It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What a shambles: Veterans blame Brown as Palace says it's too late for ANY royals to attend D-Day a

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

What a shambles: Veterans blame Brown as Palace says it's too late for ANY royals to attend D-Day anniversary in France

www.dailymail.co.uk

Not one member of the Royal Family will be present at next week's D-Day 65th anniversary commemorations in France, Buckingham Palace finally confirmed yesterday.
After weeks of confusion, Royal officials conceded that it was now simply too late to organise a visit to Normandy next Saturday - even if the French were to issue a last-minute formal invitation to the Queen.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This one just seemsed bizarre to me. How do you not invite the Queen of the United Kingdom to the D Day memorial observance. Forget thet the UK and the Commonwealth provided half the soldiers and the launchpad for the invasion itself. The Queen is actually the only head of state alive that served in the forces back then. This is very much an unforgivable snub.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I was really shocked when I heard this this morning. Amongst heads of state, you'd think the Queen or at least a Royal representative would have been the first on the list to send an invitation to.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I actually had a huge laughing fit over this. Not because I think it's funny, but because I think it's horribly sad.

Someone is going to get fired.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I could give a crap who snubs the Queen of England! The last thing we need to be doing is protecting the elite that do nothing but leech the public. We actually take these things personally as if they were anything more than a reaffirmation of your subservience to those who are "just better than you".

Slavery is such a subtle thing.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Really has nothing to do with how much money that the royals "leech" it has to do with how you treat a present head of state who was actually serving in the forces during those times. This isnt just a snub to the Queen its a snub to all the UK and Commonwealth soldiers who participated.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Ah yes slavery for finding it odd that they forgot to invite the head of state whose country was the training and staging ground for the Normandy Invasion.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Oh please, it was a scheduling error! That's the problem with these people, they don't accept humans making mistakes. They are so used to everything at their command that having something NOT happen when they wish is intolerable..And they have the public convinced that their particular ideosyncracies are of top concern as if the nation didn't have better things to worry about like skyrocketing unemployment, and massive debt.

We have the same problem here. Propaganda works exactly the same in every country, by repetition, false outrage, and pretty words. It's called distraction. What else happened today that was more important to you? I guarantee there was something going on in the UK when this little tidbit leaked out and it'll be gone by this time next week, but whatever they're covering up won't matter by then either.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Not enough time? I say she should just crash the festivities and speak only German to any French dignitary that dares to address her.

Crass? You betcha, but would you expect any thing less from a Yank?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

President Sarkozy's officials caused anger in Britain earlier this week when they admitted they had never planned to invite the Queen, and described the entire programme of events as 'very much a Franco-American occasion' centred on Barack Obama's visit to the U.S. invasion beaches - Utah and Omaha

Seems to be a bit more than a scheduling error to me.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Ya see that's not any different. France is kissing major Obama butt. It's disgusting!. And they will use the visit for all it's worth here. It should get the guy another percentage point or two.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I'd kick the monarchy out the country if it were up to me.I care more about hoovering my room than any of their kin.As for d-day,id rather respect the soldiers not some distant,elitist figurehead.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Despite the fact that we enjoy the idea that the Royals are a bunch of event addicted robots, they pretty much hate going to these occassions (which is annoying since that's what they get paid for)

On the news I heard that they'd made a statement saying they were "happy" with the arrangement, that Brown would be filling in. I bet he's overjoyed at the prospect.

new topics

top topics

join