It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I make a thread about another conspiracy wiki?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I stumbled upon a wiki for conspiracies - although we have our brilliant TinWiki, I thought some might enjoy an additional source. So I started to write a thread about it, just a simple link and a quote explaining it's nature. But I remembered something in the T&C about sollicitation:

1e.)
[..]
iii) You will not post, use the chat feature or use the private message system to solicit members of The Above Network, LLC on behalf of another message board, online community or competitor. You will not attempt to use your membership to encourage or lure other members in any way to other websites or discussion boards in competition with The Above Network, LLC. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

Of course I don't want to risk immediate termination of my account
so I originally completely discarded the thought of posting about it. For semantic comparison I read the simplified T&C, which states:

1e.) Recruitment/Solicitation: You won't gather personal info of members for any reason.

.. which got me confused .. purely for the purpose of information, it would be a good thread, and I wouldn't be gathering information at all (since I'm not affiliated with the wiki in question). But I would be posting about a different community (since a wiki always offers the option to sign up).

So, what am I to do here? I feel like ATS should have it mentioned somewhere, because it's just a closely related source of information.. Would I violate the T&C if I posted it?

P.S. Yes, I know our TinWiki is so awesome that a teenie weenie other wiki can never harm the ATS community, but I'm scared ;p

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Flagged because I would be interested to know the answer to this.

Question:

Are you personally involved with this wiki or is it something that you just happened to find? I would think that may make a difference. You know, where intent is concerned.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I think we should have a series of debates on such a question scraze.

If you like we could have a round table discussion in chat then try mutter as a sounding board where as people could just pop in and give their point of view on a few aspects of your request.

Then you could of posed this question.

How do you feel about this ?

...of course you started this thread already so...
...any advocacy on my part is mute.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

Ha, glad to know it's not silly to wonder about this :] Nope, I'm in no way related to the wiki in question. I just stumbled upon it (while looking for a list of proven conspiracies), did a search here on ATS and found no mention of it whatsoever..

reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

I guess we could, but I really think we need to start a poll on whether the mutterBox is more adequate as a sounding board than the chatbox, otherwise we might end up spending more time than necessary. If you do not agree, please send me a quadruple-stamped letter with the results of an enquete that shows a poll is not the best way to look at opinions.
[/insidejoke]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by scraze
So, what am I to do here? I feel like ATS should have it mentioned somewhere, because it's just a closely related source of information.. Would I violate the T&C if I posted it?

I hope (and believe) this would not be considered a breach of the relevant Terms and Conditions.

I'm a believer in the potential of Tinwiki (and/or other wikis) to reduce the considerable amount of reinvention of the wheel that occurs in relation to ufology and other "alternative" topics - so would welcome threads on ATS which mention any such sources.

Indeed, I have previously posted on ATS about various wikis (including Tinwiki) and also mentioned other (arguably competing) discussion forums.

For example, in my "Free UFO Researcher Starter Pack thread" I included a section on UFO discussion forums and in my Free 9/11 Researcher Starter Pack thread I included a section on various relevant wikis (not just Tinwiki).

I worried about the point that troubles you, but mentioning those sources did not result in my being banned or sanctioned in any way.

In fact, the 9/11 thread is a pinned thread in the relevant forum on ATS (and the UFO thread was pinned until relatively recently).

By the way, if anyone reading this thread is interested in wikis relating to conspiracy theories they should at least have a glance at the wiki associated with ATS (“Tinwiki”) and consider editing an existing article (or adding a new entry - and gain up to 10,000 ATS points in the process...). I have previously stated that I consider the Tinwiki to have the potential to become a useful (free) resource available to members of ATS and the wider conspiracy theory community. I’ve sought to encourage participation on the Tinwiki on the Tinwiki page I created here, which also gives some links to some help for beginners.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

What's this Isaac?!

Oh my I'll have to ban you immediately, if not sooner!

Seriously though...

Post your thread and include a link, it's totally relevant to our topical content and, if done right, could be a good asset to our community/membership.

The TAC is in place to avoid those who would spam sites they are involved with to build traffic off our traffic which took several years and hundreds of thousands of dollars to build.

While the rules do seem pretty prohibitive, we have always welcomed links to relevant content from honest agents (like Isaac).

Springer...

top topics

join