This thread may well be in the wrong forum, if so, I would appreciate it if a Mod could move it.
Today I am in Scarborough in the North East of England.
This morning (08:50 approx) as I was walking into the town centre from the house I am in, I could smell something akin to the fumes given off by a
large vehicle burning diesel fuel. The smell was so strong that it was like standing next to a bus that had rev'ved it's engine too much before
I assumed that it was some vehicle that had been in the area, until I walked across a foot bridge that doesn't go close enough to a road for the
smell to be that strong... I could still smell this burned fuel smell.
I walked further and about a quarter of a mile away from the bridge could still smell this fuel-like smell.
I continued my day in the town and quickly forgot about the smell.
However, on my way home at 21:00 (approx), I could still smell the burned diesel fumes!
There is no way it could have been a vehicle in the area, and certainly no way that the smell could have lasted that long during the day as there has
been a slight breeze today.
So does anyone have any ideas, or know something that could shed light on what this is?
To point out a couple of facts however:
1) It was a clear sunny day
2) There was a breeze
3) This smell could be detected both near and away from roads.
4) There was no smoke in the are, and the atmosphere looked 'clear' (no haze of any kind).
5) I could smell this thing very strongly.
6) Other people with me today could detect and even complained about the same smell.
7) Before someone makes a wise crack... - yes I did have a wash this morning!
Anyone got any ideas at all?