It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the difference between Humans and Animals?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I constantly argue with my brother on this subject. My brother argues we are no different to animals. We may like to think we are driven by free will, but most of our decisions can be attributed to primal instincts. He believes the Human race will control its populations in the same way virus and rats control. human beings have not progressed just come up with better ways of killing each other.

My argument, the only animal that converges to take in the beauty of a sunset are humans. He would argue that chimps enjoy the beauty in things. He basically rattles of quotes from John Grey's Straw Dogs book.

interested in your thoughts

[edit on 29-5-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
We are animals - mammals.

Do you mean why do we distinguish ourselves from animals?

We say we are better because we are 'intelligent' - which other animal species depletes all natural resources to the point of extinction - none i can think of - so who's really more intelligent?

Also we cannot say whther animals can appreciate beauty etc - thee are instances of animals painting etc but how would you begin to measure appreciation. You would need to know what is attractive to each species and even then may be sub sections - ie some people stop to look at a sunset but others wouldn't, even in humans beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnb
We are animals - mammals.

Do you mean why do we distinguish ourselves from animals?

We say we are better because we are 'intelligent' - which other animal species depletes all natural resources to the point of extinction - none i can think of - so who's really more intelligent?

Also we cannot say whther animals can appreciate beauty etc - thee are instances of animals painting etc but how would you begin to measure appreciation. You would need to know what is attractive to each species and even then may be sub sections - ie some people stop to look at a sunset but others wouldn't, even in humans beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes why do we some believe we are Supreme beings?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Slightly different question and I don't know why some people think like this.
Humans as supreme beings! what a joke we are the scum of the earth, literally parasites feeding off the planet consuming it wholesale and everything on it. Extinction rates climbing all the time as we exterminate species after species, habitats dwindling and most of this at our expense (humans preying and living off each other, the few who run the show anyway)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Our creativity and artistry is what makes us distinctly human. It serves no natural function other than to express who we are rather than what we are. We also are unique in our burial rituals and our worship of and belief in a higher power.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
We distinguish ourselves form other animals, simply because we have the ability to do so.....simple as that.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
i think people have that capacity to be stewards of the planet other animals (except cetaceans, who share this ability) lack.

however, humans are animals, we have the same type of soul, and are far more similar to other animals than different.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Elephants linger around the sites of their dead and some 'seem' to enjoy painting. Some birds decorate their nests with rubbish we have produced - colour coordinated or shiny - this implies some appreciation of beauty does it not?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Originally said by Friday to Pep Streebeck in 'Dragnet'
There are two things that clearly differentiate the human species from animals. One, we use cutlery. Two, we're capable of controlling our sexual urges. Now, you might be an exception, but don't drag me down into your private Hell.

I always liked that line.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by noonebutme]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Chimps use sticks to get ants/termites/grubs out of logs often specially selected for shape - surely that would count as cutlery?

and I would suggest a lot of people can't control their sexual urges otherwise the prisons would not be so full of prisoners convicted of sexual crimes.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
This is an interesting post. The one thing I see in the animals is that they each maybe not all of them but they have at least one or two skills that far surpass man's natural capability. You know like built in GPS, smell, some have tremendous power like the hippo to ward off darn near any enemy. A hippo will nudge its baby in among the crocks and dare the crocks to fool with it. That kind of thing is beyond man's capabilities.

Man has the capability to communicate in ways that far surpass the animals though. Animals obviously communicate with body language and possibly telepathically.

Man has the ability to save the animals, the animals don't have the ability to save man. or do they?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
If you consider the spacial seperation of animals, as in no two animals are in the same place, in fact any life form, then there are no two life forms that are exactly the same. If you consider chemistry, then no two animals are structurally exactly the same

Long story short, humans are far more intelligent, and far wiser than any other animal on this planet. This is not saying animals are not intelligent or that they can't learn from experience. We just have a much greater capacity of these things.

Well a point can be made for chimps and (i think short term) memory... lol. Last I heard, they scored higher than the average college student.

Does this make us better? No. If there weren't trees, we couldn't breathe.

Could life on Earth go on without us? I'm sure a lot of plants would die of lack of CO2, but the answer is yes.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Well I believe we play a different role in society than animals. Given the theory that the Gods came to this planet found a homo- species qualified of intelligent capabilities and gave a mentality different that animals.

It kind of explains how even tho humans try to escape savagery through spirituality, religion, and science, our basic animalistic instincts always kick in..
Defending our property, Fighting in Tribes, impressing the Female by being stronger rather than smarter, Aggression, and worst of all !!DOMINANCE!!

and if genetic engineering isn't the case my answer still applies humans have spirituality our minds alone can seperate us from the animal kingdom, seeing if we can use them. it not that we're different but we're more advanced...

saying a lizard and a dinosaur "may be different only in size but in face are the same" is false in the sense that behavior and diet was different as well although they may be relatives, they are distant and irrelevant to eachother

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
If you're looking for a straight answer, you definitely will not find it here. On ATS, you get all the viewpoints.. you'll just get more confused

Here's an image of a gorilla using a stick: www.livescience.com...,+she+frequently+used +the+branch+in+her+right+hand+to+test+the+pool%EDs+depth.+Credit%3A+Thomas+Breuer/WCS/PLoS+Biology

And a little story about chimps making tools: www.washingtonpost.com...

My opinion on it isn't too clear, it seems to be that we're the only species stupid and smart enough at the same time to confuse ourselves with hypocritical and paradoxical constructs - but then again, I never took the time to sit down and chat with a dolphin.
I'm not sure about the beauty-thing too - of all creatures, we are the ones spending the least time appreciating the things of nature - instead, some of us might spend most of their lives indoors, behind some artificial light connected to a big board with buttons, or scribbling patterns on flattened sheets of tree.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The only conclusive differences are our habits and habitats. If you want to delve deeper in the question, on the level of differences between conciousness, you can't. The only experience you will have in this life is as a human, so, how will you ever be able to summarize the experiences of monkies, horses, or whales?

Whales are said to communicate, and lots of people study that, but I don't know of anyone that can actually speak whale or garnish any understanding of a whale's life experiences from their immense knowledge of whale sounds. For all we know, whales could be the most conciously dynamic lifeform on Earth, but we'll never really know because we won't experience life or conciousness as a whale does.

Reminds me of a Zen story. Paraphrased:

Seeing a fish swimming, I say, "Oh my, that fish is having a great time."
My friend replies, "How could you possibly know, you are not a fish?"
And I would rebut, "And you, my friend, are not me."

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I don't think we are any differant. Sure, we have reproduced to the the brim on this planet and we can make really fancy tools. Still, we have no idea what goes through the heads of animals.

Dolphins and Whales all decend from a land based horse like animal that existed LONG before our ancestors did. Given the nature of the ocean, they obviously would not have developed the same way we did. That doesn't even come close to saying that they are soulless instinct driven animals. In fact, if we can crack their language, I would imagine they could tell us a lot about the nature of the universe, living in peace, the structure of the ocean, and the impending destruction of the earth to make way for an interstellar bypass.

Remember, it is all about perspective. Someone further up said it best. Humans are differant only because we want it to be that way.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Animals don't kill for fun, only for food and survival.
Maybe humans are more aware of their surroundings and the bigger picture but I think the human ego would never accept that animals have similar attributes to our own.
This would open a whole can of worms, from the intensive farming to experimenting on them etc.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Couldn't find the right video but here's an article: www.gather.com... .. I have seen a video on National Geographic and it was pretty gruesome, like a gang murder, pounding on the other till he stops moving and then just walk away.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
Our creativity and artistry is what makes us distinctly human. It serves no natural function other than to express who we are rather than what we are. We also are unique in our burial rituals and our worship of and belief in a higher power.

I think there are others who appriciate beauty as we do...

Edit.. to insert this...

www.monpa.com...

[edit on 29-5-2009 by ImzadiDax]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Yeah, some animals will kill for revenge as well. Not sure if that is a necessarily a survival issue. Also, if you ever watched Meerkat Manner you might have picked this up, but lots of animals have a great sense of politics.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join