It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Is Plentiful, Demand Weak. Why Are Gas Prices Going Up?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Oil Is Plentiful, Demand Weak. Why Are Gas Prices Going Up?

news.yahoo.com

Storage tankers across the globe may be brimming with oil that no one is buying because of the global economic downturn, but the traditional laws of supply and demand don't always apply to oil prices. Drivers have faced rising prices at the gas pump in recent months, as investors and oil-producing countries hoard supplies in anticipation of a global economic recovery later this year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I had to laugh when I read this, if I didn't then I would have picked up the keyboard and thrown it across the room. Its a complete and utter joke!

All across the world people are paying more and more for their fuel, yet the cost of a barrel has dropped dramatically and do we see that passed on.....No, not at all, they say exploration, I say EXPLOITATION!.

The thing is many people (the majority) rely on fuel in order to get to work in order to earn 'money' )theres that word again) in order to live. The whole system is designed to control us in every way.

What will it take in order for the population to wake up and see this in order to bring about change?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
welcome to the capitalist system, the price is whatever the consumer is willing to pay for the product, not what is fairest to the consumer.

if you don't want it at that price, don't buy it at that price.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Gold is up too.

I was just about to start a thread on this topic. Glad you beat me to it.

I think it's a little curious that gold and oil are both rising very quickly right now. What is going on? Maybe those turner roomers about a first strike on NK have something to them?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Gold,silver,platinum,palladium will continue to go up , with potential hyperinflation of dollar probability is considerably high

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
welcome to the capitalist system, the price is whatever the consumer is willing to pay for the product, not what is fairest to the consumer.

if you don't want it at that price, don't buy it at that price.

The system forces us to pay these prices because we are dependant on them, my question is how to change the system from the outside?

For example, when I say this to people they always say "so what are you going to do" when I reply to them its not about one person its about a collective amount of people, they always say "theres nothing we can do" I don't and can't believe that.

There is a scientific name (I can't remember the name) where the system drives prices high in order to test where the line is, The line where consumers will say enough is enough. I believe that we are now at that line. However, in order to raise that line even higher, the system goes about it in various ways which are:

1. Divert attention with by focusing on the media - i.e a news story that effects the world

2.Start a war

3.Appeasing people and lowering prices of goods then slowlyy creep them up whilst the people believe that the system is working for them.

4.Confuse consumers with jargon and buzz words which offers promise for the future.

5. Start another war!

Did I miss anything?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Whenever a product isn't selling very well the price will go up.

Demand determines price is a myth with a slight grain of truth.

People have to have oil, people will never stop buying it completely as there is little in the way of an alternative, so not much competition (ever wonder why alternatives are not developed?).
So, say 50% stop buying it, and the other 50% have no choice but to buy it, then prices will go up to make up for the 50% loss.

If oil stopped making profit then we wouldn't get oil, because the capitalist would move on to more profitable products or markets. Profit is the driving force of capitalism. Supply will always favor areas where the most profit is made, thus creating and perpetuating poverty in some regions and accessive supply in others.

That is capitalism. Making profit is the game, not supplying you with oil, that's just the means to an end.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
The title of the whole article is very misleading..

"Oil Plentiful, Demand Weak"

Oil is not an unlimited resource, and there is a strong global demand for the commodity.

That should tell you all you need to know right there..

There is no averting higher gas prices unfortunately unless we see a brand new renewable tech. sweeping the world here.. (ok, nope lol)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
The title of the whole article is very misleading..

"Oil Plentiful, Demand Weak"

Oil is not an unlimited resource, and there is a strong global demand for the commodity.

That should tell you all you need to know right there..

There is no averting higher gas prices unfortunately unless we see a brand new renewable tech. sweeping the world here.. (ok, nope lol)

refer to the abiotic oil theory

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Kombatt98

Id rather refer to the reality that we are facing currently.

When demand is growing by a certain % every year, we can use the rule of 72 to determine how much we will use exponentially in the future..

You guys are being fooled..

just my opinion

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
The answer is simple...
the bottom is falling out of the bond market, stocks are unstable. with no real safe haven for investors their flocking to commodities in this case energy... remember there still a lot of money managers out there who's jobs depend on them making a profit... if there's not a growing market they will just create one of their own.... regardless of the consequences

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Id rather refer to the reality that we are facing currently.

When demand is growing by a certain % every year, we can use the rule of 72 to determine how much we will use exponentially in the future..

You guys are being fooled..

just my opinion

oil is renewable as it generated due to natural subterran activities b/w crust and mantle

many oil fields have been known refilling again and again , and this foxed scientists , refer to abiotic oil theory

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Then I guess you have cornered the oil market.

What is the trade then?

Im not being mean, but that really sounds dumb.

If oil can generate itself as fast as we can take it out something is wrong with the past 50 years of trading..

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

If they wanted to short the market, they would.

Big Money makes money going both ways my friend.

Dont listen to the MSM

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

It is speculation, not a realistic growth in demand, that is driving the surge in the prices of crude oil.

You have not been very attentive of the news lately specially yesterday after the OPEC meeting, when the Saudis are asking the "speculators to keep driving prices of oil up" so they can have 200 dollars barrel of oil within the next two years.

And don't you dare to call them oil cartel because in the news they expressed yesterday very angrily that the term oil cartel was very derogatory to them.

Still that is exactly what they are.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
When gasoline was $4/gal in the US, I bought a bicycle and haven't looked back, since. I've filled my gas tank less than 5 times in the past year, though I think I have made up for the gas costs with garage bills due to my car breaking every time I touch it, now!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Then I guess you have cornered the oil market.

What is the trade then?

Im not being mean, but that really sounds dumb.

If oil can generate itself as fast as we can take it out something is wrong with the past 50 years of trading..

the elites are the ones who want to create artifical scaricities to get more profits

also biotic oil theory(THAT OIL IS FINITE) CONTRADICTS THE SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS

www.digitaljournal.com...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Because it is the summer... no more no less... we are being milked.... again.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
The system forces us to pay these prices because we are dependant on them, my question is how to change the system from the outside?

you choose to be dependent on gas, there's no other way to look at it.
there are alternatives, if you don't like them as much as gas and are willing to pay the price of gas as it stands, then that's your choice.

For example, when I say this to people they always say "so what are you going to do" when I reply to them its not about one person its about a collective amount of people, they always say "theres nothing we can do" I don't and can't believe that.
you'll never get people to change if you don't lead the way, become less dependent on oil yourself. it might not drive the cost down but it'll mean the price doesn't affect you.

Did I miss anything?

personal responsibility?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

In order to state these claims, you must be able to be knowledgeable in these subjects, and not just refer to links.

I bet I could come up with 100000 other links to prove otherwise (but im not going to b/c i dont think its worth it)

Lets look at it this way.. ok?

Growth in the world is at a certain % every year (people being born etc..)

Thus, demand will increase at a rate exponentially to this.

If oil can magically make itself over and over again at the same rate we take it out, AT ONE POINT ACCORDING TO THE RULE OF 72, YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

I dont know how else to state this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join