It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amnesty: Economic crisis will aggravate human rights abuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Amnesty: Economic crisis will aggravate human rights abuses

www.timesonline.co.uk

“Underlying the economic crisis is an explosive human rights crisis. The economic downturn has aggravated abuses, distracted attention from them and created new problems,” Irene Khan, Secretary General of Amnesty said. “In the name of security, human rights were trampled on. Now, in the name of economic recovery, they are being relegated to the back seat. “
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Oh I new this was coming... Someone was bound to complain.

Finally countries are taking care of their own problems, aka economic collapse, and someone has to complain about not getting money donated to them. Let me pull up the definition of donation...

do⋅na⋅tion
  /doʊˈneɪʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [doh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
–noun
1. an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.
2. a gift, as to a fund; contribution.

You're complaining become someone isnt giving you gifts? Shame on you.

How do I word this so I do not sound like a complete douche...
Everyone is suffering and in the rules of the survival handbook "I come first."

I know it seems a bit harsh but hard times call for hard decisions and tightening of our belts.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Assessing human rights abuses over the past year, the Amnesty report found that freedom of expression was restricted in at least 81 countries and warned the recessionary economy could lead to increased state repression.

The way things have been going here lately I think that number will increase to 82 shortly.

The report also reprimanded members of the Group of 20 leading countries, namely the United States, China and Saudi Arabia, for carrying out more than three-quarters of state executions that took place across the world in 2008.

Are they talking about the death penalty here in the US? death penalty = state executions?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

They are reprimanding these countries for killing the people causing human rights abuses.

Someone has their panties in a bunch...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
As soon as I saw the name "amnesty" I knew that at some point in the article demands would be placed on the "west"

Also, amnesty can go to hell, criticising the US for executing murderers- I only wish our morally corrupt UK political elite would re introduce it here

top topics

join