It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan general: Don't worry about our nukes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Pakistan general: Don't worry about our nukes

edition.cnn.com

The Pakistani army's main spokesman says the U.S. should stop worrying about his country's nuclear arsenal and start worrying about NATO weapons lost in Afghanistan ending up in Taliban hands.

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (CNN) -- The office of Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas has a bank of six flat-screen televisions covering most of one wall, showing all the main international English-language news channels, and several local ones besides.

I kid with him that CNN isn't among the channels on his screens, and he seems slightly hurt, insisting it is.

He's right and I'm wrong -- CNN was on a commercial break.

In fact, I rather get the impression Abbas, who has become the face of the army's operation against Taliban militants in the Swat Valley, watches our coverage closely. One of his subordinates complains about one of our reports -- not the accuracy, but something in the general tone. Perhaps CNN has been just a little too questioning of the army's daily press releases, which claim hundreds of enemy fighters killed, and tightly controlled media trips.

This is one of the rooms where Pakistan's media war is being fought, and Abbas, the Pakistan army's main spokesman, is a key part of the battle.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Piranha]

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Piranha]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

He also conspiratorially suggests they also are getting weapons and support from "foreign intelligence agencies."

When I ask what that means, he smiles and says he can't elaborate -- declining to repeat the speculation in the press here that India, Pakistan's traditional rival, may be somehow involved in stirring up trouble on Pakistan's northwestern border.

India denies that.

Sorry if this topic has already been posted, if so moderators feel free to remove this

Piranha

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

join