It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the difference between Humans and Animals?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

So much of our actions and things are to do with sex, and there energies. These energies are one of the main reasons, go through mental problems, like what mind science has shown in the past.

If you look at the nazi movement all of it, was based on focusing sexual energies. Of cause we all have these, and society tries to make you focus them into your ego, and make you sex mad. But what happens if you have no interest in sex, lol. What does the government do with you then.

So i doubt we are much different, it is just that we can choose how to use the energies we have, that makes us higher than animals. But if you do not use these energies, it can be bad news for you.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I've been wondering about this myself. Humans can use compounds that would harm other mammals, including other higher primates such as aspirin. We can eat things that would harm other mammals. I'm not going to compare intelligence since that would be like comparing alien intelligences.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by scraze

Isn't that survival instinct rather than killing for fun or sport?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

This is a long time argument in the fairly young field of psychology.

I'll try to give you an answer that makes sense though. Or an example.

Humans are indeed different. Better? Well, that's a completely different argument. However, we are different because we do NOT react on instinct like your brother states. Sure, some things are instinctual but a good majority of our actions are based on thoughts that are NOT instincts.

For example, it is very rare that you will find in the wild where an animal will actually sacrifice itself to save another. To be more precise, you will see mothers turn and fight a hyena pack only if it feels it can win. However, once the odds shift to a point where the young one is lost you will see that mother walk away. Now, they can still be upset and such but they will NEVER throw their lives away. That is instincts.

Now, put a human mother in the same position and she will fight against the worst odds and probably die for her young. That is not instincts. That is a completely different process. She is choosing to sacrifice herself for her young. Out of love, not out of the need to keep her race going.

I hope I cleared the muddy waters of this long time psychological debate.

Am I right? Well, I won't go that far. There is a bit of validity for the other argument as well. However, I do believe what I just said. That this is why we are different from animals.

Now, will you find other mammals that react in similar ways? Yes. You will find whales and dolphins that may react in this manner. They do protect their young until it or themself is dead. I have seen this.

But when it comes to creatures like rhino's and gazelle, you will see the mother put up a fight initially but then quickly give in once the odds swing away from her surviving.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnb
Elephants linger around the sites of their dead and some 'seem' to enjoy painting. Some birds decorate their nests with rubbish we have produced - colour coordinated or shiny - this implies some appreciation of beauty does it not?

Yes to the elephant (well, not appreciation of beauty but of showing how they are more than just animals reacting solely on instincts).

No to the birds. They decorate their nests with bright objects (some do) simply for attraction purposes. Mating. Just like the males having vibrant colors and so on.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

I could easily counter that by saying that there are things animals eat that are toxic to us. I see where you are coming from, but I don't think it holds up.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg

No to the birds. They decorate their nests with bright objects (some do) simply for attraction purposes. Mating. Just like the males having vibrant colors and so on.

But if for instance the male decorates his nest to attract a female - does this not mean that the female chooses an attractive nest over an ugly nest? You could argue that this sense of aesthetics is biological, but maybe our sense of beauty has biological origins as well?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
well i'm glad i got that one cleared up

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnb
Slightly different question and I don't know why some people think like this.
Humans as supreme beings! what a joke we are the scum of the earth, literally parasites feeding off the planet consuming it wholesale and everything on it. Extinction rates climbing all the time as we exterminate species after species, habitats dwindling and most of this at our expense (humans preying and living off each other, the few who run the show anyway)

I have to agree with you on that, but would if this is what the TPTB wanted. I mean we are animals(mammal) but would if the few elite, with these chem trails, are trying to turn us into beings that act like parasites. We seem normal we do our normal human-animal things, but while doing all this we are destroying our planet like a parasite eating away at someones body, depleting it of all nutrients and vitamins. Have we always been this destructive to mother earth, or have we always been this destructive and now something is causing it to happen at a faster pace? Over time it seems that way(IMO) or maybe its because we have new technology and faster ways to destroy earth. I don't know just throwing it out there...

PEACE!!!

I think I might have gotten little of topic sorry

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Animals don't put fluoride in the water or GMO seeds in the food source -
or aspartame in the chewing gum...

they don't build nuclear "items" that cause great harm to the earth and the life on it -

they don't dirty up space with their "intelligent" space junk - or de-fin and wipe out oceans of sharks and other important creatures for a buck -

they don't use money to manipulate and destroy the planet - and the people on it.

Just for starters -

[edit on 29-5-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
My argument, the only animal that converges to take in the beauty of a sunset are humans.

Huh? Well first of all many animals see things in black and white, which means a sunset would not be all that fantastic for them to look at.

That would be like a rat saying "humans could NEVER enjoy the beauty of flowers glowing infra-red on a moonless night, ever see a human staring at a glowing field of wildflowers? Nope, they can't appreciate beauty, they are so less developed than we are"! Or a cat thinking that all humans are retarded because they stumble around in the dark (well i am pretty sure they DO think that).

You have no idea what they think, how they communicate, what their world is like. And because you have no idea you assume it is meaningless.

Many animals are VERY intelligent, and that is just based on OUR definition of intelligence. Whales not only speak a language, but they have different dialects and cannot understand foreign dialects.

We don't even UNDERSTAND how many other species think, feel, or the depth of their emotional attachments. 200 years ago they would capture african "wild men" and put them in cages like zoo specimens, why? Because they didn't sound the same, or communicate the same, so they must be stupid and sub-human. Now days that would be seen as wrong, but we do the SAME thing to animals. And I do believe many species are capable of VERY intense emotional attachments that would make most human attachments pale in comparison (but they can't make movies about it so it must not count!).

Such arrogance!

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Sonya610]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join