It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of Body Questions

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is exactly the right place for my question, so if not forgive me. Recently I've been trying to achieve obe with limited success on my own. Today while meditating, I was telling myself over and over that I wanted to remember my past lives. I didn't see anything but I had a strange feeling. The area right above my nose and parts of the nose (but very deep, like it was behind the structure) it was like a tingling feeling, not quite pins and needles but something similar. No, I was not lying my face either, there was nothing physical touching my face at all. Any idea? Oh, after I was finished/gave up for the day, the feeling went away immediately, and there were no other sensations anywhere else on my body.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Hi All ..

I've posted this response before on other threads and even my own thread but wanted to share it again here, i've had two OBE's, well experiences on 2 occasions. I didn't bring either on, in short, the first time, i could have been dreaming, but after finding it difficult to sleep, i just remembered feeling this amazing tingly, exciting erotic type feeling. I had heard of OBE's/astral travel before and decided to try sit up out of my body, having read other earlier posts i can understand them as its very difficult to lift up so to speak at first, the feeling intensifies and you have to rest a little before trying again, but once i got sat up if you will, it became a whole lot easier, i eventually left my body and took a look at myself, the second occasion i was asleep then all of a sudden i heard this extremely loud noise, like selotape down a microphone, and at the same time i was hovering half way out of my body face down above my wife, it was the most terrifying experience but i did feel i could control it, so i got back to my body and tried to sleep, the thing is, it kept happening all night without me trying, it was really scary. Anyway . .i wanted to ask a question .. sometimes when i'm inbetween sleep and being awake i can lay there and hear myself breathing, but the thing is, the breathing doesn't coincide with my body .. i can feel my body breath but i hear the breath before the body moves, its very strange indeed . .does this happen to anyone else or canyou explain it ?? kind regards . .Satellite1

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

I know that there are similarities between OBEs and induced Meditative OBEs. I just don't know what the similarities are enough to tell you if you were on the verge of having anything happen.

Like I have said before, your body and mind are incredible, incredible instruments and the things that they are of capable of as a team or singularly is unknown by many. I suggest you keep working at it and continue to document your progress as well.

It does sound like something was going on there, maybe you should try to approach this feeling again and get it ito increase over your body, maybe you can acieve a type of paralysis that will allow you to leave your body with more control upfront.

Good Luck

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by satellite1

That sounds like some awesome experiences. If it ever happens to you again go ahead and try to stand up or move around your environment. You will be pleasantly suprised with all the things and feelings you will experience.

I am 99% convinced that our minds operate independently of our bodies. Our minds have the control and if you are out of your body you may be hearing yourself breathe in that state, which may transfer to your body.

I know many time when I am Out of Body I experience feeling before my body reacts. I have jerked my arm back from a rose bush in one experience and a couple seconds later my arm jerked in my physical body, waking me up.

I have also went under water before in an experience and took a deep breath to hold while I was under and a second later my body took a breath. I went under water for a second and got nervous and tried to breath, I was suprised that I could breath without a problem, but it was like breathing a thick type of air.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Thanks for your advice, I have actually been continuing my attempt, as I have been for a very long time, but I've been trying some different techniques lately with varying results. If I could get some input about this latest experience I'd appriciate it. I was lying on the sofa, and focusing on my desire for knowledge, basically asking/begging for it. So, I'm lying there with my eyes closed, yet I feel as if I'm sitting up about half way. I was very confused and my eyes were closed (very, very heavy to open). I felt like I sitting up, yet consciously I knew I lying down. Being very excited about what I thought was happening it ended. I knew I could easily open my eyes, but I had in intense focus not to change anything bc I was hoping I could do it again.

I'm not certain if the next part was a dream or not. I remember getting up and walking down the hall to lay in bed, and again with the eyes, I physically had to put my hands to my eyes to open them and hold them open. Next thing I remember, wake up back on the couch and my first thought was how did I get back out here. Does it sound like a run of the mill dream, or something else?

Oh, and I'm going to leave this too. A few weeks ago a deceased family member came to me and in our discussion we spoke of paying attention, the need to pay attention is what I was told. I am wondering if anyone else sees a connection to the inability to open my eyes normally and this other experience as being connected, bc as I write this that is what I'm thinking.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

I am not sure the meaning of your experiences, though they are very interesting.

It sounds a bit like an OBE, but I have no experience with them as you describe. Stress can bring things like this on and losing a family member and speaking with them seems like an attribute of stress. In that sense I would say the two are related.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
For OBE, what happens to your body? does it remain "sleeping", still breathing I mean. Do you always get slammed back into your body if you freak out. Has anyone not been able to get back into their body? that is my biggest fear.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Hello, and thank the OP for this interesting thread. I am sure you all know the foremost expert in where to get in OBE's and what you can profitably explore is Robert A. Monroe. The brainwave stuff he and people following his footsteps like Dane Spotts do is awesome, and I have had a few OBE's from those tracks alone. However, thanks for the info, OP, on the video - I am reading as much from this Newport as I can. He nailed down some physical requirements that were missing for me - such as relaxing the jaw, the melatonine cycle - why it is the best time in the early morning, not when one is going to bed...
I had hundreds of OBE's but they were always spontaneous. The first ones I recall were when I was in the Army and had to get up every four hours to do company watch. I did Transcendental Meditation at the time and needless to say, the Army was not too happy about it. So my sleep cycles were interrupted, I also drank coffee when I could (I have low blood pressure so sometimes it wasdifficult to stay awake).
The second major cycle came when I was in the US and worked as a teacher aid in a high school. Since the work was undemanding but I had to get up at ungodly hours after only a few hours of sleep I tried to make up at the teacher's room on a sofa, pretending to correct student papers. Probably that contributed to my frequent OBE's then - which always started as if I were awake in the same room. I was afraid the assistant principal would catch me snoring and unresponsive and anyway he thought I was a drug addict or something like that. That fear probably kept me very conscious while I was telling my body to relax.
There are really many different questions in religion that get spontaneously answered if you can get into an OBE. You can talk to guardians etc. Carlos Castaneda is also a good source, the Art of Dreaming in particular. As for me, I could say OBE's were usually confirming my beliefs about reality. I sometimes had experiences that were more along a Buddhist or Hindu reincarnational line, sometimes Jungian archetypes, and mantras certainly helped deepen a healing trance.
However, what I find interesting about this thread and the video you posted is a systematic approach to the induction without any outside help. At this point in life I have too few of these experiences but all of them are treasured and valuable to me when they happen, in terms of deep rest - somehow you can get a deeper rest in your physical and nervous system if you are falling asleep consciously than normally - as well as on the fields of psychology, shamanism or religion. Also, there is a deeply satisfying feeling about an OBE you cannot have any other way...
My chief concern now is that due to some intestinal problems I have difficulty falling asleep at all. I use a mild sleep help pill - but almost every night I lay down first and sometimes that is when an OBE comes. One thing I found that is sadly true for me, I don't know if it is for any others here: I always have an OBE as a surprise, if I am aiming at achieveing one, it is never that - either I fall asleep regularly or not at all... I grant you life's pressures are numerous now, and that is how I found the Monroe tracks useful - they can relax me at levels where nothing else can.
I guess I should try to revamp my entire routine in the light of Nick's nformation. It is probably advisable to get up even after a little sleep and do some sort of meditation - I tried kinds that do not emphasize and erect spine, and allow for some sleep or a bob of the head... then go back to sleep. Luckily my present routine allows that, I work as freelance and if I get up later I just work later...
Advices? Suggestions?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jerigt

The same thing happens to your body that happens everynight when you sleep. OBE allows you to be mentally aware of what is going on and leave your sleeping, physical body and explore the environment you are normally asleep during.

I always get slammed back in, I am sure it is different depending on the situations or the person. I assume there have probably been instances where people have died during sleep and other have blamed it on OBE, but I do not know of any documented cases. Many of the stories or Urban Legends that have been heard of consist of individuals who suffer from Sleep Apnea or other sleep disorder that could cause death.

If you have never had any sleep disorders you should be alright, but I am no doctor. If you are still nervous about trying something like this you should consult your primary physician about possible sleep disorders or anxiety you may have. Most doctors understand when their patients are experimenting with their minds and bodies in a healthy way, especially when they are learning about things physically and spiritually.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Asriel

I am with on the point about the strange sleep patterns contributing to the OBEs. It is very important, if you are altering your sleep patterns to achieve OBEs, to be very careful not to screw your pattern up so bad that it takes a lot of work to level out.

I think you have probably found what your body is like in the sleep state. For example; I have nightmares when I sleep on my right side, but on the left sid I have pleasant dream. When I sleep on my back I am most susceptible to OBEs. You should find which position you are most comfortable in fo a long period of time when you sleep. Get in that position before you go to sleep and resist all the urges to move or roll over when you are attempting OBE.

When I first started, all of my OBEs were spontaneous. Through practice I have been able to induce them, but like many people I can get frustrated and go weeks without an OBE.

If you become educated in many of these techiniques you may find some very interesting things happening during your sleep patterns. You may not always have OBEs, in fact you may never have one. I would almost guarantee that if you practice these techniques routinely you will find yourself falling asleep better than you ever have, especially if you have had sleep problems, like insomnia or trouble falling asleep.

The climbing technique and the jaw relaxer do really help and work.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Esteay,
I'm still practicing doing OBE. I don't think I'm quite there yet. I know I have had a couple in the past but they were not intentional. I would like to be able to intentionally do it. Anyway, my question now is, the during the OBE are you actually awake or are you almost in a dream state that you can control and wake up from?? I'm not sure a know what to expect to know whether I'm doing it or not.
I know about eight years ago I had an OBE and I went to the other side. I was gliding down this very long table with all these people sitting, eating, talking and laughing. Then all of a sudden a chair slid right out in front of me and it was my uncle that had passed away 2 years before. He never said anything but it was so sudden and he just smiled at me. Well, the chair sliding out in front of me so quickly startled me and I was slammed back in my body. I woke up with my heart pounding and rather startled. I said out loud "Never do that to me again" and unfortunatley that was the last time I can remember having the OBE. It kinda seemed like a dream but I know it was real.
It seems like when I'm trying, I keep falling asleep and then I don't remember if I have accomplished an OBE or not. What do you think I could do to change that?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Starseed32

It sounds like you didn't have an OBE. It sounds more like a Lucid Dream. In a Lucid Dream one of the main characteristics is the fact that you recognize that you are dreaming. This recognition alone constitutes a Lucid Dream. There are a few different levels of Lucid Dreaming, knowing you are dreaming to changing the outcome, the environment, and changing pretty much anything at all, at will in your Lucid Dream.

Edit to add this: One way to tell you are dreaming and not in an OBE is your environment. 99% of all OBEs occurr in virtually the exact environment they went to sleep in. For example, if you have an OBE in you bedroom you will be in your bedroom while in your astral body. It will be identical to your physical world bedroom and you can explore your environment from there.

The good news for you is the fact that most people who are susceptible to Lucid Dreaming are great candidates for OBEs.

When you are beginning an OBE you will remain 100% conscious in your mind. Your body will fall asleep, as it does normally.

You will experience Sleep Paralysis. The characteristics of SP are varying, from a light tingling to a great vibration-like feeling. It will also feel, literally, like a weighted blanket has been laid over your body. During the stage when your body is attempting to enter Sleep Paralysis, or SP, your mind has an automatic check-list to see if your mind is actually asleep enough to enter SP.

Your mind will give the urge to roll over to see if you are conscious enough to respond. If you respond and roll over you will not enter SP. You will start from the beginning and your mind will again test you.

It is very, very important when you are attempting an induced OBE to remain 110% still and relaxed. Make sure every part of your body is completely relaxed. A good way to achieve this is to start at you feet and stretch then relax. Move to your calves, then knees, then thighs, and so on. When you have stretched and relaxed. go back to your feet and work your way up your body until you get to the top of your head, making sure everything is relaxed and comfortable on the way.

For a beginner you may want to try and induce your OBE by falling asleep on your back. Keep your mind conscious by thinking about one thing over and over. This will allow you to remain focused without drifting to something different, while allowing your body to drift into SP.

When you begin to feel tingling in your legs don't be alarmed and DON'T move, SP is beginning. Remain calm and continue thinking about the primary thought, this will help you remain calm, keep you focused, allow you to stay conscious, and keep your body progressing to SP.

This could take anywhere from 15 minutes. to an hour so be patient.

When you feel the lead blanket wight over you body and you are fairly certain that you are in full SP try and roll over. At first do it slowly, this will make sure you don't wake your body. Don't make any sudden movements, just slow and smooth. At first it will feel 100% like your physical body is moving, but it isn't. It will feel almost like you are stuck, but keep turning over. You are now about to roll right out of your physical body.

Don't get discouraged, as confidence plays a big part in this process. It may take you a few days or even a week or more to experience your first OBE, but when you do you will be hooked.

When you first get out be sure to stay calm and try small things first, such as floating, walking through doors or simply looking around your room. You should be amazed that everything you see in you Astral body is identical to your physical world. You can even go to your neighbors house and see them on the couch, in the bed, or where ever. It is an incredible experience.

One more tip; the thought you are focusing on while attempting to enter SP can vary, but the best results I have had came with the "Climbing a Rope" thought. It is very simple. Just imagine yourself continually climbing a long rope. Just imagine this one thought over and over and over until you are in SP. Sometimes you will enter full-blown SP without realizing it and climb the rope right out of your body.

I hope this helps you and Good Luck

SDA

[edit on 7-8-2009 by esteay812]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Thanks Esteay! This answers all the questions that I've had. Now that I know more of what to expect and try I do feel that I will soon experience and OBE. When I do, I will come back and share my first experience!!
Great Info!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Starseed32

Please do share your progress with us all. I am very interested in the experiences of others. I love to compare them to see any similarities.

It is also good to talk about your experiences, whether you have gotten close or you have had several OBEs. One reason for discussion is to learn by analysis. It also helps get frustration out of the way, as it can be frustrating when you know you are close to full-blown OBE and you just don't quite make it there.

Again, Good Luck and keep us posted!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

this is very interesting! Is this the next step to lucid dreams?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join