It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Plans New Arm to Wage Cyberspace Wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Pentagon Plans New Arm to Wage Cyberspace Wars

www.nytimes.com

The Pentagon plans to create a new military command for cyberspace, administration officials said Thursday, stepping up preparations by the armed forces to conduct both offensive and defensive computer warfare.
The military command would complement a civilian effort announced on Friday by President Obama, who said the United States must have a comprehensive new way to safeguard its computers in the 21st century
Mr. Obama announced the creation of a White House office
reporting to both....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Cyberspace is real, and so are the risks that come with it. So now the Pentagon is given a new power to be coupled with a "civilian effort". Wow, this is right out of a science fiction novel!

President Obama will be signing a classifed order in the coming weeks, giving power to the internet "Czar". Power to protect, or power to invade? Invade our privacy, our computers, our hard drives, our blackberrys, hanheld pda, our cell phones, our web cams.

Of course we already have the DHS on this, and the USAF www.au.af.mil... Big Brother is watching.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-5-2009 by burntheships]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Where is Tankado and North Dakota when you need them?

Susan Fletcher, a brilliant mathematician and head of the National Security Agency's cryptography division, finds herself faced with an unbreakable code named "Digital Fortress" that TRANSLTR cannot break. TRANSLTR is the NSA's three-million-processor supercomputer that can quickly crack encrypted data via the brute force method, with some codes broken in more than three hours and others within minutes. The code of "Digital Fortress" is written by Japanese cryptographer Ensei Tankado, a fired NSA employee who is displeased with the agency's intrusion into people's privacy. Tankado posts a copy of Digital Fortress on his website, encrypted with itself, and auctions the passkey to unlock the algorithm on his website, threatening that his accomplice "North Dakota" will release the algorithm for free if he dies. Tankado is found dead in Seville, Spain. Fletcher and her fiancé, David Becker, a skilled linguist with eidetic memory, must find a solution to stop the spread of the code.
Source

Digital Fortress

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
S & F

They'll just end up outsourcing the new wing to India.
Just like my last two IT jobs. It's all part of the economic stimulus package.

BUT...

I'll throw my name in the hat and see if I can't scare up a new career as a cybersoldier. Hey I wonder if we will get a cool badge with like an all seeing eye on top of some sort of pyramid. I have my own design.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8b7c1a44d9d9.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Very fitting image indeed! The USAF has extenisve force in this already. I think it is the perfect way for all of what they do to be classifed, so even the normal Freedom of Information Acts will not cover it. Sorry folks, it is classified.

In other words, we (Gov) know everyting you do, say, type, speak...and you get to know nothing about the how when why of it. Classifed!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Cybersecurity: Obama’s Promise to Trash the Constitution

During a speech today on “cybersecurity,” Obama told a whopper. He said the government’s effort to protect us from cyber bad guys “will not include monitoring private sector networks or Internet traffic. We will preserve and protect the personal privacy and civil liberties that we cherish as Americans.”

Is it possible Obama has never heard of Mark Klein, the retired AT&T communications technician who said years ago that the company shunted all Internet traffic — including traffic from peering links connecting to other Internet backbone providers — to semantic traffic analyzers, installed in a secret room inside the AT&T central office on Folsom Street in San Francisco? There are similar rooms in Seattle, San Jose, Los Angeles and San Diego, all sucking up internet data.
Source

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I'm giving this thread a small bump I think it's worth it.

Good find.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Cybersecurity: Obama’s Promise to Trash the Constitution

During a speech today on “cybersecurity,” Obama told a whopper. He said the government’s effort to protect us from cyber bad guys “will not include monitoring private sector networks or Internet traffic. We will preserve and protect the personal privacy and civil liberties that we cherish as Americans.”

Is it possible Obama has never heard of Mark Klein, the retired AT&T communications technician who said years ago that the company shunted all Internet traffic — including traffic from peering links connecting to other Internet backbone providers — to semantic traffic analyzers, installed in a secret room inside the AT&T central office on Folsom Street in San Francisco? There are similar rooms in Seattle, San Jose, Los Angeles and San Diego, all sucking up internet data.

This is exactly what worries me about this fellow. I don't know his inner most intentions - so I'm not going to pretend I do -
but he was indeed the one who ultimately let AT&T off the hook? NO?
And made it easier for this to continue to happen without repercussions... in the future?

I am reminded of this wonderful Whitehouse "Organic " garden and the fact that the rest of us are unknowingly chomping down on GMO foods that are proving to be a real health issue. Does he not KNOW about GMO's and Monsanto? Of course he does - (some of his cabinet members are directly involoved)
But - he isn't talking about that - he's talking about making sure other aspects of our food are looked after. He wants to clean up food safety - but never mentions Monsanto seed source? Hello?

So there isn't going to be any private sector privacy issues in regards to monitoring our internet - phones etc - but there IS at this very moment this going on?
We are not going to continue the war - but - oh yes we are -
and we will in fact begin a new one?

I want to like this guy. I want to like everyone. But this is terribly confusing.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Very well said, astute observations! And you raise up some interesting contradictions happening right now! I like your example of the organic garden....especially!

What is going on...I think this is the classic politician doublespeak!

The term doublespeak was coined in the early 1950s. It is often incorrectly attributed to George Orwell and his 1949 dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. The term does not appear in that novel, although Orwell did coin newspeak, oldspeak, and doublethink, and his novel made fashionable composite nouns with speak as the second element, which were previously unknown in English. Doublespeak may be considered, in Orwell's lexicography, as the vocabulary of Newspeak, words "deliberately constructed for political purposes: words, that is to say, which not only had in every case a political implication, but were intended to impose a desirable mental attitude upon the person using them." The term double talk (with a similar meaning) dates back to at least 1936.
Source

Hummm...going back to what President Obama said, "will not include monitoring private sector networks or Internet traffic. We will preserve and protect the personal privacy and civil liberties that we cherish as Americans"...he is telling us what we want to hear, to create warmth and trust with him...so we believe he will protect our rights and liberties as Americans. But...while he speaks, he is deliberately doing the opposite.

And it is the desired affect they wish to achieve ...leaving us confused instead of angry, feeling betrayed, learning not to trust the government.
THAT is what they want!

[edit on 31-5-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Below is an except from an article published today. Must read! This article has pretty much all in one stop information you need to know! I would post the whole thing I think it is SO IMPORTANT! But know that is not T&C.

Best article I have read to date!

The Obama administration’s new Cybersecurity system will only make the Internet more vulnerable to attack, while creating the framework for a massively upgraded government surveillance grid that will control and regulate every aspect of our daily lives through the implementation of “smart” technology.

Obama’s announcement of the new cybersecurity grid dovetails with a recently introduced Senate bill, the Cybersecurity Act of 2009, that would hand the president the power to shut down the entire Internet in the event of a “cybersecurity” crisis.

www.infowars.com...

[edit on 1-6-2009 by burntheships]

new topics

top topics

join