.org...

The "re-design" I've seen bandied about is often the replacement of the long-ago vanished bitumen seal. Being that it was organic it could hardly be expected to last the ages as did the remaining components of the "battery".

The jar and rod is also the same design used for the storage of scrolls. Yet is it possible ancient scholars made use of a commonly available design in experimentation? The scroll jars used a copper rod, yet the "batteries" used 2 metals, copper and iron, with the iron being in the center of a rolled copper rod.

the artifacts... containing a copper cylinder made of a rolled-up copper sheet, which houses a single iron rod. At the top, the iron rod is isolated from the copper by bitumen plugs or stoppers, and both rod and cylinder fit snugly inside the opening of the jar which bulges outward towards the middle.

Strange that a simple storage jar would involve the use of TWO metals, when one would suffice for the use as a scroll rod. The use of two metals which form an "electrochemical couple" is far more telling then the debunkers claim that the bitumen seal (again, long ago decayed) would need to be "re-designed" to allow the capture of any electrical charges.

Really, would galvanic cells be that much of a stretch of the imagination for ancients peoples to have made such a discovery, even by accident? It's quiet east to do, and any peoples playing with different metals (as ancient Near Eastern civilizations were) would have plenty of opportunities to make such a discovery.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The Antikythera mechanism is a complex calendar system. It was used to determine specific dates (such as the Olympic games) and probably other religious/popular events. It is supposed to be of Corinthian origin.

It is even stated on the website documented in the OP :

Link from Antikythera mechanism official site

But I'm sure it's possible to find another Insane discovery that science can't explain to keep the count to 6

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join