It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WORLD: Korea Showdown - Latest News and Updates.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
Obama is going to give himself a hernia trying to push this under a rug. Lil Kim is losing it. His people are resorting to canabalism in parts of his country (see UNICEF reports) his generals know he is weak, his son is ready to take over and is standing in the wings.
This is the 3 am call that Hillary warned about, but even she is showing that she is incapable of handling this mess.
If you want my 2 cents, this isn't going to go away, there is a power vacuum and Lil Kim wants to fill that space. It's all he has left.
Which makes him far more dangerous that any soviet premier throughout the cold war.

There is nothing the US can do. Russia and China will always be reluctant to impose punitive sanctions against North Korea. The only thing the US can do, short of a military engagement is increase military aid to Japan and South Korea as well as Navy deployments to the Pacific, which could make China raise a brow. What can Obama do? What can Clinton do? They could only pressure China and Russia to go along with the US.

North Korea will get away with their nuclear test and frankly, I'm sick and tired of the world's inability to counter this problem.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Adrifter

I never post but that was laugh out loud , knee slappen funny. We all need a good laugh right now reading this mess going on. Thanks Reenie
_javascript:icon('
')_javascript:icon('
')

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

Wild....I just saw that as well.

I was researching Caspian Basin when I read this.

Thanks.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterRegal

We went into Iraq with less (you could argue the point) but unless we do something definitive, then we lose our place as a super power. Now some may welcome that, but what does that do for S Korea, Japan, and possibly Taiwan if we're nothing more than a paper tiger on the world stage?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
you know what i dont understand is if the ancient egyptions were brought here by extraterrestrials then how come no one ever harnessed the power of the atom? or the ability to pull matter out of thin air

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Adrifter

" star wars" is built. it is active in singapore, japan, austrailia and india. Not in the way Reagan proposed but in the way of conventional anit missile systems. This is what keeps china and russia in check atm.
They Know they can hit the US but they don't know and can't predict the survivability rate because of the newly assigned anti missile belt

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Ok guys heres my two cents,

First of all to respond directly to the topic, the US will not launch a nuclear attack on NK. There all multiple reasons as to why, with the strongest reason being that China will objective completely and possibly seek to retaliate. This is not because of their "friendship" with NK but because of possible fall out affecting Chinese citizens. Another reason is due to fall out in South Korea. Annually, around this time of the year, the ROK experiences a natural weather condition referred to as "Yellow Dust". Which involves the "wind conditions" carrying dust storms from China all the way across the Korean Peninsula. (en.wikipedia.org...) This is general not pleasant. Now consider for a moment if nuclear fallout, which shares a common density, were to travel at the same rate as this "Yellow Dust"....Not a pretty scenario for Koreans, nor for the US troops stationed in Korea.

The further complication is that NK has spent the past 50 or so years aiming missiles and scuds at Seoul. They have done this uninterrupted and I am sure they've come up with some pretty clever hiding spots. There are in the ballpark of 10,000 scuds on standby to level Seoul. (Just for info, it would take about 3 minutes for a standard missile to leave the North and land in Seoul.) Again, not a pretty scenario. The US is fully aware of this and has patriot bases setup to intercept as many as possible, but you know the old saying, "It only takes one scud missile in your bedroom to really ruin your day."

Further more, it is well known and generally accepted that the North Koreans possess and will use biological and chemical weapons. Again, not a pretty scenario.

Alot of folks think the North is relatively lo-tech and that they cannot hold their own. Well they certainly have enough tech to fight, atleast for a long enough time to wipe out a bunch of folks. Either way, there would be MASSIVE civilians casualties regardless of what transpires.

Now, I believe that the only effective strategy is to test the North's limits and pester them militarily, but do so without direct combat. Stop every North Korean ship in international waters for "inspections". Disallow NK representatives from entering any member countries. Essentially, push the North into firing first, and preferably force them into firing on Chinese infantry (but thats a long shot). It doesn't have to be a missile launch or anything like that, just one trigger happy "NK" soldier (Doesn't have to be NK, so long as it appears like its NK). At this point the international community should be in full support of turning South Korea into an island.

Anyway, thats just my two cents.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by MasterRegal

We went into Iraq with less (you could argue the point)

This is an interesting point. I think the fact that we are certain that NK has biological, chemical, and nuclear weapons and that we have been certain that they have had them for quite a while is quite telling.

GW based our invasion of Iraq off of "Intel" that "suggested" that Iraq "might" have some kind of WMD. Though the Intel ultimately proved a bit faulty, it was initially mere speculation anyway.

On the other hand, we are fully aware of NK's WMD's and have been for some time. Yet, we have also been extremely reluctant to do anything about it. This is a strikingly different approach. The question is why. The answer, I believe, lies in China.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys

Originally posted by Mr. rock
reply to post by Brainiac

yes i would agree S#@tting a brick would hurt, but i think they will say something stupid. but i hope we destroy them they just cant be kept as a country in there current stage they are a threat to global peace.

the problem is the biggest threat to global peace are the elites, they are the ones truly in control of what happens, we dont even get half the real story on the news. Everyone is now saying" Blow the N koreans up! lets sort them out because they are threatening our peace!" This is how public opinion is formed, and how public opinion goes in favour of the elites. The N koreans may be out of control but we have to understand there is a deeper game being played here to make us want to sort them out. I dont know what is up the elites sleeves but everything in the world happens for a reason to push their agenda, amybe this is the start of their 90% reduction programme, maybe im completely wrong, but im sure theres a purpose behind this, and the economy needs a war like we need oxygen.

Oh so right on Brainiac. It's their game. They know the chess board and control both sides. As usual time will tell their plans. Then it's on to the next move. Must say things have sure been very interesting the past month or so. Thanks for the insight everyone.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Reports are scary right now and as I sit here at 1:32a.m. I wonder what is going on over there?

The Chinese and Russians are in bed bedhind closed door with old "Kim" and they won't do anymore than spout a few words to apease the U.S. All the while Kim will sell his weapons to Iran and his friends down in Venezula. They are all in it together and you better bet America won't be the super power our Grandfathers once were when they are done with us.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by greentea40

Where are you greentea?

In ROK?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
BBC reporting chinese ships 'quit korea waters'

Chinese ships quit korea waters

Would they say if they were moving troops?

US says no need to boost troops in korea

[edit on 29/5/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I won't make any predictions or recommendations at this point...this is a very precarious situation and could go in any direction. I will make an observation, though, that I made to my son last night...Kim Jong Il makes Adolf Hitler look like the epitome of mental health. The lunatic dictator of North Korea seems determined to march the world toward nuclear Armageddon. Let us hope that cooler heads prevail.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
South Korea worries of more action from North Korea.

Reuters.com World news.

YEONPYEONG, South Korea (Reuters) - South Korea said an increasingly belligerent North may be preparing aggressive moves after Chinese fishing boats were spotted leaving a disputed sea border dividing the peninsula.

I dont think grapples is the right word.Spank your arse if need too,would be more appropriate.

US grapples with idea of permanent nuclear North Korea

[edit on 29/5/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The US is beginning to lift the veil a bit and have talked of an 'old fashioned war' with North Korea.

The United States could fight an old-fashioned war against North Korea if necessary, even while newer forms of conflict against terrorists and extremists continue, the Army's top officer said Thursday.

Asked whether the United States would be prepared to fight if war broke out between South Korea and North Korea, Gen. George Casey replied, "The short answer is yes," then added that "it would probably take us a little bit longer to shift gears" away from the type of counterinsurgency fighting that now occupies the Army.

Casey said his usual rubric for how long it would take the Army to gear up for a new "conventional" war is about 90 days. That doesn't mean it would take 90 days for the U.S. to effectively fight the North's million-man army, he said.

"We'd move forces as rapidly as we could get them prepared," Casey said during an appearance at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Source

So Casey is confident that the US army would be capable of an invasion of the Korean peninsula.

Unless the US had heavy allied support, I doubt that victory could be achieved easily without the removal and redeployment of troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

North Korea may not have the ability to project their power overseas, but at home their huge army would be well equipped and prepared to defend the country.

Their technology may not be at the levels of the US, but sheer numbers and fanaticism would help them hold their ground.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

A little bit longer to shift gears? What's that suppose to mean? shift gears to stomping assfault or just to have an ariel, sea battle with the N.?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by lighter78

A little bit longer to shift gears? What's that suppose to mean? shift gears to stomping assfault or just to have an ariel, sea battle with the N.?

I assume he means that most of the US military's current generation is used to fighting against guerilla fighters and insurgents in desert conditions.

The troops would have to adapt to a pitched style of battle in woodland and mountain conditions.

It is a fairly dramatic change from what they are used to doing.

And there would be no 'stomping assault', at least not for 2 or 3 months. By the time the main US force got the Korea, the South would be in ruins and it would be a matter of trying to fight the NK army back out of the South and retaking the country and the DMZ before any 'assault' could begin on the North.

The Marines at the border can't hold forever against a million fanatical soldiers bearing down on them and over 10,000 artillery pieces turning the landscape into a wasteland.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I think the US Air Force and Navy would be enough to do considerable damage to the DPRK's military infastructure to render it useless. This alone would be an advantage to the allies as they prepare an invasion. South Korea would have 600,000 already on the front lines. The US would likely deploy 500,000 (though I've read it could be as much as three quarters of a million). Japan would deploy troops. I would think Australia would get in on some of the action and maybe even NATO. Altogether, over a million quality allied troops with superior air and naval force should be enough to push through Pyongyang.

Once in North Korea, I think the allies will have no problem with the people once they see we have food, water and medicine. It is the loyal military that will be the problem.

Of course this is all hypothetical. I seriously doubt there will be a war anytime soon. Then again, Kimmy is a bit unpredictable.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterRegal

I think the US Air Force and Navy would be enough to do considerable damage to the DPRK's military infastructure to render it useless. This alone would be an advantage to the allies as they prepare an invasion. South Korea would have 600,000 already on the front lines. The US would likely deploy 500,000 (though I've read it could be as much as three quarters of a million). Japan would deploy troops. I would think Australia would get in on some of the action and maybe even NATO. Altogether, over a million quality allied troops with superior air and naval force should be enough to push through Pyongyang.

Once in North Korea, I think the allies will have no problem with the people once they see we have food, water and medicine. It is the loyal military that will be the problem.

Of course this is all hypothetical. I seriously doubt there will be a war anytime soon. Then again, Kimmy is a bit unpredictable.

That is if Kimmy is still in charge. It is my belief he has been dead for several years... but I'm sidetracking.

Air and Naval power would be an advantage, but it is like any invasion of a country. Those who know their home soil always have the ground advantage.

Air power and the navy can only do so much. Take out targets of opportunity etc. It would all be for naught if the entrenched guns opened fire.

The causalities would be in the millions, both SK troops and civilians. How can you claim to achieve victory if the war costs an entire country?

I don't think anything positive could come out of a conflict with North Korea. After years and years, possibly decades of combat the North might finally be defeated and Korea re-unified. But, there would be no South left (and not much of the North either) to unify.

If war does break out, everybody loses. And loses big.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join