It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vet's Patriotic Stickers Under Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Vet's Patriotic Stickers Under Fire

www.myfoxhouston.com

Frank Larison is a disabled veteran with more than 14 years of service, including more than a year of combat duty in Vietnam. The 58-year-old former Marine now finds himself under attack by his Dallas homeowners association for displaying seven decals on his vehicle supporting the Marine Corps. The board says the decals are advertisements that violate HOA rules, and must be covered or removed. Otherwise, the homeowners association for The Woodlands II on The Creek says in a letter it will tow the car at Larimore's expense. The board also threatens to fine him $50 for any future incident.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
What is going on in America? I am tired of hearing about these stories about attacks on veterans rights to display their patriotism. There are millions of men and women in America that have served their country with pride and honor and we should not stand for this disrespect. How is having a Semper Fi sticker on your car a violation of any HOA rules? This is just another attack on someone being patriotic and proud to have served their country.

www.myfoxhouston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This HOA's gone way too far. I can understand not wanting neighbors with a trashy yard or a car on blocks in front. But regulating bumper stickers is beyond the power of the HOA.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The article states that any form of advertisement on vehicles or homes is forbidden. I think the term "advertisement" could easily be fought in court. HOA only have the recourse of litigation. They cannot tow his car, they can only sue him.

I am sure the construction projects in the community have signs. I am sure the homes for sale have signs. I am sure other cars have political stickers.

So, he could fight the claim by inconsistent application of the rules nullifying their existence. He could fight this by saying he is not "advertising" for the marines.

If he is a combat marine, I bet he has a lot of other fun ways to annoy his neighbors as well!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I would think the only thing he could do was like someone else said, argue what an advertisement is. If he has an HoA then he signed a contract with them and they sure can fine him or do whatever else is in the HoA in regards to "punishments" for breaking their rules. There are some pretty crazy HoA rules out there...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

The people complaining probably all have "Obama 08" stickers, which I would certainly call advertising.

The other stickers I would call affiliation logos. Like the Masons have, or the FOP license plates.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
HOA's in general are a farse. It is nothing other than a way for someone to feel like they have some sort of power.

If I were this homeowner, I would start making a stink about every single sticker, sign, and logo i saw in the area. I'd start lawsuits. In short, I'd make a VERY big stink.

Here's to hoping that this person does as well.

new topics

top topics

join