It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The clock thats advancing without us...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
With the perception of the world grabbing its hand basket for the trip to h-e-double hockey sticks do you think the doomsday clock should be closer to midnight? As I understand it, the clock is changed as the world changes.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.thebulletin.org...

Or do you think that at this point the news we hear is sooo far into the war mongering as to be unreliable?

So heres the question... with recent events.. should the time be advanced closer to midnight? I'm just thinking about NK, swine flu, Pak, Afganistan, Iraq, Iran the list goes on, maybe the clock should be brought 'up to speed' so to speak?

Dax

ps.. thank you to xxpigxx for helping me find the name of the clock, and silo13 for the encouragement to start a new thread. Hugs to ya both.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Well, uh, what time does the clock say now? I tried looking for this clock but just found a bunch of print. My suggestion is that its about 4:20.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
it's 5 to midnight kiddies. Time for bed!
I bet it moves again any day now with all this NK craziness.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
Well, uh, what time does the clock say now? I tried looking for this clock but just found a bunch of print. My suggestion is that its about 4:20.

Right now we are at 5 minutes. The last time it was changed was 2007...

2007: The world stands at the brink of a second nuclear age. The United States and Russia remain ready to stage a nuclear attack within minutes, North Korea conducts a nuclear test, and many in the international community worry that Iran plans to acquire the Bomb. Climate change also presents a dire challenge to humanity. Damage to ecosystems is already taking place; flooding, destructive storms, increased drought, and polar ice melt are causing loss of life and property.

www.thebulletin.org...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ImzadiDax

5 minutes? I wouldnt say were at 5 minutes. I mean it seems bad, but even if nk launches nukes, they have what? 3, 4 maybe. and i dont think the war would go much past that because nk would be extinct and if they had started it, well they did with breaking the armistice, but no one would probably back them if they attack. so doomsday wouldnt happen as a result.

Unless if by doomsday they mean an attack with nukes, then were at like 30 seconds.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Myendica]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
As bad as things look, I can't help but think we are on the brink of a better age. Currently, I don't think all out nuclear war is a possibility. Sure Iran v. Israel, and N. Korea v. S. Korea could use limited weapons, but the world would swiftly condemn such actions and I don't think any super powers would be drawn in.

If anything, the world is more cooperative than ever before. I am not talking about the toothless U.N.; I am talking about direct talks between nations, and how there seems to be a common goal to fix the economy and control the rogue aggressors.

The clock may be ticking, but it may result in a huge cooperation among nations.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Why does it matter?

There have been apocalyptic predictions and prophecies for hundreds if not thousands of years, and yet we are still here.

What is the point of being so attached to the prophecies? What is the point of being so attached to the unknowable future? All it does is muddy up the only time we do have, which is NOW. Could happen tomorrow. Perhaps in a thousand years. Maybe never. If it does happen, I will have little control over the outcome, so I'll just enjoy now for as long as I can.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I watched a movie last night (The Day the Earth Stood Still) and a quote really made me think...

"It is on the brink that we change"

I think thats very true. I also dont think NK will nuke anyone because Kim is not as crazy as he pretends he is. But everything together is a little overwhelming.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by PH43DRUS
Why does it matter?

There have been apocalyptic predictions and prophecies for hundreds if not thousands of years, and yet we are still here.

What is the point of being so attached to the prophecies? What is the point of being so attached to the unknowable future? All it does is muddy up the only time we do have, which is NOW. Could happen tomorrow. Perhaps in a thousand years. Maybe never. If it does happen, I will have little control over the outcome, so I'll just enjoy now for as long as I can.

I'm not sure that it does matter. But I do think that the scientists that control this clock know more than we do. They change the clock as the world events change.

I am not sure which prophecies to are talking about. I dont think there are any attached to the clock, tho I may be wrong.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I was given a prophetic vision, a personal revelation some years ago. All but the final 2 have come to pass, and it did have to do with a clock and time, the final one was about Flying through space in a craft that zoomed around planets and debris like a 4 wheel drive driving 90 through a forest.

I am always open to reading about these types of threads on ATS as I personally am waiting , watching for the unknown.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Grats on a great post.
I was just looking into this on the web!
I’ll visit your links and poke around and then come back and join in the converstaion.

Before I go though - I’d of thought we’d be closer to 2400 - but - thank goodness we’re not!

EDIT: Here I found this for ya - I hope you like it added into your thread.

Enjoy!

[edit on 29-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I found an interesting video....

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 29-5-2009 by ImzadiDax]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

LOLOLOL great minds, I suppose.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I didn't mean to infer that the Doomsday Clock was attached to any kind of prophecy. I was speaking on the human condition, and its apparent attachment to prophecy (i.e. Revelations, 2012 and the Maya, etc.). Sorry for the confusion.

The link in the OP says it was started after WWII, when the cold war, threats of nuclear holocaust began, and tensions were at their highest. It also mentioned that setting the clock is relativly arbitrary, and decided by a group of atomic scientists, based on global affairs. I have to remain skeptical about atomic scientists and their insights into global affairs. Global geopolitics just doesn't seem like it would be a forte of an atomic scientist, IMO, so, how could an arbitrary setting from these men carry any merit? Maybe they have an inside source, IDK, just seems like a bunch of PR hype and hogwash to me.

P.S. Sorry if I'm pouring water on your thread, I'll leave now.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by PH43DRUS

I didn't mean to infer that the Doomsday Clock was attached to any kind of prophecy. I was speaking on the human condition, and its apparent attachment to prophecy (i.e. Revelations, 2012 and the Maya, etc.). Sorry for the confusion.

The link in the OP says it was started after WWII, when the cold war, threats of nuclear holocaust began, and tensions were at their highest. It also mentioned that setting the clock is relativly arbitrary, and decided by a group of atomic scientists, based on global affairs. I have to remain skeptical about atomic scientists and their insights into global affairs. Global geopolitics just doesn't seem like it would be a forte of an atomic scientist, IMO, so, how could an arbitrary setting from these men carry any merit? Maybe they have an inside source, IDK, just seems like a bunch of PR hype and hogwash to me.

P.S. Sorry if I'm pouring water on your thread, I'll leave now.

My apologies, I reread your post and now I see what you were saying. Sorry.

I guess it really is an arbitrary decision by the scientists, and you are right it could be just total crap. It could also just seem that way on the surface. I wish I knew more about it.

IMHO, I think we look for ansers in prophecy because we are looking for our place in the 'timeline' and the universe as a whole. And maaybe some are just ready for an end to the anticipation. For me personally, I am interested because it show the ever widening options we have.

P.S. dont leave.

new topics

top topics

join