It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Ordered to Stop Holding Bible Study at Home Without Permit

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I agree with you. If it were a Coven, more people would be petitioning, probably trying to get them to leave town. It's happened before.

But because it's Christians, more people are sympathetic.

I bet if it were a Muslim study group or a Jewish one, also being held under these circumstances and being ordered out, there would still be less sympathy and more insults being passed around.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Absurd

They should sue the county for millions.

Here is a copy of the citation issued by the county.

weblog.signonsandiego.com...

Apperently the code efforcement officer asked them if they say Amen and praise the lord.

Pastor Jones told KGTV San Diego that a county code enforcement officer had asked his wife Mary for details about the meetings.

"She said, 'Do you say amen?' and my wife said, 'Well, yes,'" Jones said.

"And she said, 'Do you say praise the Lord?’ she said, 'Well, yes but what does that have to with it?'"

www.catholicnewsagency.com...

[edit on 30-5-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

Kali Yuga

Most interpretations of Hindu scriptures believe that earth is currently in Kali Yuga ... Hindus believe that human civilization degenerates spiritually throughout the Kali Yuga: it is mostly referred to as the Dark Age, mainly because people are the furthest possible from God. The description of Kali Yuga given below is an indication of its interpretive relevance in our current worldly existence.

The "Kali" of Kali Yuga means "strife, discord, quarrel, or contention."

Rulers will become unreasonable: they will levy taxes unfairly. Rulers will no longer see it as their duty to promote spirituality, or to protect their subjects: they will become a danger to the world. People will start migrating, seeking countries where wheat and barley form the staple food source.

Towards the end of this yuga, Kalki will come riding on a white horse to battle Kali and his dark forces. The world will suffer a fiery end which will destroy all evil, and a new age, Satya Yuga, will begin.

Source : Wikipedia

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

Why do you ask that? Do you have something against wiccans?

NO! I love Wiccans. My Wiccan friends are the nicest - accepting - loving people I know.

I wish all people were like them.

I just doubt those here defending bible rights - would have the same opinion if it was a Coven in a private house.
[edit on 29-5-2009 by Annee]

I am defending bible rights, and I would defend a wiccan coven. I dunno exactly how God would feel about that one, hope not really angry, but I don't hate wiccans. I wouldn't mind having them as brothers and sisters in Christ one day. In the meantime, we all go down our own paths at finding the truth, and hopefully all will come to it. I used to be a wiccan too, but now I'm totally Christian. I still have a soft spot for wiccans though.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I am defending bible rights, and I would defend a wiccan coven. I dunno exactly how God would feel about that one, hope not really angry, but I don't hate wiccans. I wouldn't mind having them as brothers and sisters in Christ one day. In the meantime, we all go down our own paths at finding the truth, and hopefully all will come to it. I used to be a wiccan too, but now I'm totally Christian. I still have a soft spot for wiccans though.

I was born and raised Christian - - so I know all about Christianity. By choice I am no longer Christian - I was assimilated into the believe - but the more I studied it the less I believed the story.

Do not assume I am Wiccan - I am not. Nor am I of any "labled" belief.
------------------------------------

In my town Christians did march on City Hall. Why? To stop a Mosque from being built. The property had already been sold and signed - - - but they put pressure on the property owner and the city - a loop hole was found - - and the legal signed papers were denied. Fortunately - a concerned citizen offered another property and the Mosque was built.

But - this discussion is not about religion. A city ordinance was in violation. The proper procedure is to file through legal means and change the ordinance.

However - this Christian Pastor has used the media for sympathy and pressure. I am saying if it had been any other group who tried to use sympathy and pressure - - - how many would have been outraged?

If Wiccans had experienced the same city ordinance violation and tried to use the media for sympathy and pressure - - - I don't believe the same people would be outraged. If anything - - they probably would take the side of the ordinance.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I used to be a wiccan too, but now I'm totally Christian. I still have a soft spot for wiccans though.

Aren't wiccans lesbians?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

I used to be a wiccan too, but now I'm totally Christian. I still have a soft spot for wiccans though.

Aren't wiccans lesbians?

Aren't morons smarter than idiots ?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I think many people that are defending the country because of zoning laws are missing the point. The county only cited the couple AFTER asking them if they said "Amen" and praised the Lord. The implication is that THOSE TWO answers are what caused the citation, and demand for a permit. In other words, if it had been a poker game with the same number of cars, they WOULDN'T have been cited.
This is CLEARLY a violation of the first amendment.
For those so vigorously defending the county actions, remember a swinging door swings both ways.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
I think many people that are defending the country because of zoning laws are missing the point.

For those so vigorously defending the county actions, remember a swinging door swings both ways.

Let's be real - - First we don't know the whole story and all the details.

That said. An ordained minister - holding service in his home - collecting tithing - - - probably falls under unlicensed home business or something like that - - as I doubt he has tax exempt status.

Laws are in place for a reason. That does not mean they can't be changed or have waivers.

We really need all the facts on this.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Laws are in place for a reason.

Which laws ?

God's or man's ?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
How pathetic and emasculated as Americans have WE become? We are debating the finer details of codes and regulations that might cover an activity in the privacy of your home? What has happened to Americans in large cities? Have you become total obedient sheep begging for the state to allow you to perhaps have SOME unregulated activity in your home? Have you lost your cotton picking American minds? What is in your water? Are all you Yellow Bellies victims of alien body snatching?

Let me tell you what that code enforcement officer would have gotten if he asked me if I was saying “Amen and praise the Lord” (or ‘praise Allah’ or the ‘boogie man’ for that matter) in my home in this part of America where we still remember what being an American means, my one good foot so far up his back side he’d have hemorrhoids for pimples. Then I would tell him to go get his NAZI Storm trooper friends because I’d be waiting – and you’d have the 2’d Shot Heard Around the World you can be certain, because my 3rd and following shots in answer would be tagging and bagging.

Protest the citation? Are you kidding?.

[edit on 5/30/2009 by SGTChas]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
reply to post by Annee

Which laws ?

God's or man's ?

Baited question? I don't believe in a singular god myself.

However - social/society laws are put into place for a reason - - by man.

So in this case - - there would have been a previous incident of some kind that man deemed it necessary to make this law.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by Annee]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
An ordained minister - holding service in his home - collecting tithing - - - probably falls under unlicensed home business or something like that - - as I doubt he has tax exempt status.

They might be attempting to box the pastor into declaring tax exempt status as per United States Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. § 501(c)(3)). If they do that then they would probably force him into building a church which would then be subject to all city, county, state and federal rules and regulations.

He would then fall under their direct control.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You said :

Thanks for the 'open mind' ...

Whatever you believe in, or don't, if you're an American this whole 'issue' is 'spurious' ...

My point was simply this - things are way past the point of 'no return' ...

A man's house used to be his castle ... when did this change ?

Reagan, I would posit ...

Anyways, I share your concern, and I am with you !

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

This makes me sick to see what this country is coming to. They have every right to do what they were doing.

I myself am an atheist but, I still feel this move by San Diego County is wrong, wrong and wrong. That is what is suppose to be great about the USA. We can all believe what we want to and as long as we arent hurting anyone we should be free to practice what ever religion or beliefs that we hold without persecution by others.

[edit on 5/30/2009 by pcgeek]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

I'm going to assume that you're being serious and not rude:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This just seems like a way for the falling government of California to get more money; to get the state out of the unbelievable trouble they are in financially.

This is a sad day indeed!!!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

I'm going to assume that you're being serious and not rude:
en.wikipedia.org...

Didn't mean to be rude. Don't get me wrong I love the ladies myself.

Wicca (pronounced /ˈwɪkə/) is a neopagan, nature-based religion.

Wiccans believe in magic that can be manipulated through the form of witchcraft or sorcery. Some spell it as "magick", a term coined by occultist Aleister Crowley, though this spelling is more commonly associated with the religion of Thelema than Wicca.

"witches have little respect for the doctrines of the churches, which they regard as a lot of man-made dogma".

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Not all Wiccans are like that.
I'm also not currently Wiccan and still think the church is man-made Dogma. I think all religion is man-made Dogma.

But, there are good and bad Wiccans. There are good and bad Christians. There are good and bad Atheists. I'm probably a bad Atheist.

[edit on 5/30/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
reply to post by Annee

You said :

Thanks for the 'open mind' ...

Whatever you believe in, or don't, if you're an American this whole 'issue' is 'spurious' ...

Anyways, I share your concern, and I am with you !

Actually I consider myself human of Earth.

I do support a man's home is his castle - within the law. Meth labs and such - ya know.

Stay out of my government - I will stay out of your religion - - is pretty much where I'm at on religion.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join