It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Cop Killed in Friendly Fire Shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   

NYPD Cop Killed in Friendly Fire Shooting

www.foxnews.com

NEW YORK — Police say a New York City police officer who had just gotten off work was shot and killed by a fellow officer while chasing a suspect who had broken into his car.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
This is still under investigation.. and rightly so.

The officer that was shot and killed gets the bad luck of having his car broken into, then pursues the suspect on foot with his gun drawn.

While he was running he was immediately shot bu another plainclothes officer... That's what gets me.

No identification, halt, freeze or anything. The officer just gets out of the car and fires 6 times.

Just another officer that sees an opportunity to fire his weapon at another person with one? Getting out and immediately unloading on someone makes me lean that way.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Wow.. sounds like yet another inside job and police brutality...With the cops beating up paramedics , shooting co-operative military men, and killing each other... Man just how long can a nation in this state last? 5 bucks says we'll be in open rebellion by winter of this year...

Glad I live in the boonies far away from any Super Pyscho cops....

Its a big pink elephant I'm telling you.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
The news article doesn't even mention the name of the murderer. I hate how the media always protects a cop automatically.

I suspect, based solely on the victim's name and perpetrator's the lack of any identification, that the crime has the potential to be a race related black-eye for the city. I imagine that right now important people are meeting up with other important people to make sure that this issue can be covered-up as fairly as possible.

Jon

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
My browser won't open the link, just keeps grinding away like the servers under a lot strain... Guess I'll have to wait awhile to read Fox's version of the story.

If it is a case of white cop kills black cop without warning then this could get messy...

If you were running after a thief with your gun out wouldn't you be yelling "Stop! Police!" or something like that? To early to tell what really happened.

Flag for you!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
And the govt is worried about the people who own guns using them recklessly.
Its because of thiskind of abuse that makes me glad that we had the forfathers we had. They saw all of this comming, yet a hundred years down the line, people still are not learning from it.
Now if my car were being broken into, I would have done the same thing. That cop that got shot was probably one of the good ones, but we will never know because of the bad one. Like an above poster stated, no freeze, hault, who goes there? NOTHING. Just shoot first ask questions later.
If it was a civilian that did that, the entire police force would have been on them like white on rice. How is the Police Department going to justify this one? it is a little easier to justify it when it is just a pesky civilian, but now that it involves another officer, they are really stuck between a colt and a winchester. Dirty oinkers ruin the image of all cops, even the good ones.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I completely agree with your assessment CG.

As for some of the other replies, honestly when posting the story I had not thought of the race side of this story. I try not to think that way in daily life.

But it is true, this could get very ugly if it was a white officer that was involved in the shooting, and it would be a serious black-eye for the city.

This will be handled delicately but quickly to try to get it out of the public eye.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

It could be race related, but I am not so sure that it is. Regardless if it is or isnt, a man is dead because of another mans stupidity. They were in Harlem afterall, and I am sure black cops in Harlem isnt an uncommon thing, so I dont know how far that race card will go. If you ask me, its just another trigger happy cop that needs to be locked up in general population. Just because they have a badge that doesnt make them any less of a murderer when it comes down to it. he is supposed to enforce the law, and anyone who enforces the law, should lead by example by following the laws. Cops badge doesnt make you anymore of a God over the next guy. Its sad that so many think that it does though.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This is not friendly fire. The officer fired six shots directly at him. Friendly fire means it was an accident-this is a matter of one man INTENDING to kill another.

The officer fired six shots at a man who had not fired a single one.

Maybe this will bring to light the fact that "shoot first, ask questions later" is not the best policy.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
This is not friendly fire. The officer fired six shots directly at him. Friendly fire means it was an accident-this is a matter of one man INTENDING to kill another.

The officer fired six shots at a man who had not fired a single one.

Maybe this will bring to light the fact that "shoot first, ask questions later" is not the best policy.

Yes, but he had his gun drawn. Why wait until a suspect fires?
Even one shot fired could mean the death of an innocent bystander.
He saw a man with a gun, and shot him.

However you bring up a good point of how how he decided to fire instantly without hesitation (as well as others). I think that could signal that they need better training standards, in making judgement with such a scenario.
The city of NYC has been recruiting BIG TIME, especially since 911.
Are they training new recruits adequately?
This is what it seems to me.
Bad judgement by a rookie cop. 6 shots!

This did happen in a sketchy part of town. (btw)

Titorite, why jump to quick conclusions and assume this was an "inside job" and police brutality and that all cops are "Super Psycho."
without any facts to back up your claim. C'mon.

You're replicating this cop's judgement in theory, quickly firing your guns.

I saw this coming before I even started to read the story.

Not all cops are bad.

They're people with families, just like me and you, and fair to say their job is dangerous. Most cops serve the community well.
Are there cases of morons abusing their authority. Absolutely.

More of a tragic accident than anything. I feel sorry for the cop who was shot. Really, tragic.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben Niceknowinya

Yes, but he had his gun drawn. Why wait until a suspect fires?
Even one shot fired could mean the death of an innocent bystander.
He saw a man with a gun, and shot him.

However you bring up a good point of how how he decided to fire instantly without hesitation (as well as others). I think that could signal that they need better training standards, in making judgement with such a scenario.
The city of NYC has been recruiting BIG TIME, especially since 911.
Are they training new recruits adequately?
This is what it seems to me.
Bad judgement by a rookie cop. 6 shots!

This did happen in a sketchy part of town. (btw)

Thing is, as of right now it looks like these officers didn't even identify themselves as police. If it's a concern about bystanders, how can six shots fired at a moving target be justified? That is FAR more dangerous than aman holding a gun.

The article in CNN states that he stepped out of his cruiser and immediately opened fire. How exactly can he determine that the man is a threat if he didnt even wait until they were giving chase?

As for the part of town, that is really irrelevant. Police are there to protect the innocent. It shouldnt matter where it is.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

You're right on this one Cautious. Star 4 u.
Infact, getting out of the car and instantly firing 6 shots, without identifying himself as police CLEARLY is bad judgement.

You're also right about the irrelevance of where it is, considering his duty is to protect the innocent. Well said. can't argue that.

However, shootings are frequent in that part of town.

So who's to blame?

I blame the cop who fired 6 shots, for bad judgement.

But I wonder WHY this had to happened. I think that with all the jacked up recruiting in the city of New York, hurrying to put badges and uniforms on people, perhaps have had more of the flaw in properly training these recruits in similar situations.

I hope it serves as a wake up call, and an effort is made to keep things like this from happening again.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

top topics

join