It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are living in a computer simulation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
www.simulation-argument.com...

This article really made me think and for my 1st ever thread, i thought i'd get your thoughts on the above article

peas x

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I think we quite possibly could be in a simulation. This topic has fascinated me since "The Matrix". I think when we look to the stars there is nothing there, it appears to be there, our instruments see it, but at a certain point (maybe past our solar system) everything stops and we merely think it continues via a simulated illusion. Very much in the same way a videogame gives the appearance of space and depth of our character standing in front of a building but behind it is nothing.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Then I guess Evolution is just when they upgrade something to 2.0

Amirite?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
The only problem with this is that what if those looney americans find out ways to manipulate that reality knowing the truth. Murderers and torturers should not have access to that knowledge should they?

Yep i think we do live in one, as our brain is a receiver and transmitter, and probably our mind is outside of our head, and we just use our brain to access it.

Imagine what the scum running this world would do with this info if they knew how to manipulate it all.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons
Then I guess Evolution is just when they upgrade something to 2.0

Amirite?

And God is some nerd sat behind a computer

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
There's alot of into on this.

It's with the assumption that consciousness is the only fundamental reality, and reality is just data/information at it's core.

Google:

Thomas Campbell (My Big TOE)
Jim Elvidge (The universe solved)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

He's an Sims Fan.

Lets just be glad he aint playing Jericho or deadSpace or Necrovision...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by tobiascore

You MUST check out Chuck Missler on YouTube, he talks about Alot of stuff.. Love that guy ....Little mix of Bible and Reality Kind'a guy..

[edit on 29-5-2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
This is not a far fetch theory as one might think. Check out Dr. Thomas Campbell, a physicist who has worked with Nasa and the DoD in regards to his Big theory of everything, "My Big Toe" is the name of his trilogy.

He clearly defines our physical matter reality as a virtual simulation in a digital universe that is defined by the digital nature of consciousness. I bought the trilogy and read it front to back in one very long day.

Some of the most fascinating views of our reality system as a whole, and much of it I already have experienced so it summed up nicely from personal expeirence as well as theory.

Welcome to the Matrix!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Everyone feels that there is something 'not right' with reality and the life / death cycle, but no one can put their finger on it.

Movies like the Matrix have pushed imaginations into the simulated reality direction. For good or worse, I don't know.

All I know is that there is more to reality than we know, and that we will probably never figure out what that strange feeling is.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
It's my opinion that the premise of this Matrix/Computer Sim Reality is complete poppycock!

Like many of the theories that litter this forum, none of them were really talked about until Hollywood made a science fiction movie. Then all of a sudden people are talking about it as though it's real. I remember doing that stuff when i was a little kid but thankfully I grew up.

It's fun to imagine a world where these science fiction concepts are true, it's healthy to exercise imagination... and I'm sure we all do it after a movie - but having said that, some people really don't know when to let go of it, or when they've gone that step too far.

Philosophy isn't a scientific study into the nature of reality, it's chasing free form though to it's ultimate end.

The irony of those that may believe we live in a computer simulation is that they have just created their own fake matrix and chosen to live in the lie.

IRM

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
It's my opinion that the premise of this Matrix/Computer Sim Reality is complete poppycock!

Like many of the theories that litter this forum, none of them were really talked about until Hollywood made a science fiction movie. Then all of a sudden people are talking about it as though it's real. I remember doing that stuff when i was a little kid but thankfully I grew up.

It's fun to imagine a world where these science fiction concepts are true, it's healthy to exercise imagination... and I'm sure we all do it after a movie - but having said that, some people really don't know when to let go of it, or when they've gone that step too far.

Philosophy isn't a scientific study into the nature of reality, it's chasing free form though to it's ultimate end.

The irony of those that may believe we live in a computer simulation is that they have just created their own fake matrix and chosen to live in the lie.

IRM

Actually the writers of The Matrix ripped off theories of a VR that were already in circulation.

Research a bit more! You're could learn something mindblowing.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I do believe that it's a matter of perception InfaRedMan.

Take for example your brain, and compare it to a computer. You will find that the human brain acts like a computer, has digital properties and functions at a quantum level.

Stuart Hammerhoff breaks down the nature of the biological brain into its quantum states coming up with a model of Quantum Consciousness. His research proves for fact that microtubules in the brain enter a quantum dipole, and that photons are observed as part of the communication matrix.

The human brain itself is a massive reality parser and simulator. It takes in sensory data, pushes the information to various "rendering" engines to create the audio, visual etc.

Think about light, your brain is encased in pure blackness and has no way to know what light is, or even looks like. Yet in your mind, you have this amazing vivid view of reality which is lit up according to the levels of light in the room.

That very light you are observing is a simulation, it's not real. It is just a controlled form of hallucination based on sensory stimuli. It is just rendered data. Close your eyes and poof, all that visual information disappears.

The reason why we can now chose a computer simulation metaphor is because we have a technological reference point by which to advanced metaphorical theory based on how we are interpreting our reality.

From my perspective, coming from a long history of dreaming and other altered states of consciousness related experiences, I have observed the virtual nature of reality time and time again.

Nothing points this out to me louder then having a dream from the depths of my sleep, suddenly coming true one day. That deja vu like phenomena which is actually quite common starts to help build a new model of how reality works in relationship to consciousness.

In the end, consciousness is all that ever existed, and we are all parts of one super consciousness system which defines *all* reality.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

IRM

did you read the article or are you just responding to the replies

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I had a theory that we are one of 1,000's of simulations owned and operated by various corporations. For example say in the real world there is a car company called AUDI. They build a global simulation, seed their brand into the simulation then profit off of designs and innovation that occur in the simulation. Same with a drug company.. let's have a global simulation.. inject viruses.. watch the simulated humans develop novel therapies then use that technology in the real world. We may be nothing but a form of product development!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   

You are living in a computer simulation

I hope the program isn't Microsoft.

Mind you - if it was, that would explain a lot...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

I'm responding to a wealth of articles and threads. Just because I disagree with the theory doesn't mean I don't read. That would be ignorant! No?

IRM

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming

The human brain itself is a massive reality parser and simulator. It takes in sensory data, pushes the information to various "rendering" engines to create the audio, visual etc.

While I agree that the brain parses information. It's usually to separate the important bits from the not so important bits... such as I see the silhouette of 1000 tree's and shrubs... or I know the tree's are there without having to acknowledge every single one.. but most importantly I see the silhouette of a Sabre Tooth coming my way.

Not only is it a mechanism of our fight and flight reaction but it also saves us from being overwhelmed by too much non critical data. This has less to do with parsing reality than it has to do with parsing for the sake of economy and efficiency.

IRM

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

You cannot tell us that, just look at the sims game. Just imagine in a hundred years or so, what sort of thing computers will be doing with that game, than in a thousand years.

If you do not think it is possible you are wrong. The brain has been proved to be a transmitter and receiver.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
If you do not think it is possible you are wrong. The brain has been proved to be a transmitter and receiver.

Anything is possible. But what/where exactly is the proof that our universe is nothing more than a matrix? - and how far is this 'theory' supposed to take us?

Oh, and What exactly does this have to do with Aliens & UFOs?

Regards,

[edit on 29/5/09 by Majorion]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join