It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US, SKorea militaries gird for NKorean provocation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
reply to post by Electro38

North Korea sure is not in a position to do to much on their own except launch what in essence would be one formidable human wave attack, which because of how the troops are deployed basically facing each other over a few miles of no man's land that is heavily mined and full of anti-personal, anti-tank, and anti-vehicle traps laid there by both sides they wouldn't need much prep other that to sound the bell.

Honestly when you are talking about a million plus even half starved, emaciated men, who are none the less armed with bullet spewing AK-47's that's not really a scenario air power, and artillery alone can deal with. It would be bloody and messy, and the 35,000 Americans stationed on the border would likely be toast.

Everyone knows that no matter how many soldiers you have with guns it would be suicide to go up against the US. It doesn't matter that they have a lot of troops because we wouldn't engage them in that fashion. I mean in that old fashion way of battling on the field as in WWII or Vietnam. The fact that they have a lot of troops is meaningless.

In that fictitious scenario We would see any preparations of an invasion on SoKo and stop it right away.

That's besides the point anyway. A conflict between the US and NoKo will not happen, China would not allow it.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

It is my sincere hope that we sit back and do nothing and let someone else deal with it for once. If North Korea does launch nukes like they've threatened though, we may not have a choice in the matter. Whether they have the capability to hit the US from there or not really doesn't matter, regardless the effects would be felt world-wide and I can see the majority of the world smacking North Korea down if they launched a nuke. We've seen how much devastation one of those can cause and I don't see many countries sitting back and doing nothing if that were to happen.

But, NoKo was just able to blow up a nuke underground a few days ago. That's a long way from being able to put a nuke on a missile. I believe there is a lot more tech development needed to get to that point, and they're not there yet.

We can see all the things they do, we see whenever they prepare to do anything. If they tried to launch a missile with a nuke on it we would see it being prepared well in advance. It would be suicide for them to try something that dumb.

If we saw them mobilizing, getting ready to advance on SoKo, we would see it happening well in advance.

They (NoKo) must know we can see all of that happening before it happens. So they're either suicidal or putting on a grand display, a show.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Electro38]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Everyone knows that no matter how many soldiers you have with guns it would be suicide to go up against the US. It doesn't matter that they have a lot of troops because we wouldn't engage them in that fashion. I mean in that old fashion way of battling on the field as in WWII or Vietnam. The fact that they have a lot of troops is meaningless.

You don't tug on Superman's cape...
you don't spit into the wind...
you don't pull the mask of the old Lone Ranger...
and you don't mess around with Jim!

1971 Jim Groce, died on a plane crash along with Roberto Clemente the All Star Outfielder of the Pittsburgh Pirates on their way to battered Puerto Rico to do Hurrican relief.

The first Korean War was tough, it's why it ended in a truce.

Vietnam did not work out extremely well for 65,000 Americans but we did see some Buddist Monks pour gasoline on themselves and commit suicide.

The North Korean citizens don't shop in 7-Elevens or read Play Boys op-ed pieces, they do what their dictators tell them, and you might want to actually study how the troops are deployed over there, and the topography of the battlefield and where they face each other...

Oh and buy Jim Groce's Best Hits, you seem to like singing that song!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

They just had a missile launch on Monday. It's not that big of a leap from having a nuke and a missile to having a nuke on a missile. No matter how much we can see it still takes some time to get the military organized and prepared and send them somewhere. If we were to see them preparing a missile with a nuke attached right now, it would take a day or two at the very least to get more soldiers on the ground nearby. Granted I have no clue how long it takes to attach a nuke to a missile, but it's entirely possible that they could have one launched before we had time to prevent it if they were determined to get it launched.

I hope they aren't that determined, and I hope it never goes that far, but I'd say they have the capability since they are using that as their threat if they feel provoked.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I love Jim Croce too. In my humble opinion, I believe no matter what happens there can't be any US boots on the ground there. If anything there would be planes, bombs, drones, battleships with missiles and support for SoKo. That's all I can imagine.

If it were going to be an old fashioned ground battle as in WWII or Vietnam, there would be big problems for the US, or whoever is doing the fighting. But I believe the opposing side would not engage NoKo in that way.

But that's just my opinion.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Normally I would agree, but it just seems like a bad idea to take out a nuke with a bomb, missile, or by shooting at it.. If North Korea were preparing to launch one there would have to be ground forces to disable it. If we blow it up then it's just going to kill people in North Korea as opposed to where ever they were planning to launch it to.

Someone correct me of course if I'm wrong, but if you shoot at a nuke or drop a missile or bomb on it that nuke is going to blow right? Or am I completely off on how those things work?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Korean Central News Agency. "A minor accidental skirmish can lead to a nuclear war."

Im sorry, but this is why nations such as NK, and Iran have no buisness carrying nukes. As soon as they get them they threaten to use them against anyone who looks at them wrong.
Why dont people see this? These nations are unstable, its like giving a crackhead 10 rocks and a rocket launcher.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

What does Iran have to do with this? thats right nothing,stop comparing Iran which is stable,prosperous country to N.Korea,its ridiculous and juvenile.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

They just had a missile launch on Monday. It's not that big of a leap from having a nuke and a missile to having a nuke on a missile. No matter how much we can see it still takes some time to get the military organized and prepared and send them somewhere. If we were to see them preparing a missile with a nuke attached right now, it would take a day or two at the very least to get more soldiers on the ground nearby.

From what I understand it takes a lot more tech development to get from exploding a crude nuke underground and then being able to put one on a missile.

Also, remember they've just been able to shoot off their missiles successfully. They had some big problems just a couple of years ago.
And their first nuke didn't really explode so good.

So the're just getting started in all of this, have a way to go before becoming a real threat to anyone besides SoKo and Japan.

We wouldn't need to send soldiers there. We already have 28,000 there, and most of hat we do wouldn't be real ground fighting. Maybe it would take some time to get our ships over there, but in a way we already have ships there, the SoKo ships.

But, really nothing is going to happen.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
For all of you who think that this is not the United States' problem, you people have zero understanding of foreign relations and policies.

The Republic of Korea maintains diplomatic relations with more than 170 countries and a broad network of trading relationships. The United States and Korea are allied by the 1953 Mutual Defense Treaty.
www.state.gov...

Countries have obligations to each other when they sign treaties. If North Korea attacks South Korea, under the 1953 Mutual Defense Treaty the United States MUST defend their ally.

Although a military role for Japan in international affairs is highly constrained by its constitution and government policy, Japanese cooperation with the United States through the 1960 U.S.-Japan Security Treaty has been important to the peace and stability of East Asia. In recent years, there have been domestic discussions about possible reinterpretation or revision of Article 9 of the Japanese constitution. All postwar Japanese governments have relied on a close relationship with the United States as the foundation of their foreign policy and have depended on the Mutual Security Treaty for strategic protection.
www.state.gov...

After WWII, Japan never rebuilt their military to anything more than a small defense force. They rely on the United States for protection, and our Treaties with them obligate the United States to defend Japan.

This is the US's problem. It is something that Obama MUST deal with no matter how distasteful it may be for Him.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Im sorry?
I didnt compare anyone with anyone.
I STATED that BOTH countries are acting like (@#@#@#@ idiots).
They both do whatever they want whenever they want, thinking that they dont have to answer to anyone.
Its either A..Iran on the front page of the newspaper
Or its B.NK on the front page of the newspapers.
They are like the two evil step children that love to be the Nations that are constantly giving the world the middle finger.
How many countries are on this planet? And yet these two are always fighting to be on the top as most hated.
Maybe we should give them their milk bottles back, I dont think they have been weemed yet.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Normally I would agree, but it just seems like a bad idea to take out a nuke with a bomb, missile, or by shooting at it.. If North Korea were preparing to launch one there would have to be ground forces to disable it. If we blow it up then it's just going to kill people in North Korea as opposed to where ever they were planning to launch it to.

Someone correct me of course if I'm wrong, but if you shoot at a nuke or drop a missile or bomb on it that nuke is going to blow right? Or am I completely off on how those things work?

Yeah, that would be bad, to bomb a nuke. But we have been training the South Koreans for 50 years, maybe they know how to deal with such a situation on the ground.

Also, we 28,000 troops there already.

NoKo must know that the US (and other countries) can see what they do, whenever they prepare anything we see it happening.

Personally, the more I read about this stuff the more I think how sad it is. Sad for NoKo, and I really don't believe they are such a threat.

But I'm no expert, just speculating.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

What does Iran have to do with this? thats right nothing,stop comparing Iran which is stable,prosperous country to N.Korea,its ridiculous and juvenile.

As Thomas L. Friedman would say, the world is flat. Iran is a totalitarian nation. North Korea is a Totalitarian nation.

Iran's economy is falling apart as is North Korea's. I don't know how you can say Iran is prosperous.

TEHRAN, May 22 (Xinhua) -- Former chief of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps Mohsen Rezaei on Friday promised to improve economic status if elected as president.

"I came here to rescue Iran's economy," he told supporters in his first election campaign in a mosque in Tehran.

He criticized the incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's government for inefficiencies in management and administration that has led to high rate of unemployment and inflation.
news.xinhuanet.com...

Ask the Saudis and the Kuwaitis if they don't mind a nuclear armed Iran. What these two countries have in common is that if they get nukes, they will threaten to use them every time another country disagrees with them.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
nukes equal atomic weapons, delivery systems include, bombs, and warheads. He don't need a missile to drop the bomb. Fact of the matter NoKo, has nuclear weapons folks, I am sure they can TRY, to deliver their payload where ever they wanted too. They do have bombers I am sure of. All their military technology is not publicly known.. Its a dangerous scenario folks, not a joke or laughing matter.. Its a threat to the entire world.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I thought so, but I've been known to be wrong on occasion.
It made sense to me that bombing a nuke is a bad idea, but I've never really paid much attention to the mechanics of them.

As for the troops currently in South Korea, it would be a suicide mission to send them in alone to disable it if North Korea were to get a nuke loaded missile up and ready. With backup from South Korea it might be a bit easier, but the US isn't going to rely on their help to be the deciding factor. They'll send more of our own troops in as well and that will take time.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

So because Iran are not bowing to the wishes of America and Israel they are acting like idiots? Atleast they cooperate with the IAEA unlike another certain country...i didn't see Israel in your little rant.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

No, they are acting like idiots because they are threatening nuclear war as a response to even an accidental skirmish as stated in the article. That qualifies them for idiot status I think.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Israel is not a signer of the Non-proliferation treaty. Thus they don't derive any of the benefits of the treaty and are not bound to the rules set by it. Neither is Pakistan or India.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by finemanm]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

read the two posts above me. They answered your question.

Sorry, but both of these countries need a wake up call to show them that they really arent as bad as they think they are. Sure they can take out thousands, but they arent on the millions level yet, where they need to be to be acting like the way that they are.
Now if this was China or Russia, I would take them a little more seriously, but these two countries arent ****. If they continue down this path like a bunch of morons that they are, than all they are doing is sealing their own fate for their people. Id hate to be living under such a rule where my life lay in the hands of a nutjob.
Can you really sit there and try to justify millions of dead North Koreans because of one leaders crazy state of mind? Might as well let Charles Manson run the nation, it would be no different.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adrifter
nukes equal atomic weapons, delivery systems include, bombs, and warheads. He don't need a missile to drop the bomb. Fact of the matter NoKo, has nuclear weapons folks, I am sure they can TRY, to deliver their payload where ever they wanted too. They do have bombers I am sure of. All their military technology is not publicly known.. Its a dangerous scenario folks, not a joke or laughing matter.. Its a threat to the entire world.

You're right. It doesn't take a missile to drop a nuclear bomb. It could just as easily be loaded into a bomber and no one would be the wiser until it was dropped. So they could theoretically drop it anywhere they can fly a plane to. Now there's a frightening thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join