It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States consider cutting drug help for seniors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

States consider cutting drug help for seniors

www.heraldonline.com

The financial crisis has grown so severe that lawmakers in Rhode Island and five other states have debated whether to cut or reduce the state funding that helps seniors and disabled people like Devlin buy their drugs.

Devlin, 62, who lives off about $10,000 a year, worries she may need to stop taking her arthritis medication to make ends meet. She stocks shelves and helps distribute food as a volunteer at a Salvation Army food shelter.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Meanwhile bankers, and rich people keep getting bailed out, and trillions of dollars are being unnacounted for, common U.S. citizens are finding out that the government is not going to help them in this crisis.

Now Rhode Island, and 5 other states are even considering stopping the help that seniors get for their drug prescriptions.

www.heraldonline.com

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I am one of the people that would be effected by this, but thankfully NY has decided to continue the program here. My medication is about $1000 a month and I would not be able to afford that, considering I live on about $700 a month.

I am so tired of these so called leaders of ours putting the needs of people behind the needs of millionaires, bankers, and Wall Street. This whole system needs to be torn the hell down.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
S&F

Very interesting, considering the looming pandemic - not to mention the global financial crisis.

Let them eat cake?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Meanwhile bankers, and rich people keep getting bailed out, and trillions of dollars are being unnacounted for, common U.S. citizens are finding out that the government is not going to help them in this crisis.

Now Rhode Island, and 5 other states are even considering stopping the help that seniors get for their drug prescriptions.

www.heraldonline.com

Yes, this has been on my mind for awhile. Why do the corrupt corporations get bailouts while states and their citizens go broke. Worse, why do the states then decide to cut funding for drug benefits, pensions, etc... Is it merely because the corrupt politicians get corrupt "money" from corrupt businessmen, all at our expense? I guess that the professional politicians are aware that they can expect campaign contributions back from these funds...

The math is getting a little out of hand for my tiny brain but me thinks that if there are 350 million people in the USA and approximately 3 trillion in bailouts has been handed out then that is a little more than 8 thousand dollars per person. Just imagine what a family of 4 could do with an additional 32k. I guess the risk is that we just might figure out it was best to buy back our freedom by paying our debts and you just can't have that in a consumption based economy, right?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

Now $8000 a person would darn sure stimulate the economy! How simple but of course we are the common man and they are the smart ones.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

Yup RedHead, preaching to the choir, as it were. It would do wonders! I think back to an old (maybe) adage that "freedom is not free". Well, for me, it might not be free. I can accept that for sure, but it is the interest that I have a problem with.

new topics

top topics

join