It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uncle Sam Denying Soldiers Citizenship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Uncle Sam Denying Soldiers Citizenship

us.oneworld.net

Loopholes in immigration policy are preventing U.S. military personnel from becoming citizens even after years of service to the country, ...

..."The reason I joined the military is because I love the country - what it has done for me - and I want to participate. I want to vote but I can't. It's like I got out and I was forgotten," explains Rene from Atlanta, a former U.S. marine who, after eight years of service, has struggled to obtain U.S. citizenship.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.civilrights.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Back from Iraq, soldier could be deported
non US citizens in the US military

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Just doesn't seem right, does it?

Worse, the US government is actively recruiting immigrants for the armed forces by promising citizenship. But immigration policies prevent the government from fulfilling such contractual obligations.

"Without the contributions of immigrants, the military could not meet its recruiting goals and could not fill the need for foreign-language translators, interpreters, and cultural experts," writes Wendy Sefsaf of the Immigration Policy Center, which researches the effects of immigration on the U.S. economy and society. "Since 2001, 47,500 service members have naturalized and become U.S. citizens in ceremonies around the world." Despite these numbers, Sefsaf notes, the country is falling short of its goals.

And the bureaucratic obstacles in obtaining citizenship are preventing family members from accessing immigration benefits, keeping family members out of the United States altogether, and in some cases causing the deportation of military personnel or their family members, said attorney and Lieutenant Colonel Margaret D. Stock in Congressional testimony last May, according to a report from Sefsaf.

Earlier this year, the U.S. military launched a recruiting effort promising expedited citizenship to "temporary immigrants" -- those living in the United States a minimum of two years -- who join the armed forces, reported the New York Times.

Sure seems like a nasty scam.

What's the right thing to do here?

us.oneworld.net

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This is *&^%$%#&! That is one of the long standing perks of serving this country! This is NOT right.
Just more in a long line off mistreating our vets...citizens or not.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is interesting I have to admit being in the Army and it does bring some concern. Most of the immigration law changes we've had in these past few years have been focused more on the illegal immigration issue and barring terrorists (suspected and/or proven). I do think it is time we had some updates in the current immigration law so we can at least allow these deserving individuals the chance to become fully fledged citizens.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yeah, more crap for my brother to deal with. He's in Iraq now. We're Costa Ricans with Cuban parents here on their political asylum. Hell we were brought here. I hope they don't screw him out of citizenship, we've given a lot to be Americans.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
this is a much deeper problem then just citizenship for soldiers.
this problem is a major problem of bureaucratic infighting between government agencies that is prevalent throughout government.
It damages the economy and the way the people in the US view there own government.

This is another case of one government agency trying to do right by soldiers (US military)
And another agency that for bureaucratic reasons screwing with the same people.(INS)

These cases should be taken from the INS and put into a military run agency to process there citizenship and cover the rights of there families.

This bureaucratic infighting between government agencies has caused many problems for the people of the US and for companies in the US. and the economy of the US.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I don't believe his story. It is possible for a non US citizen to serve an initial enlistment without becoming a citizen. However, you CANNOT re-enlist without getting citizenship. Having served eight years, as he claims, means he had to have re-enlisted. Something isn't jiving here.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

That's not true. My brother is not yet a citizen and he re-enlisted for 5 more years. I'm not sure where you're getting your information, it may depend on the persons status, I'm not 100% on it either.

MBF

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
In my opinion, if they are willing to fight and die for this country, they deserve to be citizens automatically. Another line.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I got my information from being in the military for 23 years and working for them for the last 7. I'm not discounting your brother's story but something just isn't quite right.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

I don't know if you watched the video at the end or not, but i don't think he re-enlisted. He said he served four years active duty and followed with four in the reserves, wouldn't that mean that he joined for that amount of time in the reserves from the beginning ? I've never been in the military so i don't know the number of years you are able to sign up for at one time, but my ex was in the army reserves and he served two years active duty followed by two years of reserves.

I believe that any legal immigrant that serves their country is entitled to citizenship.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
The 4 years of reserves is a part of the deal. It is mandatory to be on the inactive reserve. Individual ready reserve or active reserve are options and voluntary. That's probably why he didn't have to re-enlist.

This is pretty childish. Why make soldiers go through all of this crap when most of the lawmakers are fighting to get legal status for those that enter the country illegally?

Why support the criminals and marginalize the patriots?

[edit on 28-5-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Well what is the loophole preventing him from his accelerated citizenship for serving in the armed forces ?

Also he should apply for VA benefits. As long as you're honorably discharged, I don't think it matters if you're a US citizen.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I didn't know non citizens could be in American military!!
I disagree with that and I definately disagree with the extended families of any non citizens being here because of it .
America has too many non citizens as it is ...
However if a non citizen has served, then a definate acceleration of citizenship should be offered along with wife/hubby and any children Only.
NOT extended family at all .

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Sure seems like a nasty scam.

What's the right thing to do here?

us.oneworld.net

The right thing to do is for the people to wake up and realise that in order to stop this kind of nonsense is to not join the military, let the generals and politicians pick up the guns and go to the frontlines for a change instead of telling the civilians to 'join up' with vague promises or citizenship or rewards.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
so you're good enough to fight and die for the country but not good enoiugh to be a part of it.

what kind of scumbag goes looking for a legal loophole to deny a veteran citizenship? a loophole suggests it isn't the pirit of the law that's the issue but some messy wording.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
When a non citizen signs up for American military isn't there a form to sign saying anything about becoming a citizen when their tour of duty is over?
Seems like there should be something so people know where they stand from the beginning. I know I wouldn't sign up to go fight if I didn't have some kind of signed confirmation of future citizenship first.
excerpt:
"The move gave foreign-born military personnel the option to apply for citizenship on their first day of active duty".
Didn't they apply?

[edit on 29-5-2009 by AmericanDaughter]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanDaughter
... isn't there a form to sign saying anything about becoming a citizen when their tour of duty is over?
Seems like there should be something so people know where they stand from the beginning. ...foreign-born military personnel the option to apply for citizenship on their first day of active duty".
Didn't they apply?

It's inter-government tangles - not the fault of the foreign-born military personnel.

Anned explained it best I think, above.

FROM ANNED

this problem is a major problem of bureaucratic infighting between government agencies that is prevalent throughout government.
It damages the economy and the way the people in the US view there own government.

This is another case of one government agency trying to do right by soldiers (US military)
And another agency that for bureaucratic reasons screwing with the same people.(INS)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Hmmm, Your parents are Cubans and gave birth to you in
Costa Rica, i would talk to a lawyer. If your parents are Cuban, you may have special priviledges from the Kennedy era. Of course i dont know when your parents came to this country. I would still check into it.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Thanks dg. Good advice.

In general, the fact is that the US federal government made a deal with foreign born people - US military service in exchange for citizenship. And it continues to promote the deal, knowing it won't be honored as promised.

...Something should be done.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join