It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gen. Petraeus: US violated Geneva Convention, the court of law could try terrorists: we made mistake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Gen. Petraeus: US violated Geneva Convention, the court of law could try terrorists: we made mistakes after 9/11: Close Gitmo

crooksandliars.com

he called for the responsible closure of the military prison at Guantanamo Bay. He also said that mistakes were made after 9/11 and that the Army Field Manual is all that we need to use to interrogate prisoners. In addition, he said that we have to have faith in our judicial system and we should try the Khalid Sheikh Muhammads in a court of law.

MacCallum: Where do you think those people should go?

Gen. Petraeus: Well, it's not for a soldier to say.

Wow, there was a lot in that interv
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Wow, I for sure didn't expect this.

Whether he truly is under Obama's thumb or not is irrelevant at this point, his message is good.

There's many pro-torture citizens out there.
Maybe if they don't listen to reason perhaps they'll listen to a General.

I'm anxious to see where this goes from here.
Hopefully Limbaugh will just keep shut and stay in the corner.
No need for drama.

crooksandliars.com

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
He's right for the most part. You have to understand though that some of the things he said he might believe himself.

He can't come out and say we should continue to water board because he is an active duty General. That would go against what the President says and could lead to him being demoted.

Not saying that is the case. Just pointing out that the possiblitlity that he can't truly speak his mind.

It was a good interview. I like Gen Petraeus, I met him a few weeks ago. He seemed like a down to earth guy, considering the weight of the world on his shoulders.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

you met Gen. Patraeus?

how?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Hopefully Limbaugh will just keep shut and stay in the corner.
crooksandliars.com

Only when hell freezes over.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
WOW! This is truly out of left field!!

This is a stunning statement and I for one am anxious to see others reactions. Especially from those who denied us ever violating the Geneva Convention.

Very good to see this coming to light. Now the next question is, will we continue to perform such "enhanced interrogation techniques" or not?

Definitely a step in the right direction.

S&F

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This is BS. The Geneva Convention Rules of engagement ONLY apply to declared conventional conflicts between countries. I defy anyone to show me language that covers guerrilla warfare between undeclared participants. We in the US have not been in an actual conventional war since WW2. When the other side in this conflict decides to abide by this accord, then and only then, should we abide by it. The Geneva Convention is a red herring inall regards to this armed conflict!
Zindo

top topics

join