It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax It All!! (the VAT)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
That was the initial title of this article. (not my title)

Story Here

Now that the federal government is doling out billions in stimulus spending and bailouts, and looking for billions more for health care reform, the prospect of a national sales tax could be gaining some traction.

also -

The value-added tax, or VAT, as it is called, amounts to a tax-on-everything -- or TOE, for the acronym-inclined. It's a tax on goods that's applied in pieces throughout the chain of production and distribution and results in an increase in the cost of virtually everything you buy.

Some conservatives have called for something similar -- the so-called Fair Tax -- that would replace the federal income tax system with a national retail sales tax.

But critics of the VAT say it would almost certainly not be implemented as a replacement for the income tax system -- rather, it would be just another tax, on top of the income tax, the state sales tax and everything else.

This is more than a consumption tax. Both dems and republicans who are calling for this want it in addition to income taxes. And don't forget that Obama wants that mandatory 'help the poor in the entire world' tax put on us all .. (I've got no idea what the name of that tax is).

Tax on income. Tax on goods. Tax on services. chatter about tax on the internet.

Tax .. tax. .. tax.... We are slaves to the state. Can it be any more obvious?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Maybe I missed it, but is this a tax that would be placed on top of individual states / counties sales taxes?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Most of the Western world has VAT, but not state / county tax.

You can read more here.

Value Added Tax

I have a lot of business dealings with VAT in the UK and I am happy to answer any questions about the UK implementation of VAT.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Would implementing a VAT and eliminating state and county taxes violate the tenth amendment or State's rights?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I posted a thread on this yesterday here....although it's from a different article.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is does nothing to curb the size of government...only supports it.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
VAT is mandatory for UK companies who turnover more than ~£60k p/a.

If your company doesn't exceed that value, then you can become voluntarily registered, which is something i've done to reclaim all the 17.5% charges on invoices from three years previous.

Companies can stay competitive by not becoming VAT registered and thus undercutting competitors quotes.

There was something a while back called Carousel fraud, where people were bypassing VAT by sending goods around the houses in European countries and still charging the end customer for VAT.

Since the bailouts, the UK g'ment has reduced VAT to 15%, but suspect it will rocket to 19% once they are ready to push forward with their full blown over-taxation/hyperinflation plan.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
is this a tax that would be placed on top of individual states / counties sales taxes?

This is a tax that would go on top of everything - those taxes you listed would stay.
(Some say stay .. others say go. But MORE say 'stay')

Some claim it would go in place of an income tax.

Others say the income tax would stay and this would be additional.

MOST people say it would go ontop of everything else.

Yet another tax. More slavery to the state.

[edit on 5/28/2009 by FlyersFan]

top topics

join