It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tenth Amendment Movement Aims to Give Power Back to the States

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Tenth Amendment Movement Aims to Give Power Back to the States

www.foxnews.com

Fed up with Washington's involvement in everything from land use to gun control to education spending, states across the country are fighting back against what they say is the federal government's growing intrusion on their rights.

At least 35 states have introduced legislation this year asserting their power under the Tenth Amendment to regulate all matters not specifically delegated to the federal government by the Constitution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Ohhhh I really enjoyed this! Read the whole thing it's worth it.

I am a huge supporter of States rights! I even have a poster in my computer room that reads:
"Support Texas State Sovereignty!"

Here's more from the article:

"This has been boiling for years, and it's finally come to a head," said Utah State Rep. Carl Wimmer. "With TARP and No Child Left Behind, these things that continue to give the federal government more authority, our rights as states and individuals are being turned on their head."

"From 1937 to 1995 there is not one instance of the Supreme Court knocking back Congress," he said. "In the Constitution the interstate commerce clause gives Congress the right to regulate commerce between the states. That gives them a lot of power. There were questions of how far they can reach, but then comes the New Deal, and Roosevelt gets all these picks on the [Supreme] Court, and they come upon a theory whereupon congressional power is almost infinite."

Texas Gov. Rick Perry made headlines recently when he made a passing reference to the possibility of the Lone Star State seceding from the U.S., saying, "if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that?"

"The balance of power between the states and the federal government is way out of whack," said Georgia state Senator Chip Pearson." The effect here is incalculable. Everything you do from the moment you wake up until you get to bed, there is some federal law or restriction."

Go, read the whole thing!!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
S&F!!!

This is what our nation needs, this is what the people demand... More power to the state, means more power to the local individual.

Moments like this make me reconsider my resentment for how America has "gone soft" over the past few decades. (I'm not saying I hate America, in fact I love it. I'm simply saying that people have been sacrificing their Constitutional rights for way too long, now!)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

Hell yea!

That's exactly how I feel. When I read articles like this I swell up with pride in my country. With a Patriotism that is seem as terrorism by our own government.

Let me just puff out my chest and say this:

Note to the government: You smell of wee and I hate you.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I really hope something happens with this. We have been letting "them" get away with this for so long. Although there has been a similar thing filed in Washington State, I believe it was just a couple of the very few Republicans in this state who filed it (not trying to get a Rep/Dem thing going here, just sayin'). Since our recent history includes taxing most of the Boeing company out of state while providing an almost limitless supply of checks to the people who won't (not can't) work, I really don't see much happening here except trying to copy what the other Washington is doing. I do still have some hope though. Maybe some other states can set the example for us.

Oh well, at least I have supplies, survival training, and millions of acres of wilderness close to me if TSHTF and we need to go on an extended "camping trip".

S&F

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Let's see...

Africans fought for their rights through the courts and have won major decisions.

Native Indians have done likewise. As well as Hispanics and other nationalities.

Gays and Lesbians are currently fighting for their rights through the courts.

So can somebody please tell me why so many of these states are spending all their time and energy passing feel good resolutions to present to the President and Congress who will merely laugh.

They should take their issues to the court and have the court declare a certain law or program UNCONSTITUTIONAL. This IMO is the way the states ought to take on the FEDS if they are really serious about getting back and keeping their State Rights.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I don't know... I fully support States' rights, but I fear that this is another move to divide and conquer.

I mean.... It IS Fox.

And what Fox lets out of the bag...well, it's suspicious.

As long as We support the Constitution and do NOT war amongst ourselves, I want the Feds out. But I can't help feeling there's something up somebody's sleeve... Like they think it will be easy to create issues between States.

I can hope that it's just folks in the system who are fed up, and letting some truth out, despite the Masters.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
States having their full rights is something that we really need right now. I just hope they stick to it and don't get thrown off the path. Just my opinion.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Where were these people when Bush was in power? No Child left behind? Seems very BS partisan politics to me. I for one believe in States rights, but its just funny how this does not really come up at all by any side until we have Obama in. I would have more "Yea for Liberty" respect for these people if it didn't seem so fake and partisan. IMHO

The Federal government ran rough shot over us, the last 8 years. This, IMHO is when this fight should have started, and by ALL parties and peoples.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Finnaly the states are making a stand against the feds so we can go back to normal

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Unfortunately, tho, I think the Federal goverment may almost be too big of a monster for the states to deal with.

Consider it this way... some states are FAR more comfortable with the Federal goverment, and owe much more to it, than others. Only a unified state effort against the Fed will really make any headway. There are also regional state issues to consider.

The courts may or may not be the way to go. You never know when you might run into a corrupt or activist judge.

The only true way to effect this change would be to use the Constitution, AS WRITTEN and NOT AS INTERPRETED, and reign the powers of the Federal government back to agreeable levels.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
Where were these people when Bush was in power? No Child left behind? Seems very BS partisan politics to me.

Some people are just never satisfied apparently. Finally people are standing up to the government and all you can say is it must be partisan because Obama's in office now?

Back on topic, it's about time. Looks like I finally have something to write my representatives about that I support instead of things I don't support.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Let me rephrase so you get my jest ( I am no Obama fan, but I am sick of all the Partisan BS from both sides) IF only partisanship drives this it will fail, because it will lack true leaders who truly believe in states rights , if they did, they would have been there from the beginning .
Make no mistake I want this, but if it is just posturing and rhetoric, well then it will only get legs from people on one side.

Now if that is not "On Topic" I am not sure what is. I'll let the MODs decide

(editing for grammar)

[edit on 28-5-2009 by ShiftTrio]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ShiftTrio

I agree. My apologies for misunderstanding you.

And when I said "back on topic" I was referring to me, not you.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
IF states reassert the power delegated by the Constitution to the States, in time, the Federal Income Tax will be null and void.

Interstate Commerce BS will likewise be null and void.

In fact, almost 500 billion dollars of Federal Spending can be completely eliminated, and will not have to be picked up by the States. We're talking about duplicate services, programs, etc., in the Fed.

How in hell does it take over a billion dollars just to staff and run Congress?

It doesn't.

Doesn't mean we won't have a military and such, but that States will be collecting the taxes, and it won't be all that much.

Washington is a monster. And it's eating it's own.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Let's see...

Africans fought for their rights through the courts and have won major decisions.

Native Indians have done likewise. As well as Hispanics and other nationalities.

Gays and Lesbians are currently fighting for their rights through the courts.

So can somebody please tell me why so many of these states are spending all their time and energy passing feel good resolutions to present to the President and Congress who will merely laugh.

They should take their issues to the court and have the court declare a certain law or program UNCONSTITUTIONAL. This IMO is the way the states ought to take on the FEDS if they are really serious about getting back and keeping their State Rights.

When the Supreme Court is under the thumb of TPTB... Yeah that'll work.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

No Worries =)

Rad Avatar .. No Back to the topic lol

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ShiftTrio

We been fussin and miffed since Nafta,Bush was bad but he's just one of many.
Heres a good look at what the OP means and what it means.

www.legis.state.ga.us...

A RESOLUTION

Affirming states' rights based on Jeffersonian principles; and for other purposes.
WHEREAS, the Ninth Amendment of the United States Constitution states "[t]he enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people" and the Tenth Amendment states "[t]he powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

This is Georgias version, I live here and I support it,long live the Republic.

[edit on 5/28/09 by nickoli]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
I don't know... I fully support States' rights, but I fear that this is another move to divide and conquer.

I mean.... It IS Fox.

And what Fox lets out of the bag...well, it's suspicious.

As long as We support the Constitution and do NOT war amongst ourselves, I want the Feds out. But I can't help feeling there's something up somebody's sleeve... Like they think it will be easy to create issues between States.

I can hope that it's just folks in the system who are fed up, and letting some truth out, despite the Masters.

Well there is something up and it's pretty obvious.

By states ousting federal control over much of it's infrastructure, in the end the states make more money. Federal programs are designed to appear to be in everyone's best interest and by following through on them you then are eligible for federal assistance. It actually costs the state more to comply with the program than not. If the entire cost of achieving the federal goals was funded by the federal govt. then it wouldn't be a big deal.

But because of the economy and the outcry of the people the states are getting a backing by the majority of the people when they do this and at the same time some believe they could actually save money by not having to screw around with federal requirements in some programs.

Not all federal programs are bad but all of them cost the state money sense they are not reimbursed for the full cost but are required to follow it.

An example was you had to purchase work through a contractor or mom and pop store years ago. Certain stores then would charge very high amounts say 200 bucks for a toilet seat that met federal standards when you could get the same thing for 15 bucks down the street. That was one good thing the govt. eventually changed to save money but kind of gives the example of it.

Now would a state or states realistically save money? Maybe, maybe not however by the state taking more control over itself I could see certain funds going to state govt. as opposed to going up the federal money chain.

I would however rather see something like social security being state run and then money the state makes staying in the state as it would bring accountability closer to home and people would be able to better manage and police who was placed in control of it.

Or at least that's what I am seeing with this issue. Of course the state reps. might just be politicin to stay in their position and really not care at all but we'll see shortly.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The emergence of states rights may be the only thing that saves us from our own government.
Think about what I'm going to say, and don't cuss me till you think it through.
First, I'm no Bush fan, or Obama fan either. I think Bush was part of what you might call the ruling elite--NWO , or what ever. The Dems hated him and his policies. The left hated his incursion into our basic personal rights under the guise of, "it's for our own safety"
Now, do you really see any differnece with the current administration??? They have taken away more liberties, quicker, than anyone else in history. They are doing it right in front of the sheeple who voted him in. Obama is a puppet for the same people who pulled Bush's strings. Do you see him making any real changes as he promised?? He is a puppet folks, the same way Bush was. He's finnishing what Bush started.
The states rights movement may be the only thing we have left to honestly save us from these lemmings in Washington.
Be honest fro a moment, and get over your hate of Bush, --iwhen the day is over, has he done anything that has changed the way the government operates?? No, is the dorrect answer. his change is more of the same stuff., there is no duifference between them. They both answered to the same puppetmaster.
Look at the situation we are in. It started with Bush, and is being polished off by Obama. Your rights are being taken at an alarming rate, all in the name of , "we're looking out for you". So just for a momment, get away from the hate of Bush, and ask yourself, is there any difference in the end results between the two presidents???
Now you can cal me crazy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join